Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

88 mm Slip in P+C sets
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

I'm in que for having a 1600 rebuilt in the next few weeks. So l have a bit of time to reconsider my options. As of now I'm planning on getting 88 mm thin wall slip in p+c made by AA l believe. I'm assuming if they were bad they wouldn't still be making them. Anyone have bad experience with these sets ? My car is a 67 Baja
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Are you reusing your heads? If not find a distributor that sells the thickwall 88s and machines the cylinders to fit in a standard 85.5 case. Then purchase your heads that are machined for the 88s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Probably be ok around town however if your buying heads just get heads for the Thick-Wall 88's.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:
I'm assuming if they were bad they wouldn't still be making them.

With that thinking you should buy one from GEX and make sure they use a Chinese 009.

Good luck with your build.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
5x205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

AA makes 88 pc's that slip into the case but are thick on the head end.Ive only read/heard good things about these and have consider using some myself for refreshing my 1600 dp in the future.These are the only 88's I would consider using myself.Gathering stuff up right now to go with dual carb's and may just redo top end this winter also.Seems like a good way to boost performance with out getting too serious (ie splitting the case).May even throw some performance workshop super stock heads into the mix also.The AA PC's Im referring too are actually thicker than stock 85.5 mm PC's so should live along time.Just my .02$
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
GreenZoomBug wrote:

With that thinking you should buy one from GEX and make sure they use a Chinese 009.

OP. In this case. DON"T LISTEN TO GLENN!
He's being sarcastic. At best.

I have a 1679 engine that I ran for 26K miles. It never missed a beat. It's sitting on my garage floor waiting for the next time I put into service.
It has AA 88mmTW cylinders. Yeah, you have the heads cut open to fit the cylinder tops.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:

Really? I think they will make them as long as people will buy them. Just sayin. Very Happy

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
OP. In this case. DON"T LISTEN TO GLENN!
He's being sarcastic. At best.

Come on, if the OP believes that parts wouldn't be for sale if they were not good then GEX will have the cheapest price.

But I know better. Wink

some quality parts that YOU can still buy Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
GreenZoomBug wrote:

HA HA HA HA Laughing Rolling Eyes Glenn's got it right there!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:
I'm assuming if they were bad they wouldn't still be making them. Anyone have bad experience with these sets ?

They "work"....... depending on how you define "work"

Is the purpose to make the machine do work for you?
Or to make you work for the machine?

This applies to cars and capitalism
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

My two bays both have slip-in 87s there not the best but I had them and in Alaska it cold so no problems but if you want 88's get the ones these guys are talking but you will have some maching to do.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Seriously...

You could build an engine with slip in 88s, cast crank and flywheel along with Chinese heads, distributor, carb and fan shroud. It might take some work to get it to work well. And then don't over heat it and don't expect it to last as long as a stock engine.

Oh.. don't leave home without your cell phone and AAA card.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

man thats a beauty intake Glenn
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
man thats a beauty intake Glenn

From this topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=760974

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

You won't know the difference with 88's or 85.5. Get 87's if it makes you feel better. Dual single throat carbs with a c-35 or 110 cam
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Guess l should of said, " If they were crap a Good builder wouldn't be using them" 😉

Glenn wrote:
GreenZoomBug wrote:

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Its a little bit funny that the crappiest parts are the ones that sell the best.
Thin wall 88´s - can - have a decent life span IF they are prepared and installed in the right set up. 25-30 years ago, when parts were the same price as today and we earned about half we did a lot of work to get the most for least anount of money on the table. I built a few slip in´s that did quite well, but it was a lot of work. I machined the cylinders down so I got zero deck. Then I got the heads machined with a step, (yes you read right) that matched the cylinder wall and had the deck height in the heads, ,047-0,050" deck height, slightly enlarged chambers to keep 7,5 CR. 1,25 rockers,32 Solex carbs and a 1 3/8" header. These engines had a shall we call it fairly decent life span of about 35000 miles before the cylinders were so worn that the engine burned oil big time.
GreenZoomBug wrote:
Guess l should of said, " If they were crap a Good builder wouldn't be using them" 😉

Depends on how much he cares about your engine AFTER it passed the curb.
also depends on how much you will be using the vehicle. If your just driving down to get ice cream twice a month I´m sure it will last several years.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

Had a buddy 'warp' them first time to the Dunes Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:
I'm assuming if they were bad they wouldn't still be making them. Anyone have bad experience with these sets ? My car is a 67 Baja

The bright idea behind thin wall cylinders was to cut corners and avoid doing the machine work but there’s a reason why cylinders are made to certain thickness, That reason is heat dissipation. If you use them drive gently and don’t overheat the car. I wouldn’t use them in a type 2 or 3 for the same reason, I ran them in a 64 bus and suffered the consequences so in the long run didn’t save any money in fact the opposite was true. They also made thin wall 90.5s but I haven’t seen them in years.

Regarding making and selling shitty parts, let the buyer beware certain sellers will sell rubbish, case in point small diameter crank pulley AKA power pulley which will make more heat as it reduces cooling fan speed. To add to the confusion you’ll get conflicting opinions from shade tree mechanics here that have no training but mean well just trying to help.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 88 mm Slip in P+C sets Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:

You're ASSuming they're a "good" builder.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: