Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just can't figure out why?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifty9singlecab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: I just can't figure out why? Reply with quote

I purchased a rail buggy and it has a toggle switch behind the drivers seat that is wired to the alternator. The alternator is also wired to the switch/battery. Why do I have this toggle switch. If on its hot all the time, (lights up) even if the key is off. The previous owner said the guy he got it from stated to leave it on when not in use to keep the battery charged. (I'm not a smart man but that makes zero sense. I can see it being wired to be able to cut it off to kill the alternator while racing or working on it but it's not wired that way. I just can't figure out what it's purpose even is? Thanks for any help.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I just can't figure out why? Reply with quote

Just a theory, but when I was building my buggy, for a while I had a switch on the alternator wire just to make a spark and start it charging since at the time I had no alternator light available and the alternator requires something to draw power to energize the field and start it charging.

This was just for a couple weeks while building the harness until I set it up properly with a light.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: I just can't figure out why? Reply with quote

Strip it and wire it correctly, there's all kinds of schematics here.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: I just can't figure out why? Reply with quote

Basically its a disconnect to keep alternator from initialize and charging....

In a racing situation in theory it releases 2 maybe 3 horsepower to be applied to wheels, but its sort of a joke.... Its been tried and abandon by many...

Best you can do is wire D+ terminal on alternator proper through small lamp and be happy forever...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If buggy/bug/Baja has VW speedometer it may have ALT lamp provision in it but maybe not wired....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
fifty9singlecab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I just can't figure out why? Reply with quote

It's wired just like Dale M's picture except there's another hot wire from the alternator to this toggle switch. I'm gonna remove it completely as I can't see it's purpose at all. Thanks everyone for your help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: