Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Ok, I filled up the transmission, it took 3 1/2 liters to get
it at the right level. The selector cable was also slightly off, though it engaged the parking brake properly. So far, it seems to be working normally, backing up turning around and driving it back in the garage. I won’t know for sure until I take it out in the road.

I also ran some UV dye through it before dumping the oil. The expected swirl of fine metal swirls on top of the oil, a couple small bits of carbon and case sealant. No chunks or anything magnetic. That’s a relief.

Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Fingers crossed, sounds promising.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Keep us posted brother.

What’s That Noise?!?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

So far so good. I got a good look at the bell housing and it’s bone dry. It’s not leaking from there. The drive plate at the right angle let’s you see the gallery plugs and cam plug. It’s not leaking much at all actually. A couple drips from around the oil filter...the usual suspects above it to check.

I drove it about 100 yards...new backing plates or the pads are rubbing so I have to go through that. I don’t really feel any drag though, just noise. Transmission seems fine so far. I am doubting some of my reasoning about all the disasters that happened. All that smoke really shook me up. I start a new engine and I lose my mind. The transmission shift linkage had been slightly out of adjustment and the low fluid didn’t help. I’m still not sure what happened.

I am down to sorting out the little chicken shit...bumped the distributor as I had left it loose to adjust it and flooded the engine trying to start it. Wire fell off choke. Some arcing from a loose condenser. Other choke hung up or misadjusted. Then I ran out of gas.

The cross bar cup bushing and spring is a hardware store arrangement. The correct one came yesterday. The linkage needs some truing up. It’s fine when you work it from the engine, but does it’s own thing after a couple pulls with the pedal. All the little things when putting in a new engine and the stock carbs that haven’t been on for 25 years.

Some new things I did notice. Engine runs very quietly with a lot less vibration. The first couple times I started it I was sure the starter wasn’t engaging. It just sort of whizzes around. It always used to feel like I was cranking an old washing machine and it sounded like a barking metal seal. Hopefully I’ll have it all sorted out over the weekend.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Quote:
new backing plates or the pads are rubbing so I have to go through that.
maybe this? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546653&highlight=axle+spacer If the newer 251 backing plates are used they require the newer axle bearing spacers too.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
maybe this? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546653&highlight=axle+spacer If the newer 251 backing plates are used they require the newer axle bearing spacers too.

Thanks. I have read up on that. There are a couple of solutions I have seen including using Type 1 fan pulley shims, having the ?inner? lip of the drum turned down or just letting the drums do there own clearancing. I’ve never done drums before so it could be my adjustment. Pretty sure I have the backing plates you described. The stamping is ever so slightly raised in a couple spots along the edge. Some dull winter night I will finish welding up my old ones. Those kinds of welding projects help me unwind.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:

Thanks. I have read up on that. There are a couple of solutions I have seen including using Type 1 fan pulley shims, having the ?inner? lip of the drum turned down or just letting the drums do there own clearancing. I’ve never done drums before so it could be my adjustment. Pretty sure I have the backing plates you described. The stamping is ever so slightly raised in a couple spots along the edge. Some dull winter night I will finish welding up my old ones. Those kinds of welding projects help me unwind.
my new plates rubbed. It wasn't until I found the VW kb that addressed it that it was solved. The late buses use the later plates but wider spacers.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Finally! I finished adjusting the rear brakes last night and securing the fuel lines.

My ring brake-in drive went really well. Smooth and quiet with lots of pickup and no hesitation off idle. The transmission shifted smoothly through the gears and seems to actuality be smoother and better timed with the original carbs.

The brakes were noisy at first because of the backing plates but diminished as I drove. They are only rubbing slightly in a couple of spots where the stamping is raised on the backing plate. I got rid of most of the noise by tapping those down with a hammer and dolly.

I am still having flooding problems at startup. The carbs were just slapped on and the linkage eyeballed so it needs some attention. We put on a German 009 that was known to be reliable with a known advance curve just to get it running.

There are the usual kinks to sort out as I drive it into reliability. It’s been a long haul getting here. I dropped the last engine November 17, 2019.

I have really appreciated all the help and handholding through this whole endless project.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Wink
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Nice work. Now get out there and get some hard miles on it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

I’m still messing with the dual carbs. They flood when starting. I will get it sorted out, but there is a learning curve for sure and for any kind of long distance travel you really have to know the ins and outs.

As much as the single progressive is maligned it would be my first choice for travel in the third world. You may have to dance on the pedal for awhile on cold days but it is simple and predictable. If the originals prove to be temperamental delicate flowers after understanding them and setting them up properly, I will consider a set of Weber 40’s.

I have a a 100 mile round trip commute to work, so I plan to drive the bus until the snow flies. Best thing with these buses is to keep driving them, tighten the stuff that rattled loose, put the stuff that falls off back on. Eventually you find yourself down to oil changes, valve adjustments and checking timing. I have been there before, it was a joy to drive.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

It will be snowing up there next week Laughing

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:

I’m still messing with the dual carbs. They flood when starting. I will get it sorted out, but there is a learning curve for sure and for any kind of long distance travel you really have to know the ins and outs.

As much as the single progressive is maligned it would be my first choice for travel in the third world. You may have to dance on the pedal for awhile on cold days but it is simple and predictable. If the originals prove to be temperamental delicate flowers after understanding them and setting them up properly, I will consider a set of Weber 40’s.

I have a a 100 mile round trip commute to work, so I plan to drive the bus until the snow flies. Best thing with these buses is to keep driving them, tighten the stuff that rattled loose, put the stuff that falls off back on. Eventually you find yourself down to oil changes, valve adjustments and checking timing. I have been there before, it was a joy to drive.

do they have chokes?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
orwell84 wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:

do they have chokes?

Yes indeed.

That seems to be the issue. They aren’t adjusted and just do their own thing. They both work. It seems that I have been fighting one open off the fast idle cam and it still doesn’t open all the way...so time to adjust.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

I adjusted the chokes to be slightly open. They were completely closed before. Starts are way better. No flooding. I’m getting the hang of how they work. Take offs are so much better even running a 009. It will take me some time to dial them in and I still need to rebuild an original distributor I have with the working vac can I have.

Planning to hook up the original heater boxes soon. Last night I got all the lights working. In spite of the new wiring, I still needed to clean up some grounds, fuse connections and wiggle some light bulbs.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

sweet. i'm glad it's coming together for you Cool

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

you want to set the fast idle cams to a specific speed. Then adjust the chokes to where they are open in a couple minutes and don't burble as you drive off. I used to do it by feel - meaning touching them with my finger or screwdriver to feel the resistance to opening. There is also an unloader on most, which means that when the engine needs more air when it is cold, the vacuum opens them a certain amount. Make very small changes at this point.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Just a quick update. Drove over to Vermont to visit my fiancé and my friend Paul. I have been telling them for many months that my bus will be ready in 2 weeks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We went for a nice easy drive to a flea market and a tour of the back roads.

Paul has been helping with the bus the last couple of years with lots of good advice, a hard day of hands to get me over the hump and much needed friendship and encouragement. He really seemed to enjoy driving it.

I have been taking it slowly but so far it’s gone well. The carbs work really well so far with a nice transition from fast idle to off the chokes, though adjusting chokes when it’s room temp outside is probably not a huge accomplishment. Lots of torque on hills. Oil pressure was 40 psi & 3200 rpm with the oil temp @ 210*F. That was kind of my last big concern. I thought that was pretty good for running 10-30 in the summer. I think Phil’s blueprinted stick pump helps as well as the new pressure relief piston and spring. Getting the oil clearances on the numbers didn’t hurt either.

So far I have only set up the carbs by eyeballing the linkage but they already way better than the dual Weber’s I ran years back. There is no bog and no need to nurse the throttle through a long warm up before getting underway. It also works very nicely with the auto trans. I’m really pleased.

This weekend I am adjusting the valves, tightening stuff up and chasing down a couple minor oil leaks. Earlier this week it passed inspection. I’m planning to enjoy it for the rest of the fall for some foliage viewing and just putting around.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

I guess it’s time to call this thread over. 1000+ miles on the engine and all is well. I have been on a couple camping trips and drive it to work fairly often. A couple weeks ago, I had it up to 80 on the highway. It was still pulling strong but that was good enough for me. I’m currently going through a long list of little things on the bus and getting the stock heating system finished; heater cables, tubes, etc. The front end needs some attention and I will be getting back to the remaining sheet metal work...mostly redoing some old work that was solid and functional but could be better. Mostly, I plan to DRIVE it as often as possible and maintain, fine tune and conserve.

crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Glad it's going well and your enjoying a nice Very Happy Bus.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 37

Jump to: