Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake Manifold
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

I hear you on the feature creep. I'm interested in a small turbo system, for a stock engine pushing through a stock carb. Just 6 psi of boost through a small turbo sized for a stock engine that won't be taken over 4500 rpm. In 5 posts the discussion will be a 15 pound system and making "real" power! Even the small system will make more power than any carb swap on a stock engine... I think? Rolling Eyes
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Honestly i could give 2 shits about differing opinions. lol

Thx for the turbo info !!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I hear you on the feature creep. I'm interested in a small turbo system, for a stock engine pushing through a stock carb. Just 6 psi of boost through a small turbo sized for a stock engine that won't be taken over 4500 rpm. In 5 posts the discussion will be a 15 pound system and making "real" power! Even the small system will make more power than any carb swap on a stock engine... I think? Rolling Eyes

Yes. A carb, cam and exhaust change could net you maybe a 10% increase at the top of the rpm scale with probably a loss at the low end. A property sized turbo will get you a 50% or more increase throughout the rpm range with no loss on the bottom end.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Well spill the beans on a descent setup on a all stock motor. Time to teach a old dog new turbo tricks. lmao Mainly what size turbo ect ? What about them AMR 500 super chargers ?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
Well spill the beans on a descent setup on a all stock motor. Time to teach a old dog new turbo tricks. lmao Mainly what size turbo ect ? What about them AMR 500 super chargers ?

This is a simple turbo kit on the cheap. You'd likely need a few more bits to make it work. But it's a starting point, turbo included in the kit.
Open the link with chrome and translate to English,
https://www.spaturbo.com.br/kit-turbo-vw-fusca-car...-turbina/p

IMO, a supercharger? The juice is not worth the squeeze. It takes power to rotate a supercharger.

A turbo is, IMO, free boost. It get's it's spin from exhaust gasses being released from the engine anyway!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
On a single carb manifold I would think one that has excellent thermal conductive aluminum warmed up right under the carb like that Low Profile Manifold would, be best. Not sure what to do to connect it on a single port engine though?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wonder if you were to tap the passage and run oil from the motor through it if it would heat the manifold once the oil came up to temp?

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
popeye613 wrote:

This is a simple turbo kit on the cheap. You'd likely need a few more bits to make it work. But it's a starting point, turbo included in the kit.
Open the link with chrome and translate to English,
https://www.spaturbo.com.br/kit-turbo-vw-fusca-car...-turbina/p

IMO, a supercharger? The juice is not worth the squeeze. It takes power to rotate a supercharger.

A turbo is, IMO, free boost. It get's it's spin from exhaust gasses being released from the engine anyway!

That link seems to be without the turbo but I do believe they supply a kit with it as well.

Superchargers do work but are not as popular these days with both the hobby crowd and the manufacturers of autos. The turbo is really the king these days for it's simplicity.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Danwvw wrote:
On a single carb manifold I would think one that has excellent thermal conductive aluminum warmed up right under the carb like that Low Profile Manifold would, be best. Not sure what to do to connect it on a single port engine though?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wonder if you were to tap the passage and run oil from the motor through it if it would heat the manifold once the oil came up to temp?

eQ

Yes you could but remember it would take ALL of the oil to get enough heat volume, you would max out around 200*F compared to 400+*F and it would take 20 minutes to get that temperature on a cool day when you need it the most. The exhaust is hot in a couple minutes.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

"earthquake" You might be on to something, Probably could replace the need for an external oil cooler in a hot climate!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: