Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdrabbitry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

c.davis419 wrote:
What an awesome score! I remember when I was 14 I had a newspaper route and a guy on my route had a Bradley GT kit car in his driveway I always loved. Your son is a very lucky, good luck on the build. Polish and reuse those wheels, they scream 70's!

I love the wheel, so does he. although 2 are ford 5 lug and 2 are not. would love to find a set that's all one pattern.
wdrabbitry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Great find and GREAT color! I would strongly suggest keeping that color for visibility in traffic! Check the engine serial number, it could be from a '70 and might match your registration. The rest of the parts are older as stated previously. Often they are register on the year they are finished and driven, no relationship to the year of the car or parts that they were made from.

Personally, I would love to keep the original color! However, not my choice and not my car. He's set on green and the motor has already been updated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VolksRodT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

Personally, I would love to keep the original color! However, not my choice and not my car. He's set on green and the motor has already been updated.

Hey, Mike;
Something for you n the young'n' to consider; I'd restore the OEM finish (gelcoat) if it's anywhere near as nice as it looks in the pics, finishing w/a good rub-out. If he still needs it to be green, I'd lay down a 2-3 coats of "Inter-clear" ( a clear "paint = coating" that goes in between different coats of paint - such as iffen you're flaming a car or panel-painting, or other custom paint) 1st, then lay down what color he wants. Reason is, because if he or you ever want to restore the tow'd, you can take off the top coat of paint & not damage the previously restored gelcoat, thus making it easier to reclaim some of the value to a collector. No downside this way. FWIW. Marcus...
zdmz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

It cleaned up really nice!
Looks like a great project.
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

VolksRodT wrote:

Hey, Mike;
Something for you n the young'n' to consider; I'd restore the OEM finish (gelcoat) if it's anywhere near as nice as it looks in the pics, finishing w/a good rub-out. If he still needs it to be green, I'd lay down a 2-3 coats of "Inter-clear" ( a clear "paint = coating" that goes in between different coats of paint - such as iffen you're flaming a car or panel-painting, or other custom paint) 1st, then lay down what color he wants. Reason is, because if he or you ever want to restore the tow'd, you can take off the top coat of paint & not damage the previously restored gelcoat, thus making it easier to reclaim some of the value to a collector. No downside this way. FWIW. Marcus...

Congrats, kid. Great find.
I'm a firm believer in "your car. Do what you want" and when done correctly, I'll be amongst the admirers, but done incorrectly, all you've done is turned it into a buggy that not many will admire.
Whether you like the color or not, the buggy is RAPIDLY becoming a collectors piece and you just stepped into a very adult world. The original Gel coat is always more collectable, admired and down right worth more.
You can always go back and paint it at anytime. It's a little more troublesome to take it back to original Gel color
Choose wisely.
Again, congrats, enjoy and I wish you MANY safe travels in it.

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
wdrabbitry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

Wow, been so busy and haven't been online much at all. Good advice on the gel coat, thanks. However, the gel wasn't quite as nice as it is while wet. I've made a deal with the kid, I don't want the car going anywhere! He made the choices, and as much as I liked the original color, the car is what we made it and I'm very proud of it. This car has spawned a spark in him and made memories for both of us. It has also resulted in another purchase. We now co-own a 1974 standard beetle that is our next project.

westy wrote:
VolksRodT wrote:

Hey, Mike;

Congrats, kid. Great find.
I'm a firm believer in "your car. Do what you want" and when done correctly, I'll be amongst the admirers, but done incorrectly, all you've done is turned it into a buggy that not many will admire.
Whether you like the color or not, the buggy is RAPIDLY becoming a collectors piece and you just stepped into a very adult world. The original Gel coat is always more collectable, admired and down right worth more.
You can always go back and paint it at anytime. It's a little more troublesome to take it back to original Gel color
Choose wisely.
Again, congrats, enjoy and I wish you MANY safe travels in it.
wdrabbitry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

An updated image of the project. Going to a club meet tomorrow and will be taking some better photos. It's 100% road legal now, aside from the still cracked window. Working on that.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

Great job!
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

Awesome! I think the green looks great
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

Great "end" to project.... Something to be enjoyed for a long time....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

$200.00????
Wow! What a deal your son found.

Most toads I have seen are infact green.
The only Towd I ever rode in was green as well. So even though the color isn't original. It fits the car well.

Where in the east bay was the last pic taken?
It looks like somewhere near Livermore.
The dried cow patties next to the car is a nice touch. Laughing

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wdrabbitry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

A killer deal!

Our ranch is on the edge of Napa valley.

67rustavenger wrote:
$200.00????
Wow! What a deal your son found.

Where in the east bay was the last pic taken?
It looks like somewhere near Livermore.
The dried cow patties next to the car is a nice touch. Laughing
wdrabbitry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

wdrabbitry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify my 13yo sons purchase please Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Great "end" to project.... Something to be enjoyed for a long time....

Ha, wish it were the end. Just got a line today on a 1600cc, nope it’s a 1915cc now built duel port motor. Still, deciding, but pretty sure it’s going to happen. Then we can flip this buggy over, LoL.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: