Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overlanding the Alvord trip video
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

We haven't been posting our trips on the Samba at all but i thought I would throw this one on here.
Sorry we are not doing write ups anymore and I might start doing them again as I kind of miss the experience of taking the pics and writing my thoughts down.
Anyway here is a video of our trip to the Alvord desert in SE Oregon last weekend. October is a great time to visit the Alvord as it is not as hot.
We also drove deep into the desert to find some great hot springs to soak in.

Hope you enjoy joining us in our adventures! The next trip is already being planned!!
nate

Link

That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Such a nice video series, great soundtracks, and wonderful places...

I'll be using some of your 2.2l engine mods in mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEiF8G8pT8

Thanks for all the time you took creating and sharing them here with us.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Another great trip. Thanks for sharing!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Such a nice video series, great soundtracks, and wonderful places...

I'll be using some of your 2.2l engine mods in mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEiF8G8pT8

Thanks for all the time you took creating and sharing them here with us.

Thank you for the kind words and for tuning in. We really enjoy documenting and sharing our experiences.

Red Ryder wrote:
Another great trip. Thanks for sharing!

Appreciated!!

nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Realy realy nice videos! Cool Makes me wanting to travel the North West again so badly...

Thank you for sharing
Stealth Ghia Transformation: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7226044&highlight=#7226044
My Berg5: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730276&start=0
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

halbug wrote:
Realy realy nice videos! Cool Makes me wanting to travel the North West again so badly...

Thank you for sharing

Thank you very much.
We are very spoiled here in the PNW for sure
nate
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

I've been watching your videos, and really enjoy them. This one of the desert trip was really fascinating. I bet the stars are amazing out there with no light pollution.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Great video! The Alvord is about 3.5 hours from me in Boise but I've never made it out there, thanks giving me a preview! Steens Mountain, which can be seen from the top of a range near here, looked much more impressive than I expected, usually that doesn't translate into video well.

Well done.

-Rob
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
I've been watching your videos, and really enjoy them. This one of the desert trip was really fascinating. I bet the stars are amazing out there with no light pollution.

Glad you are enjoying our videos and adventures! The stars were fantastic out there
nate
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Great video! The Alvord is about 3.5 hours from me in Boise but I've never made it out there, thanks giving me a preview! Steens Mountain, which can be seen from the top of a range near here, looked much more impressive than I expected, usually that doesn't translate into video well.

Well done.

-Rob

Man 3.5 hours is nothing! It takes us over 8 to get there. October can be a great time to see it if the weather cooperates!
nate
bryanarchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

I always look forward to your videos and this one was especially good. Drone shots on the playa... the best!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Great report! Makes me want to jump back in and head out. Love the drone footage.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

I usually prefer write-ups and pictures (like you said, writing allows for deeper thoughts to be expressed).

However, I think that in this case I'll have to make an exception: the drone footage in the desert is truly amazing, and I don't think pictures and words would be able to convey that feeling of openness and solitude that the video shows (you might need thousands and thousands words to get close).

Thanks, thanks a lot for sharing it, it was great.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

This is really good. It's nice to see more reveal of the Baldwin's personalities (e.g. I'm tired and cold and am relishing this deliciously warm soup I made).

I've made at least a dozen Seattle/Idaho trips this year and can't wait until one gives me a chance to add a visit to the Alvord area.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Great video. Looks like a fantastic adventure.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Thanks for taking me along. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the kind words on the video and I am glad you got to see a little of what Oregon has to offer!
Hope you guys can all get out there on your own adventures!!
nate
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Bathing suits at the Hot Springs ?? Laughing

Looks like a fun trip , We have done a couple Colorado trips, never got much further West, maybe after we retire in a couple years....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Looks like a fun trip , We have done a couple Colorado trips, never got much further West, maybe after we retire in a couple years....

Just because no one was there when they arrived doesn’t mean it would stay that way!😉

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding the Alvord trip video Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
crukab wrote:

Just because no one was there when they arrived doesn’t mean it would stay that way!😉

This

and it would have been hard to film and have no clothes on!! We weren't sure how busy it would get as we had not been there before. Hoping to go back this winter and hit them in the snow. Maybe then it will be less busy and we could have options Very Happy

nate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: