Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
By the way, I think it was about '67 that they added a little tin piece to close the gap at the pulley.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have seen them on '65s and '66s, too. My '65 has the mounting holes and screws in place, but cover is off because it has the AC compressor pulley and belt.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The pulley in question (PN 113105251G) isn't a '67 only part, it was used on '68 models as well. You'll find that the inside diameter of the pulley hub was the same for all 40hp and later upright engines, it was only the outside diameter of the pulley hub that came in different sizes to accommodate varying sizes of case openings.

Thanks, do you happen to know what the overall diameter of this pulley is, and how many timing notches were on it originally?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
By the way, I think it was about '67 that they added a little tin piece to close the gap at the pulley.

I have seen them on '65s and '66s, too. My '65 has the mounting holes and screws in place, but cover is off because it has the AC compressor pulley and belt.

The pulley cover plate was introduced in December 1962 -- 36hp engine 3 949 223 and 40hp engine 7 336 420.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
Thanks, do you happen to know what the overall diameter of this pulley is, and how many timing notches were on it originally?

Overall diameter is 178mm; I'm not seeing any info specifying how many timing notches originally.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
Here is a picture of my 1500 in the convertible which is an Aug 1966 car. The 67 Sun Roof has the same style crank pulley and is a Sept 1966 car.

Nice, Richard! Almost perfect. (almost...) Razz

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

Overall diameter is 178mm; I'm not seeing any info specifying how many timing notches originally.

So 178mm diameter or 7”.

The Blue Bentley Manual for 1966-1969 states on page 59 of the engine section...”on the crankshaft pulley of your car you will find either two or three notches. The number depends on the model year of your car. On engines manufactured before August 1967 there are two marks, on engines manufactured from August 1967 there are three marks.”

So I would assume this means this particular pulley most likely had 2 notches originally when it was installed in a 1967 model year vehicle....but it could also have 3 notches if it was originally installed in a 1968 model year vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
Here is a picture of my 1500 in the convertible which is an Aug 1966 car. The 67 Sun Roof has the same style crank pulley and is a Sept 1966 car. ]

Nice looking engine compartment! I refer to yours when trying to make my engine compartment look as correct as possible. I’m curious, what is the red piece on the manifold tube (circled in the picture)

aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

The car came from Riverside Ca when new. That red cap had to do with the smog check back in the day.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

This is a remnant of an obsolete smog device. In the '70s California and perhaps others demanded a retrofit EGR or other device. Looks like the Grancor (as in Andy Granatelli of STP fame) device.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476285

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396364
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

The new to me ‘67 crank pulley arrived today. It cleaned up nicely, however
There are several differences from the crank pulley that had been on my engine (over and above the face of the pulleys looking different which I expected)

This one is 7” diameter while the current on is 6 5/8” diameter.

This one has just one factory timing notch on the lip just like the current pulley, so I’m assuming its one notch also designates 7.5 degrees BTDC like it does on the current pulley???

This one is approximately 1/4” shorter than the current one when both are laid flat on the bench. Will this cause issues with the belt lining up correctly with the generator pulley?

Last edited by FL-Frank on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

I have the smooth pulley on my 67 as well. I thought it wasn't original, but apparently it is! The single notch kind of threw me off.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

By using an 8” protractor, I was able to confirm that the one factory notch on the pulley is at 7.5 degrees BTDC. So, After carefully lining everything up with the protractor, I filed additional notches at TDC, 32 degrees BTDC, and BDC.

Once the black paint dries, I’ll mark each of the notches with a dab of white paint so they’re easy to see with the the timing light.

I’m hoping this pulley’s 1/4” shorter depth won’t result in proper belt alignment issues.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

Got it all put back together, started the engine, and the pulley was obviously rubbing against something Crying or Very sad

So pulled it all apart, and found that the pulley was rubbing on the lower pulley tin in a few places. After some quick tweaking to the tin, put it all back together and all good now Very Happy

I managed to screw up the fresh paint on the pulley during installation...but I kind of like the look of it as it now matches the patina of the rest of the engine compartment.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

I was also curious as to whether my very original 67 Ghia has the correct pulley.
I know the 1500 “H” code engine is original to the car.
I’m prepping the Ghia for a concours event next summer.
This thread cleared up the question.
The pulley is original!
Just need to freshen it up

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

For a concourse event you will want a month/year correct coil, not the blue screamer version.

Forty horse engines had distributors that delivered @ 20 degrees of advance so the first pulley mark was at 10 degrees BTDC. The 1500 used a distributor that delivered @ 25 degrees of advance so the 7-8 degree mark was added. The 1960's 1600 used a distributor that delivered the full 32 degrees of advance.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
Got it all put back together, started the engine, and the pulley was obviously rubbing against something Crying or Very sad

So pulled it all apart, and found that the pulley was rubbing on the lower pulley tin in a few places. After some quick tweaking to the tin, put it all back together and all good now Very Happy

I managed to screw up the fresh paint on the pulley during installation...but I kind of like the look of it as it now matches the patina of the rest of the engine compartment.

Your coil bracket is a later version, shouldn't have a round hole. Should be solid with a Bosch logo where the hole is on yours.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
For a concourse event you will want a month/year correct coil, not the blue screamer version.

Forty horse engines had distributors that delivered @ 20 degrees of advance so the first pulley mark was at 10 degrees BTDC. The 1500 used a distributor that delivered @ 25 degrees of advance so the 7-8 degree mark was added. The 1960's 1600 used a distributor that delivered the full 32 degrees of advance.

Great information!
I have a more correct coil in my stash. There is much detailing to be done over the winter.
Now if I can just find that correct date coded fan belt Smile

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Right crank pulley for 1967 1500cc engine Reply with quote

date coded fan belt, that would be a first and certainly do-able. don't forget the Galloping horse valve stem caps!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: