Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sort / organize little parts
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Sort / organize little parts Reply with quote

I have had my bug for a good 3 years now. And in that short amount of time, I've accumulated small parts. Some are specific to my bug year, while others can be universal. Parts can range from nuts, bolts, carb parts, rubber grommets, etc right now I have some parts in 3600 Plano tackle boxes, and other parts I have collecting in a box. I don't like the box route as things get lost at the bottom and forgotten about. If I put all the parts I could in the Plano boxes, if have a ton of them. Also not ideal.

I have seen some people have these massive tool box type organizers, like what you seen in ace hardware where it's drawers and drawers of hardware. For me, that isnt cheap to come by.

So I'm asking the community. What is your storage method for parts, big or small. Any suggestions. Pictures of your organizing set ups?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sort / organize little parts Reply with quote

I got a metal small parts cabinet at a tag sale, 4 drawer with divided cubbies in the drawers. It originally was a metal screw organizer.
I shove a note written in pencil into occupied cubbies describing wtf the item is for.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sort / organize little parts Reply with quote

I like using what I can get for free, like milk crates for large items.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Used peanut containers made of clear plastic let you see what's inside.

And, my wife kindly gifted me some small organizers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sort / organize little parts Reply with quote

I use the boxes that chocolates come in. The trays have small pockets to organize and then label the box with what is in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sort / organize little parts Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:

Used peanut containers made of clear plastic let you see what's inside.

Man, that's a lot of peanuts consumed! Laughing
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sort / organize little parts Reply with quote

I was gifted one of those roll around stacking bins that she had some of her crafts in. Although it isn't clear, i just label the drawers. Works well for different sized items since the drawers go from small to large. For smaller items, I waited for a tote sale at Home Depot and got some smaller ones. Good for carb parts and distributor parts for me.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sort / organize little parts Reply with quote

The rectangular large plastic containers for "peanuts" are also used for flavored popcorn, mixed nuts, etc. Takes me about 2 months to go through one. The ones I've saved come in 2 sizes; one on which I can only get 3 fingers into the top opening; the larger one I can get my entire fist in. Square size works very well for best space utilization.

About 4 years ago I started to store pairs of used Type 1 cylinder heads into plastic translucent storage bins. I put the matching rocker arms in there also, along with a piece of paper listing where and when I bought them, as well as the price.

Nuts/bolts and smaller parts are in 7 "drawer" boxes like the grey ones shown by Mr Goodtunes. Plastic open bins work better than cardboard boxes because they are stronger, and like you imply, the bottoms cannot fall out when you pull them off the storage shelf. The plastic bins also don't absorb moisture in humid areas which weaken the cardboard.

When I take a pair of cylinder heads apart for cleaning, I place each component into a flat plastic storage box with moveable dividers. Only about $10 at Lowe's. I label the chambers with the cylinder number and valve location such as 1E, 2I. etc, using a permanent marker so that valve springs, retainers, keepers, valves, spark plugs go into those specific chambers. Place a strip of masking tape on the lid to mark and identify the engine they are from.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: