Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Driving a few days ago the #2 spark plug blew out of the cylinder head when I went to go from a light. Car still ran on 3 cylinders so I was able to limp it back home.
I tried futilely for a couple hours yesterday to thread the plug back in, it simply will not catch so I am sure the threads in the head are damaged.
I bought a spark plug thread repair kit from autozone, that has basically a two-part combo tap that has the 14mm tapping threads at the front, and then larger (16mm I think, not sure) threads farther back on the tap to enlarge the hole for the insert. here is the kit I bought:

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...141511_0_0

Due to this design, it appears the front of the tap will have to enter the combustion chamber as I am tapping. Is there any risk of me hitting the piston as I am tapping? thx

BTW, the reason I don't just simply drop the engine is because I am currently temporarily residing in an apartment until I close on new house in a few weeks, so i don't have a garage to do the work (apartment will not let me work on the car in the parking lot) and I really need this driveable. Thx

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Not if you take the piston off of TDC. Just position the piston slightly lower on its power stroke.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Due to this design, it appears the front of the tap will have to enter the combustion chamber as I am tapping. Is there any risk of me hitting the piston as I am tapping? thx

Once the spark plug is removed, you could insert a plastic drinking straw through the open spark plug hole and rotate the engine with a wrench until the piston reaches its low point.

I also had the #2 plug blow out in 2007 on my 1835cc engine, and I used a solid threaded insert to fix it, without pulling the engine. See https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217316&highlight=solid+threaded+insert

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8902559#8902559

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709922

Some solid inserts are stronger than others. In my thread posted earlier, I used red Loctite on the outer threads of the insert after cleaning the threads in the head, and never-seize lubricant on the spark plug threads. And I torqued to specifications, and I can understand how some folks would be reluctant to fully torque these.

The best inserts are considered to be Time-Sert, but I didn't use those. Those require special tool to install, see http://www.aircooled.net http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=time+sert who also rents the tools.

14mm x 1.25mm spark plug thread size
In my 1835cc street non-racing engine and my 1600cc engines I use Bosch WR8AC or NGK B6HS; Both are 1/2" reach
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Thanks all,
Cusser I actually have a Timesert set I got on clearance from aircooled.net a couple months back when my oil pressure switch threads stripped out. But it's only for that size thread. I agree Timeserts are the best, but I figure if this will get me by until I get into the new house and am able to drop the engine later down the line that will work OK.
I was going to use Loctite myself on the insert, but the instructions for this kit actually say to apply high-temp RTV sealant to the outside of the insert instead. I suppose either would work.

1600 SP engine
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Put grease on tap threads to catch the chips then clean off with alcohol.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Put grease on tap threads to catch the chips then clean off with alcohol.

Boy you should have seen all the shavings that came out with the tap Surprised

1600 SP engine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
In my thread posted earlier, I used red Loctite on the outer threads of the insert after cleaning the threads in the head, and never-seize lubricant on the spark plug threads. And I torqued to specifications, and I can understand how some folks would be reluctant to fully torque these.

All I can say is what I did has worked for me, and this VW has been on a couple of 105 mile highway trips as well, Arizona heat.

I will say that with my first insert repair, I was fearful of overtightening the spark plug after the repair. By the time I later re-did this with a new insert of better quality, I owned a digital torque wrench, and torqued to specification of 22-29 ft lbs, which was more than I've historically tightened spark plugs by hand, going by the comparison of effort by feel. So I'd say not to be fearful, trust the torque wrench and factory specifications.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

OK got the insert installed and the spark plug in- everything seems good, but Cusser I tried to torque it to 25 ft/lbs and it just never wanted to get there, I was afraid keeping trying to tighten it my be threading the insert into the chamber so I left it as is. Seems tight though so I think it will be fine.
Only other issue I just noticed when I went to reattach the plug wire is that it apparently blew off part of the connector that slides onto the plug, so now the plug wire won't reattach. I have seen though that some vendors sell just the plug-end connector by itself, so I will order one of those and then hopefully I will be good to go.

1600 SP engine
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Turn the motor over by hand first to make sure the insert didn't thread into the chamber and hit the piston. Look around the engine compartment for the plug wire end and you might find it, just use a bright flashlight.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I just noticed when I went to reattach the plug wire is that it apparently blew off part of the connector that slides onto the plug, so now the plug wire won't reattach. I have seen though that some vendors sell just the plug-end connector by itself, so I will order one of those and then hopefully I will be good to go.

Are they stock-type connectors that just screw into the ends of the wires? If so, just snip off 1/4 inch of the wire and screw back on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001 wrote:
OK got the insert installed and the spark plug in- everything seems good, but Cusser I tried to torque it to 25 ft/lbs and it just never wanted to get there, I was afraid keeping trying to tighten it my be threading the insert into the chamber so I left it as is. Seems tight though so I think it will be fine.

The insert I used had a shoulder on them, so couldn't thread in, like this:

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Turn the motor over by hand first to make sure the insert didn't thread into the chamber and hit the piston. Look around the engine compartment for the plug wire end and you might find it, just use a bright flashlight.

It's the metal end of the connector is ruined, looks like it got smashed somehow:

I'll just order another end connector, several vendors sell them.
Good idea to turn the engine by hand first!

Cusser wrote:

The insert I used had a shoulder on them, so couldn't thread in, like this:

The inserts that came with my kit were not pre-shouldered, they had knurled ends on top that after you threaded them into the hole you used the swage tool to hammer the ends to flatten them out and create the shoulder. I did that, but not sure how effective it was and impossible for my short fingers to reach in through the tin opening and feel.

1600 SP engine
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Once the spark plug is removed, you could insert a plastic drinking straw through the open spark plug hole and rotate the engine with a wrench until the piston reaches its low point.

Cusser's method is very simple and foolproof. Another way of doing this which I was shown as a kid was to get some very soapy water and create a bubble over the spark plug opening and then rotate then engine and watch the bubble expand fully. This is the highest point of the piston. Then keep rotating until the bubble gets small again. This will be the lowest point of the piston. Of course you have to make sure the bubble hasn't burst.

Doing this with the engine in the car and with tins in place is of course difficult and therefore Cusser's method is the best, but it provides an alternative if you have the engine out of the car or say on a stand.
Charitha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Guys
I'm doing top end rebuild on my 1600 super bug. heads are out, so best time to repair the stripped spark plug holes.
I have got a set of Empi spark plug inserts. Can someone please tell me what basic tools are needs and what steps to take installing these.
One thing i noticed was that when the insert is screwed on to the plug, end of the insert is not flush with end of the spark plug thread. So the spark plug sits maybe like 1-2mm inside the thread insert. would this cause issues with combustion?

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Clean up the combustion chambers before attempting yo fix the stripped sparkplug threads.
In this pic. It appears to be a crack from the valve seat to the sparkplug hole.
Look at the 2- 2:30 position in the image. It looks like a crack.

Sparkplug hole to valve seat cracks = junk head.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

I used the same type of insert (Link below) on my engine, and did the greased tap technique to "capture" the shavings, I pulled off the head was shocked to see all the shavings. Glad I did so I could clean it out.

I thought the repair worked well, time will tell how long it lasts. Also used high temp rtv on the insert threads per instructions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRF4O?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

For solid threaded inserts, see my update post made today at this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9796819#9796819

However, in your instance the cylinder head is already off, so in your shoes I'd have a VW machine shop repair professionally, even if you need to send the cylinder head away for this. It looks to me as well that you may have a crack near the thread area.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

I would look for new heads, Pic. #4 looks like the valve seat has cracked (Raised piece of seat, valve on left) so rebuilding them will cost as much or more than new heads.
Charitha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Yes i did see the the surface cracks on the two heads when i pulled them out and is actually a concern. This is going to be a standard rebuild with 85.5 pistons and no mods. hoping to use just for bit of weekend cruising. i understand the crack will only get worse overtime..maybe loose some compression. before pulling the engine out, i did a compression test and they ran around around 100psi.
sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but i do appreciate if someone could explain what kind of catastrophic failure can be expected with the cracked heads
also does anyone have any thoughts on the solid insert gap? tnx
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

After you install it with the head off you could grind it flush, but for your stock rebuild I don't think you would notice any difference ground or not, remember the gas vapor is compressed to a small space with the plug in it so it's going to fire the gas vapor.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Blew out #2 spark plug, thread repair Reply with quote

Charitha wrote:
does anyone have any thoughts on the solid insert gap? tnx

Maybe see how a different brand of solid threaded inserts fits on the spark plug. And I've NEVER seen anyone use Champion spark plugs in a VW !!! Do Bosch or NGK do same with the insert?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: