Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

I knownit had been in the 10s with that engine combo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Hoping to be back on this this summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Im not sure TC is too far off...and like me puts it in plane english... Shocked Confused Wink eye wood of done funny car type cage/cages if it were mine,... but if your short add a few inches for resail....but too much. be sure to get it right. seat, seat pad,driver seated correctly.,helmut..roll bar pading thickness etc.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

I have set all this up on my street/strip car before, compression of seat padding is a big one.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
I have set all this up on my street/strip car before, compression of seat padding is a big one.

That's why we can't use padded seats or padding in LSR racing. Metal seats for hardass drivers. Then there's the whole tighten your belts till you can't breath and then 2 more tugs thing......

brad
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Trends-Volkswagen-Maga...SwPzZfKgIg
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

That is the longer car after mine. I have that copy, thank you!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

Then there's the whole tighten your belts till you can't breath and then 2 more tugs thing......

brad

Haha
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

If the body is already stretched and the road rash is relatively easy to repair you should consider leaving it as is with the longer wheelbase [ assuming you plan to race the car a good bit and go really fast]. Part of the reasons that VW drag cars crash so much is the short wheelbase. They get the least bit out of shape and often no driver ever born could save it.

The example that comes to my mind is that baby blue Fiat 850 spider with VW power. Wheelbase on an 850 is 79". It's ridiculous to be running this short of a WB at the speeds a turbo VW motor will power it to.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

This is the OG speedster body, road rash and all w/ the short wheelbase
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Well, I was so unhappy with things, I tossed it all and will be starting over. I am hoping to find a chassis without a body from the era (early 80s) and work out from there.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

I may have found a suitable candidate. I will look at it in 2 weeks. Maybe, finally, some forward progress can happen...
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Looking forward to updates.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The chassis candidate should be picked up Tuesday. It has to be shortened, but at the worst, it will be a good jig to build off of. Oh, and will be midengine! Was a v8 sand drag car in it's hayday.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

I pick it up today. Then, use it as a jig for building in the correct size tubing. Tank, steering, steering wheel, pedals, etc can all be reused.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Just got home.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

It looks like a good foundation to start.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Well, it will now be just a jig. I just found out this car is a former record holder and the car deserves to be revived!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Woot! Tomorrow, Saturday, I am taking another road trip to learn more about this chassis and possibly pick up some parts for mounting the drivetrain. If this goes correctly, the car will be revived AND the rear subframe will be interchangeable with the LGK3 so that I can not have to build 2 engines/transmissions. Tomorrow will be a great learning day! Live axle, midengine magic!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: