Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super sputters under load
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

1972 Super Beetle, 009 dist with H30/31PICT carb. Has run flawlessly with this combination for almost a decade. A few months ago I was on the way back from getting pizza when it started sputtering whenever I'd take off from a stop. At this point I thought maybe I was running out of gas but not only was it not empty but topping it off changed nothing. I left it alone for a bit and the next time I started it up it seemed to be running fine, but after driving it around just a bit it started sputtering again and got worse the more I drove it.

It's most prominent at the bottom of each gear and especially under load. Sometimes revving it up and letting back out on the clutch will get me through it. Sometimes just easing off the gas will keep it from stuttering depending on the sort of load its under. Hills make it worse but highway speeds are fine. Again, it'll start fine but get worse as I drive it.

In the past few months I've tried replacing various things, some of which it needed anyway:
-new Solex H30/31PICT
-new Bosch coil
-new Bosch condenser, points, rotor and cap

After installing all this and still having issues, I sent it to my local aircooled VW guy and he made several crucial adjustments including properly setting the points, adjusting the timing, fine tuning the carb and tightening the throttle cable, which he initially thought sorted it all out. However, after driving it for a few minutes it goes right back sputtering. His only suggestion at this point was to use some seafoam and see if it clears up.

I have no idea what it could be at this point. After ALL of that, it's still doing the exact same thing. I can't tell if it's a fuel or a spark issue, especially since it seems to be running fine one second and then running horribly the next. Listening to it idle you'd never know there was a problem. Even without being in gear you can still hear the beginnings of a sputtering problem when revving once it appears.

Thoughts?

"Never name your car...too much unhealthy emotional connection coupled with your human dark/light,yin/yang energy affects the mechanical health of the vehicle and causes magnetic convergences like the one you just had.that, or some old f**k backed into your car,its hard to tell..." -johnnypan
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Sounds like fuel starvation. Maybe crud in the tank. Disconnect the fuel line going to the pump to see how much fuel comes out. It should be a fairly steady stream. It could also be the fuel pump.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

"Hills make it worse but highway speeds are fine."

Does it have an original '72 engine?

Did you ever overheat the engine?
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

goober wrote:
"Hills make it worse but highway speeds are fine."

Does it have an original '72 engine?

Did you ever overheat the engine?

Engine was newly built in 2012 and hasnt been overheated

Quote:
Sounds like fuel starvation. Maybe crud in the tank. Disconnect the fuel line going to the pump to see how much fuel comes out. It should be a fairly steady stream. It could also be the fuel pump.

This is sort of the way I was leaning as well. Would it still be able to run down the highway at high rpm if it was starved for fuel?

"Never name your car...too much unhealthy emotional connection coupled with your human dark/light,yin/yang energy affects the mechanical health of the vehicle and causes magnetic convergences like the one you just had.that, or some old f**k backed into your car,its hard to tell..." -johnnypan
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Hydro626 wrote:
Would it still be able to run down the highway at high rpm if it was starved for fuel?

Yes.

Last year my '65 developed the exact same symptoms. I pulled the tank and removed the mesh sock filter and it was almost completely blocked with rust, dirt and crud. I cleaned the tank and replaced the mesh sock and no more hesitation/sputtering problems.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Hydro626 wrote:
Would it still be able to run down the highway at high rpm if it was starved for fuel?

Yes.

Last year my '65 developed the exact same symptoms. I pulled the tank and removed the mesh sock filter and it was almost completely blocked with rust, dirt and crud. I cleaned the tank and replaced the mesh sock and no more hesitation/sputtering problems.

This actually makes sense as I was a little low on gas at the time that it started. Not empty mind you but down to the last few gallons.

I really wish there was an easy way to check this since I have a full tank right now 🙃

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Remove and plug the hose from the tank at the fuel pump and get another piece of hose and put it on the fuel pump and run it into a gas can and take a drive.
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Remove and plug the hose from the tank at the fuel pump and get another piece of hose and put it on the fuel pump and run it into a gas can and take a drive.

I might just do that. When I first got this car running I had it running off a Jerry can in the cargo tray. Time to do it like the good ol days!

virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Is it possible that your heat riser has become clogged over time, and you are no longer heating your manifold sufficiently?
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Is it possible that your heat riser has become clogged over time, and you are no longer heating your manifold sufficiently?

Not likely. Also it's pretty warm where I'm at

virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Hydro626 wrote:
virusdoc wrote:

I’m just north of you, barely, and my clogged heat riser gave me similar problems in the middle of a North Carolina summer. It’s easy enough to test. When it’s sputtering, pull over and touch the manifold just under the carb. If it isn’t uncomfortably warm to the touch, you might need to check it.
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Hydro626 wrote:
virusdoc wrote:

I’m just north of you, barely, and my clogged heat riser gave me similar problems in the middle of a North Carolina summer. It’s easy enough to test. When it’s sputtering, pull over and touch the manifold just under the carb. If it isn’t uncomfortably warm to the touch, you might need to check it.

That's odd. I mean I'll check it out but I was under the impression that the heat riser was just to keep the carb from icing over during winter. Also won't the intake be cool due to evaporative heat exchange? How would said cool air make it run like garbo?

Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Have you ever reached underneath your air compressor and opened the drain valve to get the condensation out? The air rushing out behind the water is Very cold, even icy! This is what is happening in your manifold. Without constant heat the atomised gasoline from your carb will fall out of suspension in the very cold air underneath the central carb and be intermittent in reaching the combustion chambers. Sputtering, and rough running in general is the result.

Many people have lost their lives in airplanes whose carbs and manifolds have "iced-up". This can happen any time of the year.
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Hydro626 wrote:
virusdoc wrote:
Hydro626 wrote:
virusdoc wrote:

That's odd. I mean I'll check it out but I was under the impression that the heat riser was just to keep the carb from icing over during winter. Also won't the intake be cool due to evaporative heat exchange? How would said cool air make it run like garbo?

The heat riser is needed all the time. As the carburetor aerosolizes the fuel, this process is naturally endothermic and cools the aerosol. Just like spraying a can of of anything under pressure cools the can and the material being sprayed. The preheat riser overcomes this natural cooling and heats the aerosol to keep it in a vapor state. Only fuel vapor burns. The liquid, if it condenses in the cool manifold, does not burn.

Anyway, if the right side of the heat riser doesn't burn your skin to the touch within a few minutes of engine start, it is clogged and could be contributing to your issues. The symptom is sputtering and bogging when you give it gas.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Your accelerator pump may need adjustment. Remove air cleaner and (engine off) look down carb and slowly open the throttle, the accelerator pump should start streaming gas as soon as you move the throttle arm, if not adjust the linkage.
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Your accelerator pump may need adjustment. Remove air cleaner and (engine off) look down carb and slowly open the throttle, the accelerator pump should start streaming gas as soon as you move the throttle arm, if not adjust the linkage.

One of the first things I checked when I installed the new carb. Gas comes out as soon as I touch the throttle arm.

Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

UPDATE

Shortly after the last post I went under the car to look around and found the fuel hose coming from the tank to be rotten and coming apart. I took that opportunity to take the tank out and check it while I was replacing that hose. The inside of the tank still looks pretty good but it turns out there's no sock in there, so that's not the issue at all.

I put it all back together and installed a filter under the tank for good measure, even though I'm not sure there was ever a sock in the tank to begin with. After that it ran better but still somewhat poorly. I noticed the oil spots under the car were bigger than normal so I pulled the dipstick and smelled gas in the oil. So I replaced the fuel pump and changed the oil and now it runs a little bit better still but still hesitates sometimes in first.

The only thing I haven't checked at this point is the hard line. I'm thinking what if there's a partial obstruction in there from where the hose in front of it came apart? The filter under the tank seems to be more full on average than the one just before the pump, which is almost always mostly empty with the engine running lately. I might try blowing the hard line out.

As for the heat exchangers, something I never mentioned before is that I have stinger headers, so the factory ones are long gone. I have lengths of copper line wrapped around the headers and shoved into the carb heater tubes instead. This setup has worked for me for over a decade, including in the dead of winter.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Have you been putting a drop of oil every oil change on the felt pad under the rotor? Give the rotor a twist and see if it springs back, you may not be getting your mechanical advance. Remove the hose from before the fuel pump and blow in it, you will be able to tell if the hard line needs cleaning out if it's hard to blow into and you don't need the other fuel filter if you have one under the tank.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

Which type of fuel pump are you using? Have you checked the pressure of the new pump?

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super sputters under load Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Which type of fuel pump are you using? Have you checked the pressure of the new pump?

Conrad

https://www.jbugs.com/product/113127025D.html

I got this guy from jbugs. The one they sell that's specifically meant for my 72 Super, among other things. Haven't had a chance to check the pressure yet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: