Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
Yes really I haven't. But you seem very familiar with the products so I guess you must use his products so do you have any dyno graphs ?
Obviously someone claiming all round torque on a 312 degree cam is pretty radical and would generate some questions

At this time no personal dyno´s, only ones from a Belgian tuner and Nowak himself.
I have used his cams. They stand out from the crowd by being extremely precise and therefore also pulls well and have very nice lower rpm capabilities. They also have long acc ramps so you do not need any radical spring pressure to control the valve train.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

BIG TORQUE cams Very Happy
w110 vs web 218
fk8 VS k10 discussion with ken tabor (still would love to fully understand that)

w125 is KIND OF one, but put 1.25 rockers on it then maybe it isn't.

Does not have to be a weird lobe shape, I think you can get a similar result just getting the cam in the right spot, but not as optimum.

Lifting the valve rapidly from the seat to .050 helps LOW rpm, idle-2500 maybe, but does nothing one way or another for midrange torque.
Will actually make less midrange if the duration at .020 is too short because then it may not have enough overlap to let the exhaust help it breathe.

many people would like, IF it was possible, would have the valve motion be a square wave.
and they would be surprised to find out it's not so good.
The cam can CONTROL the flow to occur when you want it to happen, by lifting the valve right amount, and putting the "flow window" in the right area.
Maybe the key is the right duration at .200 lift, And passes through .200 lift with the valve moving FAST, (closing the door fast) but how do you do that? well, maybe high lift, but the point of this high lift is not to dwell the valve full open for a long time, the point is that extra lift lets the valve get a "running start" accelerate and decelerate more gently up to a high speed passing through .200 valve lift, so lobe might be kinda pointy...... and the opening and closing ramps at .050 lift need to be gradual to play "catch" with that fast moving valve, so the duration at .020 is long, but the duration at .200 might be realatively short, and with what seems like a high lift.

Notice this is VERY different from what a w110 or w120 looks like.....
These cams are more like HIGH rpm cams IMO
The small valve trend is part of the same thing IMO.
Ports cannot control the timing of flow.
On the exhaust side I am a firm believer in 90% throat and the port at least that big too.
Put a big valve on a small exhaust port is making the flow area more like a square wave which is good right? kinda yes, but heck no. Just less control, no advantage. The flow does what it wants which may not be what you want.
Having a large opening in the middle of the exhaust stroke will LET flow occur in the middle of the stroke, which will extend the RPM capabilities without hurting the LOW rpms.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Its all in the combo as we have said a 1000 times. That said I have never been even close to pull 100 Nm/1000 cc with a W110. With a 218/119 its almost a walk in the park. The straight 218 bleeds a little too much off so it does not pull quite the same torque.
CB 2239. Awesome cam IMHO. Sort of in the middle of the W100 & 110 but pulls about the same power as the W110 if not a tad more, with a little less rpm. In good set ups about 95 nm/1000 cc.
CB 2241. Good cam. About the same as a W110, but with a little better lower rpm characteristics.
FK41. Good cam with a little more upper end. Roughly same powerband as the W110, but more torque.
Web 163 with stock rockers. good cam. With 1,25/1,3 rockers, awesome! (if the heads can support it)
(A customer of mine built a 1914 with hand ported AA500 heads by me w. 40/35 valves, 9,5 CR 44 Chinese IDF´s 32/36 mm grooved venturies, 1½" Sidewinder and a 123 programmable distributor. It is awesome. It pulls 138 hp @ 5500 and 190 Nm torque, rips from just over idle and is still quiet as a stocker at idle. Beautifull engine.

In addition or ammendment to what Modok wrote I will say, that I use split lifts and split duration cams a lot. Reason is that most type 1 heads actually have too efficient exhaust sides compared to the rpm band they are supposed to work in. That may be ok for aiding in cylinder head cooling, but it is definitely not good for power.
I am trying to fix a set of older Denham heads right now which have a 90% I/E ratio, and that is even after I have gone 2 mm up in intake valve size. I cant sink the exhaust valve as there is already too little distance from the seat to the port floor, so I have now deliberately reduced the efficiency of the chamber and will most likely be using 1,4/1,25 rockers to get the I/E ratio I want, which is around 80 in this case.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

I never thought of it before but maybe the ideal lobe shape is different from intake VS exhaust.
I THOUGHT the split cams were just about matching the head flow, but maybe there is MORE to that. 218/119 seems to be such a classic.
Both the 218 and 163 seem to be very popular and both have more of a "torque cam shape"
But is this shape good for the exhaust side?....maybe not.

Maybe quick zero to .050 ramps is GOOD for the exhaust?

if so

The web 110/163 would be kinda backwards!
oh well, I wasn't planning on ordering another one anyway.

I bet you would like a 163/2241 Razz
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

how about a comparison with the web 110 and scat c45, they all have about .390 cam lift
I don't have all the numbers but I have a few
only real difference between the web 110 and c45 is SLIGHTLY more pointy lobes and a little wobble in the ramps on the c45
txoval wrote:
First, this is a great thread and appreciate everyone participating.

Here are the characteristics of my Nowak Billet Cam, JN5 version

..............................................web110.......scatc45
Opening angle at .020": 296........286.......,......284
Opening angle at .050": 258........256..............254
Opening angle at .100": 226........225..............221
Opening angle at .300": 120

so it seems this cam is darn close to these two, just with a more gentle off the seat. Like a web 110 above .050 and like a 163 below .050, and maybe a longer lash ramp is making it look like a lazy cam but, what is the recommended lash setting I wonder? I'm sure it would work with 1.25 rockers too.

I wish I had mapped out every cam I had my hands on, it would solve a lot of mysteries
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

I had a look at the Ken Tabor thread back in 2007 and he was going the right way with the comparison and he was on FI . He tried 3 cams in the same engine and dyno tested them. I can't make out the graphs though
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Web 163:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Modok,

I do run Scat slipper feet 1.25 rockers, .515” at valves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

1.3 rockers Razz , good!
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

(A customer of mine built a 1914 with hand ported AA500 heads by me w. 40/35 valves, 9,5 CR 44 Chinese IDF´s 32/36 mm grooved venturies, 1½" Sidewinder and a 123 programmable distributor. It is awesome. It pulls 138 hp @ 5500 and 190 Nm torque, rips from just over idle and is still quiet as a stocker at idle. Beautifull engine.

Sounds like a high number for a pretty average motor especially if it was tested with belt and a chinese muffler ?

I tested a similar motor 2020cc (76x92) 44 Webers 1 5/8 merged header,2.5 inch cal look muffler,W110 cam , 40x35.5 heads and it was 126hp

Also the 2110 w120 motors bandied around a lot in the UK at 140hp don't even make 120hp only when you strip off the 40idf's, the usual VS exhaust,fit them up with FI and a merged header, tweak the intake lengths and test without belt do they make 140
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:

Sounds like a high number for a pretty average motor especially if it was tested with belt and a chinese muffler ?
No Chinese muffler, but a muffler, and belt, and 6 3/4" pulley yes.

I tested a similar motor 2020cc (76x92) 44 Webers 1 5/8 merged header,2.5 inch cal look muffler,W110 cam , 40x35.5 heads and it was 126hp
Yes, that´s basicly what the W110 will do unless the heads are REALLY good. I bet the peak torque was around 190-195 Nm.

Also the 2110 w120 motors bandied around a lot in the UK at 140hp don't even make 120hp only when you strip off the 40idf's, the usual VS exhaust,fit them up with FI and a merged header, tweak the intake lengths and test without belt do they make 140
I have nothing against especially the later VS mufflers. But at W120 cam duration the glove does´nt fit anymore. The Vs mufflers can work very well overall with cams up to about 240 @ 0,050" from thereon up the primaries are too short. Fuel injection and merge headers helps a good deal, but is not every mans game.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

modok wrote:
BIG TORQUE cams Very Happy
w110 vs web 218
fk8 VS k10 discussion with ken tabor (still would love to fully understand that)

w125 is KIND OF one, but put 1.25 rockers on it then maybe it isn't.

I like the W125. That cam actually does what it is supposed to performance wise. I definitely like the C45 over the W120 if it comes to that. The problem is getting a C45 that is accurate and not all over the place. I built a 2165 from 3 boxes of parts a couple of years back. It became with a W120, GO3 041 heads which got a 42 mm intake due to bad seat overhang, ported, 9,5 CR, 1,25 rockers, 40 mm Alfa Dells with 35 mm venturies and a 42 mm CSP Super comp Evo. Due to the relatively low I/E ratio I was able to make it pull very nice torque, but the hp just would not come. After a full afternoon on the rolls I got to 143 hp and 225 Nm torque, and there was no more.

W110 vs Web218. If you are into low compression etc engines you will get the most out of chosing a W110. If you are ready to bump the compression the 218 pays off
We are straying somewhat from the original question, but here goes.
I will use some old info as I have not used a W110 and had it on the dyno for ages.
1914 CNC roundport´ish heads, 9-1. 40 Alfa Dells, TT 1½" sidewinder w. 2 in line mufflers.

1776 Ported stock valve heads, 9-1, 218/119 cam advanced 2 degrees, Dual 36 Dells w. 30/34 groved venturies, MSD ignition and a standard VS 38 mm muffler with 1½" heaterboxes.

If you swapped the muffler on the 1776 to a decent long tube header it wold pull the same torque, but later in the rpm and gain another 5 hp on top.

1776 buggy engine.
37,5 x 33 heads. 9-1, CB 2239 cam, dual 36 IDF´s w. 28/32 groved venturies, (crappy) Manx header, hence the wobbly power curve. (The engine now has a better exhaust and the afr dip is cut in half. I am also pretty sure it pulls closer to 180 Nm torque now. It feels like its pulling a little harder. Anyway

Again, less duration and at least the same or more power than what would have come with a W110

I am not sure i saw that discussion with Mr. Tabor, so I don´t know what he was saying.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Thanks Alstrup!

Alstrup wrote:
@ Steve. I hope I´m not getting into trouble here, because it is a little controversial. There may be, and probably are variations to the cast P heads, but I have never seen a set of those actually support the claimed cfm numbers. The best of them are about 6 cfm off which means that in a max hp set up they will support about 165-170 hp on a good day. The reason to why the large displacement engines loose power compared to engines in the 2110-2165 cc sizes is exactly the same as we were talking about above. The ports do not have enough reserve volume so the air speed becomes too high too early and there is not enough "behind" so to speak to support the ramming at so relatively low rpm. That´s why we keep seeing 2110´s and 2165 engines pull very nice numbers and great overall torque, because there the heads "fits the glove" very well.
On the other hand. IF they are to be used on a larger displacement engine and you want it to pull numbers relatively equal to a 2165 you can come a long way with a Dremel and a couple of hours and open the intake ports at strategic places. But if you don´t know much about porting I suggest you leave them alone, because you can soon get yourself into trouble. Been there done that.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Getting back to part of the original question, - W110 & 42/37,5 valves.
My colleague reminded me...
Looooong time ago, something like 10-12 years we actually had a 1914 engine on the rolls with a W110 and Tims stage II heads, 44 IDF´s and if our memories serve a CSO Super comp exhaust. Could have been a BAS street sport though. We both agreed on that it pulled 126 hp and 180ish Nm torque. My colleague rememberred it specificly because he thought the engine pulled well in the entire powerband especially taken into consideration that it was a "big valve" smallish engine.
So there is a part answer for that.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

So gist is smaller cam/bigger valve > bigger cam/bigger valves???

Had a convo yesterday w/ good vw folk who suggested....

44IDF + FK-41 + 40 x 35.5 is a waste of valves. 35 x 32 better suited.

If agreeing, how much bigger on cam to make 40 x 35.5 viable?

If disagreeing....why?? (Or some valve size between the aforementioned?)

(I know that's a crude pair of options and I know there's far more to a head than just valve size.....but let's assume moderate porting, cc'ing, 8.5:1 comp)

If displacement matters too....I like 78 x 90.5 but if a consideration in it too please spill opinions.
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

I like CB’s panchito K-10 combos on YouTube Idea
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

good 40x35.5 heads on a 78x90.5 the "natural" torque peak be around 4000rpm
Stock size heads will put the torque peak much lower, probably 3300 rpm?

my OWN idea of an ideal "street" engine is a powerband of 3600-5500 rpm, max torque possible from the displacement.... 1.3 foot pounds per cube hopefully.
But there are many things that can be done, with cams, intakes, to shape the powerband a different way, for different purposes.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
So gist is smaller cam/bigger valve > bigger cam/bigger valves???

No. The gist is that there is no set in stone perfect scenario. Everything is 100% dependent on the application. A road trip bus needs a completely differently designed 78x90.5 than a weekend warrior bug 78x90.5.

Bigger everything is rarely the answer. Correctly sized valves for the upper RPM limit of the intended application, and then a cam that will make power in the intended RPM range. When you get these things correct, the engine will have a nice wide powerband IN THE INTENDED RPM RANGE, and the engine will be a pleasure to drive. Big cam/bigger valves on an engine that will never be rev'ed will be terrible to drive. No low end power.

It all depends on the engine size, and the peak RPM to be used...Figure out those two things, then do the math and work backwards to the correct valve size, and then the correct cam duration to land the power band where you want it...

Brian
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Well the OP proposition was binary and that being the case (and I totally understand the endless variables) I was looking more for "If you had to err one way or the other, which way would you go?"

Although intentions are good at some point you have to decide....(ex: 35 x 32 vs 40 x 35.5 valves when you've decided you have to have cam "x" for either spring limits, duration limit desired, etc. etc.)

I'm thinking smaller cam/bigger valves is probably better money but that's just my opinion.

One thing I notice (as Alstrup has mentioned before) these "new" cams for the 21st century often appear to have less duration than those of yesteryear.

So for example....even though .500+" lift an FK41 rolls as a rather mild 269 duration so does yesteryear's 40 x 35.5 valve sizing not apply????
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Big valves/Hot Cam vs. Smaller valves/Hotter Cam Reply with quote

Its how fast it lifts. Fk cams have fast ramps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: