Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Just found this thread last week and read it with any spare time I had. Quite the journey. I applaud your tenacity and diligence. Best of luck in the future.

This thread will remain as a great opportunity of learning to many. I did not go the stock route with my '76 Campmobile - wish that 22 year old me could know what I know now.... Thanks for the detail.

Peace!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you for the great job. I have just purchased my first 1975 VW Bus, with a type 4 engine. I am in the process of restoring it.
I do not know what the plug(?) in the picture is for?
Regards
Cid
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Cid wrote:
Hi,
Thank you for the great job. I have just purchased my first 1975 VW Bus, with a type 4 engine. I am in the process of restoring it.
Regards
Cid
[img]

Silver Socket! (For the factory collapsable spare on certain late-model Westfalia campers.)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442790&highlight=silver+socket
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
El_Cid wrote:
Hi,
Regards
Cid
[img]

Silver Socket! (For the factory collapsable spare on certain late-model Westfalia campers.)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442790&highlight=silver+socket

Thank you,
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
El_Cid wrote:
Hi,
Regards
Cid
[img]

Just installed a Silver Socket in my '79 Bus.

Also picked up a USB Charger/Voltmeter for it - works great!

https://ebay.to/2DcZlqn

stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part III Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part III - insulation, reassembly, adjustment, and done!

Bentley's Sin of Omission
Have your attention? I hope so.

I'd now reached the point where the Remote Lock's adjustment procedure could be performed, starting with sticking an appropriate sized tool into a small opening in the Center Lock. Seemed easy enough, according to what I read in the Big Green Book.

Trouble is, the procedure documented there is nothing like what you need to actually do to make this adjustment on a late bay. Although it has a separate late bay section for this, it's not correct for at least 1976 and beyond. As (barely) described, it simply won't work.

Think otherwise? Go ahead, try sticking a small tool in the hole following those instructions. Goes right in the outer hole, but doesn't actually engage anything inside, so what's the point!?! Try it door open, try it closed. How ya doin'? Frustrated yet?

Here's how to actually do it (and how I figured it out):
To remove tension from the Center Lock mechanism, I disengaged the Remote Control Lock adjuster, and the coil spring (never shown or referred to in the Bentley anyway). Now I tried closing the Center Lock's latch to see if that made a difference. It felt different now, like I could actually move the arm enough to make a difference. Still, couldn't actually see or feel anything inside move into position!

It was only once I pulled up on the arm, levering it to compress the rubber stop inside, that the small hole in the lever inside could be moved into position, allowing the alignment tool to engage and hold it there.

Simply - the latch needs to be closed (like when the door is shut) and the arm levered upward fairly hard in order for you to insert an alignment tool into the inside hole. This, or a simpler version of it really needs to be posted somewhere! Here is what it looks like in practice.

In five minutes, the door was adjusted and the coil spring returned to normal operation. Shocked

Brilliant! Thanks for posting about the mysterious hole on the center lock. I must have read the Bentley instructions several times, but couldn't figure out the hole location. It's easy now - latch closed, arm levered upwards and there's the hole.

Now for the adjustment part - is it as simple as undoing the locknut, then tightening/loosening the cable adjusting nut? At the moment I need to lower the outside handle almost through 90° to open the door. Bentley states at least 40mm, but no more than 50mm. I have a ways to go to get back to 50mm.

Love this thread - so much great info and attention to detail.
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

We gonna provide a westylouge kit for this beautiful build! The hardware looks exactly the same !!!!

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

What kit are you referring to? I had a look and couldn’t see anything specific to Bays..
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

I think he is referring to making a hinge set available for Late Bays so that you can sit up in the rear bed section and stare out the back of the Bus through the rear hatch.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

What a brilliant & inspiring thread, wonderful reference source too.

Thank you 😊
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I think he is referring to making a hinge set available for Late Bays so that you can sit up in the rear bed section and stare out the back of the Bus through the rear hatch.

Yes. I emailed syncrogreg about this the other day, and because my bus is a storage shed for my fiancee's stuff at the moment I sent him a link to a pic that had been posted in this thread of the latch to compare.

So I think we're going to try out a set and I will report back if it works on a Bay!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Filip_VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
On to the front seats.

Oh yeah, that missing driver side seatbelt latch cover - replaced. It makes it much easier to find the release without looking.

Hey, we have just bought about the same bus as yours. It's a 1976 with more work on the outside! The latch cover of the driver side seatbelt is also missing. Where did you find a new one? (We are not situated in the VS.)
WarryBhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filip_VW wrote:
eche_bus wrote:
On to the front seats.

Oh yeah, that missing driver side seatbelt latch cover - replaced. It makes it much easier to find the release without looking.

Hey, we have just bought about the same bus as yours. It's a 1976 with more work on the outside! The latch cover of the driver side seatbelt is also missing. Where did you find a new one? (We are not situated in the VS.)

Are you talking about this?
https://bus-ok.nl/T2-T3-scharnierkapje-rechts-874-792-251881478-01C
poleksiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
The End of the Road

This was a damn hard decision to make.
Thank you, Samba Community.
Jon E. - aka 'eche_bus'
P.S. 'eche' is my wife's initials

As a New member of the VW and Westy world, I first would like to thank you for sharing all of your work with such a great quality presentation and explanation.

As a new owner of a 77 Berlin model, I feel more confident of going through repairs with the help of your posts. I can't even imagine how hard it might be to sell a so beautiful camper, and after so much work.

You, sir, have all my respect and admiration.
JPSummers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
To all:

Reading your outpouring of support, encouragement, and appreciation has been a emotional experience. Just ... wow ... thank you so much! Knowing I'd made such a positive difference by sharing this restoration work with you means a great deal, and takes quite a bit of the sting out of having to part with this bus.

I do encourage everyone reading this to continue to try to improve the quality of your VW restorations any way you can. Your continued enjoyment critically depends on the availability of parts, and demanding quality and striving to "do it once, do it right" is the only way that can improve.

Bye for now, but hope to "see you around"! Very Happy

You've been a Great Help in restoring ours. Cherry Bomb's far from done but she's coming along. Your insight and sharing information on the Electrical Control Panel was very needed and extremely appreciated. I got the screen set so if others want their done, I can assist. It's not 100% Accurate, it's not 100% perfect but it's a damned sight better than the faded, chipped, burned condition it was in before. Godspeed, Best Wishes and may the journey be interesting.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

JPSummers wrote:
eche_bus wrote:
To all:

Reading your outpouring of support, encouragement, and appreciation has been a emotional experience. Just ... wow ... thank you so much! Knowing I'd made such a positive difference by sharing this restoration work with you means a great deal, and takes quite a bit of the sting out of having to part with this bus.

I do encourage everyone reading this to continue to try to improve the quality of your VW restorations any way you can. Your continued enjoyment critically depends on the availability of parts, and demanding quality and striving to "do it once, do it right" is the only way that can improve.

Bye for now, but hope to "see you around"! Very Happy

You've been a Great Help in restoring ours. Cherry Bomb's far from done but she's coming along. Your insight and sharing information on the Electrical Control Panel was very needed and extremely appreciated. I got the screen set so if others want their done, I can assist. It's not 100% Accurate, it's not 100% perfect but it's a damned sight better than the faded, chipped, burned condition it was in before. Godspeed, Best Wishes and may the journey be interesting.

JP, that looks great! When you say you “got the screen set” what do you mean? Did you make a screen to print these like a screen for tshirts? Mine is a mess as well and I would love $$ to have it redone. Is it a big decal that goes on or would I send my panel to you. Be ready for an onslaught of requests for this nifty repair. Jay

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Absolutely would like to have mine redone also...
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Just following up on this, been quite a long while.....
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Just following up on this, been quite a long while.....

same here. i got no response either

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

eche_bus has tapped out of the scene. He restored an absolutely amazing example of a bus, sold it and hasn't looked back AFAIK.

Or we talking about JPSummers offer to help? Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 37

Jump to: