Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1952
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

thanks bendango. it really is fun.

been working on the wiring. i broke one of the door buttons while forcing a screw but otherwise its been smooth. this is a whole new thing for me. closest ive done is replace some outlets around the house. i have a diagram from my friend mike, and my pops labled the wiring loom. How hard could it be right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i pulled the front bumper down out of the attic and tacked it on the car. got a place to hang my plate!

its all very superficial. im tacking things together and using it as a checklist, storage and viability test. cant make a shopping list till i know whats here.

anyway... heres Smiley looking all...well...smiley:

Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
thanks bendango. it really is fun.

been working on the wiring. i broke one of the door buttons while forcing a screw but otherwise its been smooth. this is a whole new thing for me. closest ive done is replace some outlets around the house. i have a diagram from my friend mike, and my pops labled the wiring loom. How hard could it be right?

i pulled the front bumper down out of the attic and tacked it on the car. got a place to hang my plate!

its all very superficial. im tacking things together and using it as a checklist, storage and viability test. cant make a shopping list till i know whats here.

anyway... heres Smiley looking all...well...smiley:

Excellent progress (and viability plan). Idea Cool Arrow
It's all about keeping motivation pumped (and perspective in mind)...
Sooner than you think you'll be driving it to shows; getting showered in complements and saying to yourself:
"there were tricky tough spots...but in the end; I'm glad I went through with it - and FINITO)! Exclamation Cool
My compliments on progress! Cool
Keep cranking and updates coming.
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

grant - thanks! its a heck of a learning curve. quite multidisciplinary too. its gonna be great.

my friend mike came by the other day. he got to sit in a 52 for the first time and was pretty tickled by the experience. dudes driven them all including rarities like kubelwagens and he has been in vws my whole life. it was pretty cool to give him a vw experience he hadnt had before.

he brought me a present. (he had already given me scans of of the late 52 section). it had been hiding in a pile of stuff that i had given him a while ago. i guess i need to do a better job sorting.

i gave the bumper a little bit of a scrub with some 0000 steel wool. that stuff is magical.

i have a lot of housework to do this week. i doubt ill get a ton done. slow and steady wins the race
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
grant - thanks! its a heck of a learning curve. quite multidisciplinary too. its gonna be great.

my friend mike came by the other day. he got to sit in a 52 for the first time and was pretty tickled by the experience. dudes driven them all including rarities like kubelwagens and he has been in vws my whole life. it was pretty cool to give him a vw experience he hadnt had before.

he brought me a present. (he had already given me scans of of the late 52 section). it had been hiding in a pile of stuff that i had given him a while ago. i guess i need to do a better job sorting.

i gave the bumper a little bit of a scrub with some 0000 steel wool. that stuff is magical.

i have a lot of housework to do this week. i doubt ill get a ton done. slow and steady wins the race

Excellent update - that smile and progress is priceless.
As you put it: "slow and steady wins the race" Exclamation
You're on the right track. Cool
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

started cleaning up the sunroof tracks. i am really pleased with how they are coming out. started with a dull screwdriver and some mineral spirits. paper towels. a wet sanding block fit in the track nicely and really got the gunk out. finished with 0000 steel wool.

i dont know how many times in life i will need to learn that cleaning for just a couple minutes is a game changer.

i took some pictures of the numbers on the gearbox, transmission, splitcase, rear axle, transaxle or whatever we are deciding to call the thingamajig what makes the engine turn the wheels.

a-15542 is nov 52 or is it the a-2101? whats going on with the double date stamp thing? october 52 (9 10 12) and november 62 (12 11 22)? from what i understand i think that this is the correct one for a zwitter. can anyone confirm or deny that assumption? also please help me to understand why. ive read the faq stuff and googled...it hasnt clicked yet. thanks in advance.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

i also found a document from volkswagenwerk from feb 85. says the car (chassis?) was produced nov22 1952. delivered nov25 1952 to VW Distributing Company, NY. no paint color specified. no features listed. original engine number 503 416. if you happen to have my motor im interested in acquiring it.

Great thread and story.

There is an engine finder thread on the split forum. Might be worth posting your engine number there:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597413

Good luck!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

-bally - ill check out that thread. maybe i can find some homes for some of the other cases i have lying around as well.

here is a picture of my dad and i wrenching on the split. it was used as the cover photo for the winter '97 Common Gear. the photo was a bit old at that time as i was a teenager in 97. funny to realize that ive been working on this car my whole life.

ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Since the body is from late '54, the original colour is most likely L227 Strato Silver by looking at the original paint that you've laid bare on the rear fender.
Some examples of this great, blue-ish silver colour; https://www.facebook.com/hayburnermagazine/posts/t...088049333/
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

ddutch - that looks like the right color and i must say that is a great color. thanks!

i like the way the bug looks, so for at least a while its going to keep its current appearance. its got a lot of personality. today i dont think i will ever paint it but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

one thing is for sure. nobody else has a bug like mine.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

got my hands on a physical copy of that common gear. here is the caption for the front page and some other pics of me and my siblings on the back of the same issue.

there is a mention of a 53 standard zwitter. i think that might be the car with the license plate that is sitting next to the vert in the snow picture i posted on the first page of this thread. it seems like my dad owned at least 2 splits and 3 zwitters over the course of the 80s. there are a bunch of photos.

i have the word documents for some of dads date coding articles. is that something that people would find useful? heres a screen shot of some of the topics.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Very, very cool, thanks for sharing. You were essentially born into the hobby, which is quite fortunate! Neat history.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

busstom - thanks! im finding it pretty interesting to rediscover this history too. it had been a while (decades) since dad or any of us were involved in vws.

when we were little we would label and stamp all of the vvwca newsletters ~ once a month. it was a rather large undertaking doing a national bulk mailing as a family of 5. mike usually came too. we had HUGE bags of rubber bands and would have wars shooting them at each other. sometimes the kids even got paid. one of the more memorable was mike paying my brother john to be quiet.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

anybody have any information about the transmission serial numbers i posted a couple weeks ago? can anyone confirm my thinking?

(9) (10) (12) looks to be a date stamp. September 10 1952?
(12) (11) (22) another date stamp? no idea
a-15542 i think is the rear axle number and would be correct for a zwitter
22 a-21.01 part number for that transmission half maybe?
22 a-21.02.1 another part number perhaps? whose to say? definately not me at this time

here are the pics again:

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

9 10 12 = 9th of October 1952 (the first work shift)
12 11 22 = 12th of November 1952 (the second work shift)
A15542 = Late November 1952 stamp (the last in November was A-16312)
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Virtanen - thank you so much

I forgot that it goes d/m/y instead of the month day year format i am used to.

Anybody have any thoughts about the other numbers?
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

22 a-21.01 part number for that transmission half maybe?
22 a-21.02.1 another part number perhaps? whose to say? definately not me at this time

Correct, A.- 21.01 and A.- 21.02.1 are part numbers in old Porsche cast numbering, 21.02.1 is the second version 21.01 is the first version

"22" could be the mold number?
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

cool. thank you again virtanen!

there are some people building bugs and they tend to speak highly of the quality of your parts.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
cool. thank you again virtanen!

there are some people building bugs and they tend to speak highly of the quality of your parts.

Top notch!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

mike wrote up a nice article about my pops for the most recent vintage voice. ill post it on my truck thread too.

i miss you dad
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Lovely words. Steve sounds like a top bloke!

Do sorry that he’s gone but so glad you have all those great memories and people to share them with!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: