Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corvair in my bus!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

WRT light front ends: Early SWB Porsche 911's put glued in pig iron counterweights inside the front bumper. Certainly a relocated battery or some engineering would help. OR could just bolt some stock car ballast weights under the nose. Even 60lb would make a difference.

New criterion when evaluating co-pilots/hitch-hikers/big dogs/significant others: Ballast Potential. "Have another slice of pie, hon. The front end still isn't sticking the corners like it should."
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

Lots of work on my bus but no posting....photos in random order probably.

So I made added a set of gauges to my bus, Volts,CHT and Oil PSI.
I mounted the gauge holder-flange under the dash, using the heater control lever mounting points, using longer screws.
The CHT is non-lighted, so I took it apart and potted an led bulb holder and bulb inside, wrapped the gauge case in reflective tape on the inside, and wired it for lighting. Currently only have the voltage gauge hooked up. I wired it into the coil lead with a fuse.
Ive got an oil pressure sending unit yet to install (somehow) and a CHT lead to also install, once I figure that out. But for now, I like the location and the matching main gauges/engine gauges lighting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

Sorry for the hijack, but somebody please buy this 1976 Corvair camper in Kissimmee, FL, so that I don't. It's $4500, seems pretty solid, Powerglide, and engine looks like it's had recent work.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5823049167706995
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

….just more ongoing progress...

One of the problems with this installation is the gaping holes where engine tin/baffling should be. I dropped the motor and trans and made some engine tins out of really thin, but rigid aluminum. After the engine is installed, they screw in on the sides. I also used pipe insulation foam in the back...hopefully it can withstand the engine bay heat.

vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

My Dad put Corvair power in a 68 Deluxe bus that he converted to a camper. We lived in Phoenix area at the time and he wanted more power to climb the mountains. He used the Transvair Kit and his first motor was a 140hp. We deemed it too scary to drive with all that power. So we found a 95hp truck Corvair motor. That was a perfect setup. He traded it off without me knowing. Guess he knew I was too poor at that time. Just wish I had gotten it cause it was sweet. I still have the original brochure somewhere in my stuff.
86 Westy "Brown Betty"
87 Cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

If you ever find the brochure, I’d love to see it!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

where did you come up with the engine mounts?
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair in my bus! Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
where did you come up with the engine mounts?

Got lucky and found a guy out in Oregon who had one
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: