Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gsuffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I have searched the archives and the internet. I am simply looking for the color to paint 1968 T1 wheels. Paint code and/or over the counter close matches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gsuffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

Looking for something that is creamy white without being greenish or obviously cream/biege.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

Gsuffa wrote:
Looking for something that is creamy white without being greenish or obviously cream/biege.

Years ago I painted my early wheels using a white that matched my refrigerator, easy to get from the home store. Appliance white, which was slightly creamier than pure arctic white, but not a dark as "almond." I haven't seen it for a while, though.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

The '68 model wheels should still be the same L41 Black center and L87 Pearl White rim combo as used on most Beetles since 1965.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The '68 model wheels should still be the same L41 Black center and L87 Pearl White rim combo as used on most Beetles since 1965.

Paint example from my original '67 if they are the same:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

You can find the formula on the Glasurit website for Lotoweiss (Lotus White).

https://coloronline.glasurit.com/CCC/html/index.php

Enter VW, then model KAEFER brings up.

VOLKSWAGEN LOTOSWEISS L282 SK9900 4242 1965-2008

You can then put it into another part of the site for L282 and find this

https://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php?language=8

"Service Mixing Tools{ <ENTER>

And after doing some more fiddling around for L282 and it brings up Line 55 paint type you get this..

https://coloronline.glasurit.com/m5frameset.php

The website is very clunky but if you press enough tabs it gets you to where you want to be.

Target ltr kg

Base Amount Cumulative UNIT
352-91 175.7 175.7 g
M25 849.2 1024.9 g
M105 53.1 1078.0 g
A307 12.5 1090.6 g
A974 9.8 1100.3 g
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

Also note from the SAMBA Technical Page for Paint and Trim that some painted 1968's had L680 outer rims.

You need to check your car colour with that section of Technical to see which colour applies.

Of course for the xL41x (edit) L43 grey-black, you repeat the process I have shown above.

Last edited by viiking on Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Just for correction, the 1966-1968 had Lotus White generally not Peal White.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

If you want to try DIY with spray cans, I repainted a set of "hubcap" steel wheels for my '77 Beetle 2 years ago. Rust-O-Leum gloss canvas white, and RoL semi-gloss black*. I also found a "True Value" hardware store brand color heirloom white that was the same ivory. Front wheels are '73 4.5" wide, rears are Brazilian 5.5" wide.

I experimented with 2 types of masking the center section from the outer, once using many 4x6" index cards with 50% overlap, and the other was taping several thin plastic "For Sale" signs together with the bottom edge pushed firmly into the groove. The tape went up the entire sides of the signs so that no paint spray mist would creep thru any section where there was no tape. The "signs" gave a better result and was much quicker to position. I set both the wheel and the spray cans outdoors in the sun for an hour to warm up, and the weather was clear, low to moderate humidity, and at least 75 F.

*I caution against using RoL "Industrial" semi-gloss black spray can! I tried it, and within a few seconds the paint started to wrinkle! The "conventional" semi-gloss black worked better.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

L43 grey-black centers and if the car is painted VW Blue or Zenith Blue, the rim is L680 Cumulus white, all other colors got L282 Lotus white rims. Check with WolfsburgWest, I believe they sell a bunch of paint in pre-mixed spray cans.

Last edited by jhicken on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

Isn’t grey-black L43? L41 is just black iirc.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Isn’t grey-black L43? L41 is just black iirc.

Yes you are correct. I perpetuated the error by writing L41. I edited my post above to clarify that error.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

The black center on Volkswagen wheels from '68 on is actually the black primer coat that covered the entire wheel. It was also a semi-gloss. My wheels had the black under the front disc colors and it will not come off with any paint remover I have tried. The only thing it doesn't seem to hold up well to was the exposure to the salt and chemicals used on German roads in the 1970s. The back sides of the four wheel on my car had red oxide paint on them over the factory black and additional black paint over the red oxide. The spare wasn't treated with this and was very rusty on the back. Samba members from Germany told me that I was lucky because it is rare to find the original date stamped wheels on German cars. The salt and chemicals usually destroyed the wheels in short order. My car appears to have been driven only two or three years and then put in covered storage. An American serviceman bought it in 2014 and removed it from storage; 1974 to 2014. I have driven it a bit and it now has 53,040 km on the odometer; no cracks in the dash pad. Still with the original engine and transmission. It also had the original flexible brake lines, but I replaced them along with the front brake brake pipes. The flexible lines were date stamped 4/72; no checks or cracks in the outer covering. This car has factory ATE front disc brakes too.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

*I caution against using RoL "Industrial" semi-gloss black spray can! I tried it, and within a few seconds the paint started to wrinkle! The "conventional" semi-gloss black worked better.[/quote]

What were you applying the Rustoleum over? If it was the original black paint on the wheels I couldn't remove that even with paint stripper. Some paints do not hold up well to a Rustoleum overcoat. If you are going to use Rustoleum you need to use the clean metal primer which is also a sealer. The other option is to use an epoxy primer and a small spray gun.

You can buy thin steel masks for wheel painting. The black in the center of my factory wheels was not an additional paint but was simply the primer than came on the wheels. There was nothing under it but the steel.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

[quote="viiking"]You can find the formula on the Glasurit website for Lotoweiss (Lotus White).
VOLKSWAGEN LOTOSWEISS L282 SK9900 4242 1965-2008"

Viking, weren't VWs assembled in Australia but not manufactured? Assembled from Knocked-Down (KD or Crated) components? I think the wheels were painted when the cars were assembled like other cars that were assembled from Knocked-Down components.

I know that the US manufacturer Studebaker shipped KD cars to Australia where they were then assembled but the Studebakers in Australia didn't always match their American production models. Wheels were painted in Australia and not shipped already painted. So you will find some painted different colors than the America production or just black.

For instance, I had a 1951 Studebaker Champion that was painted Plaza Gray but it came with a Maroon wheel with Cream colored pin striping on the middle portion of the center wheel disc (about where the inner edge of the holes are on the '72 VW wheels. This was done with cars that originally came with hub caps not full wheel covers. The entire wheel was painted the necessary color not just a portion of the front or simply the entire front except for the middle that was covered by the hub cap..
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

You can go with the original paint color codes and get spray cans of these colors from Wolfsburg West ... but 12oz cans were going for over $20 each last time I looked.

I got this look using Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Protective Enamel in Black (#7798830) and Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra-Cover Semi-Gloss in Ivory Bisque (#249860). Before applying these top coats I had the wheels media blasted and I primed them with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer (#249322). I went with 3 light coats of each.

The semi-gloss actually looked like more of a satin finish. You should be able to find the black at any big box building center. I had to go to a regular hardware store to get the ivory bisque.

BTW ... you may run across photos from others that used a hat box type of masking enclosure to isolate the center from the outer part of the wheels when spraying for the two tone look. This hat box enclosure idea did not work for me. Did not allow me to get complete color coverage where the off white meets the black. I ended up doing a lot of masking with tape and newspaper. Very time consuming, but gave much better results.

FYI ... Tire is a BF Goodrich Silvertown with 3/4" whitewall. Original photos from '68 & '69 showed with these whitewalls and I really liked the look. You can go to: https://www.oldbug.com/fleming68.htm to see photos.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

[quote="viiking"]You can find the formula on the Glasurit website for Lotoweiss (Lotus White).

Your last two links do not go any where. I did a search for Marina Blue L54D on the Glasurit website but the formulas shown do not correlate with the original color formula. It states on the site that the formulas are based upon customer requests and cannot be guaranteed to match the original formulas.

I guess I will have to have the paint on my car scanned and the correct formula arrived at that way. I wanted to get some paint for touch ups and to paint the front block off structure or crash box between the body and front of the frame. I have a 1972 German (meaning made for Europe) Super Beetle. It has equipment you will not find on any stock North American Super or non-super.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

DesignBuild wrote:
*I caution against using RoL "Industrial" semi-gloss black spray can! I tried it, and within a few seconds the paint started to wrinkle! The "conventional" semi-gloss black worked better.

What were you applying the Rustoleum over? If it was the original black paint on the wheels I couldn't remove that even with paint stripper. Some paints do not hold up well to a Rustoleum overcoat. If you are going to use Rustoleum you need to use the clean metal primer which is also a sealer.[/quote]

That is what was so frustrating with the RoL Industrial spray paint- I first applied RoL rusty metal primer on the mostly bare metal wheel surfaces, then let that dry a few days. Gave the cured surface a light sanding with 320 wet to smooth it down, wiped it off with a damp cloth and let it dry. Set the wheel outside in the sun for an hour to heat up the wheel. The industrial spray caused paint wrinkles such as when you apply a lacquer over enamel. The industrial paint can was clearly labeled "enamel".

Quote:
you may run across photos from others that used a hat box type of masking enclosure to isolate the center from the outer part of the wheels when spraying for the two tone look. This hat box enclosure idea did not work for me. Did not allow me to get complete color coverage where the off white meets the black.

On the last wheel I painted with the plastic sign center "hat", I tilted the wheel nearly upright. This has the advantage of having the paint pickup tube inside the can always fully pulling up paint. If you hold the can nearly level such as when the wheel is down flat, once the can is about halfway empty the tube could pick up "air" and cause uneven spray pattern.

I held the hat on using 3 long strips of masking tape so that it would not fall off. I placed the other end of each tape strip onto the wheel's "safety hump" inner surface (where the tire bead sits) pulling it tight so that the tape also helped to keep the hat firmly in the seam between the wheel center and the outer rim. I held the spray can almost vertical and sprayed 1 light, then a medium coat right at the seam all around the wheel. Avoided the outer part of the wheel near where the tape was. Once that 2nd coat was tacky- after about 10 minutes- I set the wheel down flat, cut the tape halfway down with scissors and let the upper part of the tape contact the sides of the hat. Pulled the lower part of the tape strips off the wheel. Hat stayed on. Then I sprayed the outer section of the wheel where the tape was to complete the paint coverage. Worked out well.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

[quote="DesignBuild"]
viiking wrote:
VOLKSWAGEN LOTOSWEISS L282 SK9900 4242 1965-2008"

Viking, weren't VWs assembled in Australia but not manufactured? Assembled from Knocked-Down (KD or Crated) components? I think the wheels were painted when the cars were assembled like other cars that were assembled from Knocked-Down components.

I know that the US manufacturer Studebaker shipped KD cars to Australia where they were then assembled but the Studebakers in Australia didn't always match their American production models. Wheels were painted in Australia and not shipped already painted. So you will find some painted different colors than the America production or just black.

For instance, I had a 1951 Studebaker Champion that was painted Plaza Gray but it came with a Maroon wheel with Cream colored pin striping on the middle portion of the center wheel disc (about where the inner edge of the holes are on the '72 VW wheels. This was done with cars that originally came with hub caps not full wheel covers. The entire wheel was painted the necessary color not just a portion of the front or simply the entire front except for the middle that was covered by the hub cap..

VW were fully manufactured in Australia up to about calendar 67 early 68 using the 1961 body shape, 6V, swing axle, sloping headlights, unique colours, 5 stud wheels. Local content manufacture to German specs was up to 95%. For example we had our own Bosch manufacturing plants for generators and starter motors.

If my North American friends are so enamoured with the "1967 One-year only" uniqueness of a US 67 then "you ain't seen nothing yet" until you see an Aussie 1967 VW.

CKD production came into effect in 1968 to the new "Euro-specced" 12V, large window, disc braked, swing axle, low back seat, unpadded dash version. To fill the gap between local production and CKD, 1968 model year cars were fully imported. Mine is one of those, being bought by my father. Whilst the new car was popular there were lots of the old ones they had to clear as the popularity of the "old" model was no longer there or competitive in price, hence the demise of local production. CKD production of VW and Nissans then continued in the old VW factory.

The small window body presses were sold to Brazil who continued to use them up until 1984 model year with some modification.

The wheels are definitely grey black inners with Lotus White outers. I have a couple of sets of rims which I have come but with a 68 stamp on them and they are all the same.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Color to paint 1968 T1 wheels Reply with quote

[quote="DesignBuild"]
viiking wrote:

Your last two links do not go any where. I did a search for Marina Blue L54D on the Glasurit website but the formulas shown do not correlate with the original color formula. It states on the site that the formulas are based upon customer requests and cannot be guaranteed to match the original formulas.

I guess I will have to have the paint on my car scanned and the correct formula arrived at that way. I wanted to get some paint for touch ups and to paint the front block off structure or crash box between the body and front of the frame. I have a 1972 German (meaning made for Europe) Super Beetle. It has equipment you will not find on any stock North American Super or non-super.

Interesting that the links didn't work. I copied and pasted the link for each page.

Marina Blue has three different formulae based on the type of paint. Did you check them all?

Line 55
352-91 175.6 175.6 g
M25 790.0 965.7 g
A589 41.2 1006.9 g
A929 34.7 1041.6 g
M105 25.0 1066.6 g
A640 19.5 1086.1 g

Line 90

M4 566.5 566.5 g
A031 556.0 1122.5 g
A926 36.3 1158.9 g
A149 19.7 1178.5 g
A640 18.2 1196.8 g
A589 10.6 1207.4 g

Line 68

M135 302.0 302.0 g
T002 784.8 1086.8 g
T920 112.4 1199.2 g
T500 44.5 1243.7 g
T600 36.3 1280.0 g
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: