Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sudden backfires and severe loss of power
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifai.Ad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

A few days ago, a weird (but as of then insignificant) problem appeared: minor loss of power, windows of erratic idle, and extremely hard starting. These symptoms quickly developed and crippled my bug to the point that I can no longer trust to go into normal traffic with it. The symptoms I have right now are lots of backfires in very quick succession when accelerating, severe power loss (can barely get moving in 1st gear), and very hard idle. What is weirder is that these symptoms seem to diminish sometimes for a few minutes before coming back (usually when I have to start moving at a traffic light on the highway. Why do we have traffic lights on the highway, I have no clue Very Happy ). I have checked the valve clearance (adjustment was not due, but I did it anyways) and all of them were at 0.006 like I like them. I have made sure the HT leads are plugged correctly in the distributor and spark plugs, I made sure all wires to and from the coil are tight in their places, and I tried to spot sparking from the HT leads in the engine compartiment (although I did not look too hard). Starting is even harder than before, as the engine only sputters while cranking and hardly starts actually operating. The idle seems stable at first, but windows of severe instability appear during the stable idling, which sometimes causes the engine to die.
A very weird combo of symptoms. Does anyone know what could cause this?
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

How is your ignition? Maybe points or something loose/wrong inside distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rifai.Ad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
How is your ignition? Maybe points or something loose/wrong inside distributor.

Didn't open the distributor just yet (haven't reached that point of bug ownership Very Happy) but I'm sure it's just as easy as doing anything else on this car so I'll open it up tomorrow and check the gap, file down the points and perhaps spray a little WD-40 on the cap just in case it's got water in there somehow.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad condenser.

Richard O'Brien
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Look at the plastic block that rubs on the cam inside the distributor, if it snaps off it'll run as you describe.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Rifai.Ad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Look at the plastic block that rubs on the cam inside the distributor, if it snaps off it'll run as you describe.

Will do, I'll keep you posted!

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Sounds like a bad condenser.

I've got one in the shopping cart ready in case the normal stuff doesn't work.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Timing slipped?
Point hold down screw is loose?
Advance mechanism broken inside distributor?
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Could be several things but sounds reminiscent of when I'm starting my bug back up after a winter sleep. Usually it's junk in the jets of the carb and/or points need clean and re-gap. .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rifai.Ad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Problem solved. Looks like the distributor cam worn off so much that the ignition breaker was not lifting at all. Literally no point gap. It's incredible how it ran like this so far.
Adjusted the gap to 0.016, adjusted the timing, and it now runs like new! I'll be sure to grease the cam a bit like the others around here have suggested.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Good job!, now check and set (if needed) your timing, altering the points gap changes the timing.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Rifai.Ad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Good job!, now check and set (if needed) your timing, altering the points gap changes the timing.

I'm suspecting the timing slipped as well in the mean time since I had to turn the distributor a fair amount to get it set to...whatever angle the notch on my pulley is cut in at Smile .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Rifai.Ad wrote:
Problem solved. Looks like the distributor cam worn off so much that the ignition breaker was not lifting at all. Literally no point gap. It's incredible how it ran like this so far.
Adjusted the gap to 0.016, adjusted the timing, and it now runs like new! I'll be sure to grease the cam a bit like the others around here have suggested.

Yes, wore down the rubbing block on the points. Always make sure to put a little dab of grease on the distributor cam where it contacts that rubbing block.

Folks neglect to do this, and end up like you experienced.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Rifai.Ad wrote:

Yes, wore down the rubbing block on the points. Always make sure to put a little dab of grease on the distributor cam where it contacts that rubbing block.

Folks neglect to do this, and end up like you experienced.

And preferably high-temperature grease like disc brake grease as I was told as a kid.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

Bosch makes a distributor grease that is unlike any other grease I have handled.. it is more waxy than sticky, if that makes sense.
https://vwnos.com/5-700-002-005-2
Or this
https://vwnos.com/5-700-005-005
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

When shopping for points and condenser consider buying NOS rather than brand new.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden backfires and severe loss of power Reply with quote

I am a fan of old-fashioned point systems over electronic, but even German Bosch parts have had occasional quality problems with the rubbing block, all the way back to the '70s!

Always carry a spare. Cheap, easy to change.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: