Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tail lights "Chevron" style
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesky71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

Hi all.

So I've seen these tail lights that are the same size and shape as the " snow flake" tail lights found on bugs from 56-61. They have a "chevron" style lens. Where and why were these lights produced? Looks like they are Hella but I've never seen these before. Whats the story on these?

can anyone help ? Rolling Eyes
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

Here's a good thread on Chevron style taillights. Forum search is your friend.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360387&highlight=chevron
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jesky71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

Hi, yes i read that thread but they don’t say where the “chevron “ style lenses are from or for what market they were produced for. Are they Euro , from what country , what years etc ?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

Pretty sure that thread said Swedish, 56-61 years.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

I'm prettier sure the article said 1953 Czech market. Wink

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

LOL, from the thread title, I have seen these '40-ish Ford Chevon tail lights on custom Bugs, and thought that's your question!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jesky71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

The thread is unclear. The original person who posted it has a picture of a Swedish tail light but when he ask about the “chevron “ style no one answers it and then they talk about different subjects. It’s unclear what years and what markets these were made from. I’m surprised no one knows ? Anyhow , I am restoring them and putting them on my Black 58. I’ll still wait for a definitive answer on this subject.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

I think the czech info is dubious and needs a citation as wiki say. I would expect them to be rarer than they are if made just for the czech market for one year.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Jesky71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

If that’s the case, then I have a nice set. They are glass and have the “ hella” logo. I did read someone mention they were on a 54-55 bug for chech republic. Still it seems to be a guess, no definite answer.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

Czechoslovakia was under the iron curtain til 1989 and didn’t become two separate countries til 93. I don’t think VW was importing many beetles there.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Jesky71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

There we go. So the question still stands. What year and what market were these tail lights used ??
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

"CH" is Switzerland, not Czechoslovakia. I believe the '56-'61 chevron reflectors were unique to the Swiss market.

Swedish-market reflectors were in the shape of an elongated diamond.

There are multiple threads on these non-standard reflectors, many with bad information, which adds to the confusion. One of these threads had a period photo of a car with Swiss plates and chevron reflectors.
Jesky71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

That sounds good. Idea Is it the correct information? Where is the thread with that period car ? Rolling Eyes
Jesky71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tail lights "Chevron" style Reply with quote

I found this online.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: