Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's scary what you find
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: It's scary what you find Reply with quote

under a relatively ok looking paint job

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wtf! it's been previously repaired with some effort. they've done some brazing but they loft a half inch deep crease full of bog that's now rusted out. I was expecting some rust repairs needed but not this. How hard would it have been back in the day to do this correctly?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: its scary what you find Reply with quote

You have to keep in mind that until very recently, like past couple years, Ghias were literally throw away cars. They were dirt cheap, so why would anyone spend more repairing them correctly than what they were worth? Bodywork is time, time is money, and creating, patches, cutting, butt welding, metal finishing and then fill work takes a lot more time than simply brazing over rust and filling it.
BTW, I’d look for a solid used decklid vs trying to fix that mess!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: its scary what you find Reply with quote

That needs a patch. I wouldn't ditch it just yet especially if it fit well.

Looks like they sort of pulled it out ok... maybe, but never finished the job?

Ghia lids are still cheap enough where finding a replacement might be a good option. Even then I don't think I'd scrap that one... it would be fine for a driver quality restoration/preservation if repaired correctly.
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: its scary what you find Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Ghia lids are still cheap enough where finding a replacement might be a good option.

not in Australia Smile

it's getting patched. Not too hard. And not really more than I expected.

I just stripped a door and that in fact was much better than I expected. No rust at all, just a crease at the front where it has been over opened.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: