Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

I found these old pictures taken in Southern California in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. It is interesting to see how they made the cars work back in the day. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

Very cool pictures! Thank you for posting them. Brings back a lot of memories.
I wondering how they got that Baja the was stuck between a bridge and the dirt bank.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

nice post! thank you
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures, Dude.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

Awesome pics! That convertible sure was in a bad spot! Shocked
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

Picture # 6, what looks like a notchback Baja stuck on the side of a hill, Does any body know where it was taking? those guys look like friends of mine, I am trying to go see one of them and show it to him and see if is them. It probably would have been around Lake Mead in Southern NV.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Picture # 6, what looks like a notchback Baja stuck on the side of a hill, Does any body know where it was taking? those guys look like friends of mine, I am trying to go see one of them and show it to him and see if is them. It probably would have been around Lake Mead in Southern NV.

eQ

I don't know where that was taken. The person who posted the pictures is named Richard Guillis. I believe he is/was from the El Monte area. Here is a link to the other pictures Richard posted: https://pbase.com/asmywhim/automobiles&page=all
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Old So Cal Baja and Sand Rail pictures Reply with quote

I've seen a bunch of these pictures before. I agree that convertible was in a "HOLY SH*%" predicament.

In the early 1960s, there were several guys around my neighborhood (Sylmar, California, north end of Los Angeles) who had offroad VW Bugs. Those guys called their cars "Baja Bugs" LONG before the yellow Baja built in Long Beach CA got seen in magazines and VW ads. That car gets called "the 1st Baja Bug". But it wasn't.

There was one neighbor who had a Bug with Bus spindles and reduction boxes. The front body was trimmed flush with the bottom of the front hood, and closed off with sheet. It then had a tube bumper with a skidplate. The back fenders were replaced with front fenders turned around. The 6V headlights were still on those fenders, with the parking light bulbs painted red and taillight installed where the headlight bulb would have been. Still had the clear glass headlight lenses. Then the fenders were trimmed off right below the "headlights". It had a convertible engine cover with air slots, that was trimmed off even with the fenders. It then had a tube bumper and a custom header and a skidplate under the engine and trans. The engine in the early 1960s was a Bus 1500. Wider rims on the rear with Armstrong floatation tires. The fronts were mud and snow tires in stock size on stock rims.

Wish I had some pictures of those Bugs from back in those days. But I don't.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: