Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late model bus 3 rib trans whines
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Que pasa Doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

I purchased a rebuilt 3 rib transaxle from JCS in California. I have it installed in a class 9 baja race vehicle. There is a loud high whining noise while driving it in 4th gear. I know very little about these transaxles. I do know that this noise is not good and am a bit pissed that I spent $2k for it.
I would like to know what possible problems might cause this.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

do you know if it got straight cut 4th gear put in it ? that will make that noise.
Que pasa Doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Unfortunately I know very little about the rebuild, but it is easy enough for me to call for that info.
Just in case though, what else might it be? I wonder if the R&P were not set up right...an outer axle bearing assembly from China was used...I don't know. And as of yet the builder has yet to respond.
I have been to Alaska fishing...not in the cold months obviously. Originally from Seattle.
Thanks for your suggestion.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

get a hold of the transmission builder and ask them what to do, or spend $2000 on the tooling to rebuild it yourself.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

the R/P would make noise in all gears if it was wrong. you said just in 4th so its right there. if this trany is setup for racing it could have a straight cut gear for strength I ran them in my race car and they are noisy. or they could have not put a matched gear set in and that can be noisy it wount hurt anything but the noise.
Que pasa Doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Two grand is what the rebuilt trans cost me!
It's under warranty, but I am 1,000 miles away from the shop that built it.
I am patiently waiting for the builder to respond...
Que pasa Doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

The trans is for a desert baja race Buggy. Either way, your responses have alleviated most of my frustrations, aggravation and worries. For that I am thankful.
Sadly, I have been involved with VW restorations since the late 60's but transaxles have always been farmed out to those who have the equipment and experience. This is the first time ever having this kind of problem. My luck.
Thanks again!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Here in Alaska Iam the only trany builder for vw's have been for over 30 years.
Que pasa Doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Your long time expertise gives me even more confidence that I am now able to relax and be more tranquil.
The air cooled motor is very reliable when compared to the water cooled engines up North and to be #1, as you are, ensures a comfortable living I'm sure.
I do appreciate your time and expertise.
If ever you tire of the cold...come south. The Baja 1000 is coming up and I am involved with a chase rig for a friend of a friend. Nov. 15th to the 23rd.
I believe I can wrap this thread up now.
Gracias
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

I do tire of cold after 50 years or it and Iam setting up my 70 westy to do some snowbirding (as we call it) and go to place where they only snort snow.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
I do tire of cold after 50 years or it and Iam setting up my 70 westy to do some snowbirding (as we call it) and go to place where they only snort snow.
glad to see you are up and about. Missed you.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Hi Steve
ya still here tired but here lots of medical problems but still here.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Hi Mike
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Hi Friar!!!
you still go by that?
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Hi Friar!!!
you still go by that?

'ol Beezerboy here
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

yep still Friar mike still here just been off doing other things like lots of camping and fishing with the bus but now its winter so not as much till next year. Iam doing a couple bigger engines for my 70 and 71 a 1776 and a 1904 but I have one more possibility in the wings for a transplant. Hi aeromech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q67LNGP3Dn0&t=131s
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model bus 3 rib trans whines Reply with quote

Que pasa Doc wrote:
I purchased a rebuilt 3 rib transaxle from JCS in California. I have it installed in a class 9 baja race vehicle. There is a loud high whining noise while driving it in 4th gear. I know very little about these transaxles. I do know that this noise is not good and am a bit pissed that I spent $2k for it.
I would like to know what possible problems might cause this.

Do you know what gear ratio was installed for 3rd and 4th? Aftermarket gear sets are not exactly the quietest, new out of the box. You just maybe have a noisy aftermarket 4th gear. Best you talk to your builder first to find out what was used. Idea
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: