Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring instructions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Anyone have good instructions for installing a wire harness in a 72 beetle?

Problem is I have two harness kits but don’t know who made them and since they came free with other parts there was no instructions included.

I have been looking and some have said instructions from some are better than others, so I would guess the best would be simpler instructions with more pictures and breakdowns so I can start to try and figure it out.

Any help is appreciated
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Don't need instructions, follow the wiring diagram found in the technical section here or found in the Bentley manual.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

If you have run a Beetle wiring harness before and are just worried about the specific circuits in your model year... just download the wiring diagram for your year from the Technical section of this site; have it blown up and laminated so you can mount it to your shop wall. If you can follow the diagram you will be fine.
Some folks find the '72-older wiring diagrams easier to follow than the '73-later ones. Since your Beetle is a '72 you are good. But from my pov, the '73-later wiring diagrams are better for troubleshooting. They actually show you how the switches work. The '72 earlier diagrams only show you how to connect the wires to the numbered terminals. For example, they don't show you that the '72 headlight switch has two completely separate circuits running thru the switch. On the '73-later diagram you can see that the red (30) wire to the headlight switch powers the parking lights while the black/yellow (X) wire powers the headlights.

If you have never installed a Beetle wiring harness, I would suggest you buy the Bug Me Video Vol9 which covers Wiring Harness install. There are many tips and tricks details that are not in any other guide I have seen.
You might also consider Vol10 which covers Electrical Troubleshooting. No harness goes in and works 100% the 1st time.

You don't have to buy the video. You can rent it or sometimes you can borrow it from your local city Library. But for this video, you want to watch it at least twice all the way thru and it really helps when you are in the middle of the install to jump to the section you are working on.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

He may be asking more about the logistics:
- over the roof or along the rocker?
- start feeding from the frunk, the B-pillar, or the engine bay?
- to lube or not lube?

A couple of questions for the poster:
- do you know if either or both harnesses are correct for your year?
- is the original wiring in place (and thus can be used to pull the new wires through tough spots)?
- do you have any plans for accessory gauges later?
- generator or alternator on engine?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Re the wiring diagram, I took a file down to my local printing place and got them to print an A0 size laminated colour print. It's the best money I have ever spent.

The size of an A0 print is about 33" x 47" (841mm x 1188mm). No need to squint.

Stick it up on the wall or ceiling somewhere and you have the best reference to rewire your car that you ever have had.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Re the wiring diagram, I took a file down to my local printing place and got them to print an A0 size laminated colour print. It's the best money I have ever spent.

The size of an A0 print is about 33" x 47" (841mm x 1188mm). No need to squint.

Stick it up on the wall or ceiling somewhere and you have the best reference to rewire your car that you ever have had.

And with it laminated, you can use a dry erase marker or grease pencil to mark each wire and connector as you check it, and erase it all later.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
He may be asking more about the logistics:
- over the roof or along the rocker?
- start feeding from the frunk, the B-pillar, or the engine bay?
- to lube or not lube?

A couple of questions for the poster:
- do you know if either or both harnesses are correct for your year?
- is the original wiring in place (and thus can be used to pull the new wires through tough spots)?
- do you have any plans for accessory gauges later?
- generator or alternator on engine?

From what I have investigated so far I think one is an aftermarket kit the pics I see online with a different fuse type has me thinking it might be a rebel wire kit.
The other harness seems to use all factory wire colors, I was told when it was put in the pile of parts that it was good for a 72 to 74 Beetle. The pics online that have any resemblance to it are picks of wire works harness.

The wires in the car are a butchered mess, some seem old but others don’t seem to be as old as the car and from some pics and video not everything is where it should be or run how it should be.

It currently has a generator and I am not planning on installing any gauges or accessories at this time but let’s face it that will most likely change once it’s running.
I found the diagrams in the sticky section just after posting here and will try to find a way to print them out in a useable size as suggested.
What I got the impression from reading other posts about wire harness was some come with some sort of guide printed and some even stated they liked one instruction over the other. So I thought if I had an installation guide along with the diagrams from the Bentley manual I would stand a better chance of sorting it out and getting it right. This is the first time I will be doing anything like this so it’s a complete learning curve.

Thanks for the help so far.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

So while you re pulling wires, pull three more along with the harness to use with future gauges or accessories (like a backup camera, etc).

Also, keep your old harness. The wires themselves are typically not the problem as it ages, so having correct, color-coded wire pieces handy when you make repairs or additions will be easy.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

You might call WolfsburgWest, tell them you have what you believe is a WireWorks harness that caem with the car. See if they would sell you one of there installation manuals. Although they currently make their own, Wireworks used to. If they can't help, call Wireworks, their manual isn't as good [in black and white] but it's better than nothing.

Sense you currently have a harness installed [regardless on how bad it is], start unpluging it, take pictures and mark all the connectors. Then start replacing the harness. You might start with some of the easier, small sub-harnesses first. It'll help give you more confidence when you get to the bigger ones. Also, when you are stringing the harness through body parts, attach a fish line so you can attach it to the new harness and pull it through the same way.

As previously mentioned, in the main harness that goes front to back, it wont hurt to attach a few extra lines for future use. Better to have them there and not use them. Consider picking up two or three spools of wire in different colors to help keep them seperate.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I will be on a you tube diet of how to wire installation till my bug me video comes in. We just tried to call and order it but had to leave a message for them to call back.

Might try for an installation manual as suggested also.
Does anyone know of a better one for me to look for.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
Does anyone know of a better one for me to look for.

Wolfsburg West has the best. It's full color.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Well my Dad just called Wolfsburg west and they don’t want to sell us an installation manual unless we buy a harness. I can understand but he even offered to buy other parts that I will need also. Kind of makes me wonder if They would treat me right if I had issues with something I did buy?

Wait for the bug me video and print out the diagram and hope for the best is my plan, that way I won’t be avoiding other vendors also. Figure if they can’t find it good to go a tad beyond and earn a customers respect and buisness I will stick with the companies that have.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

If you have the time... lay out your harness along the driver's side of the car. The main harness runs along the left heater channel. Using the wiring diagram as a reference, ID the different collections of wires based on the colors in the smaller harnesses. The main runs between the dash and the rear seat with another collection of wires that continue on to the engine compartment. At the front you will find a left and right front light harness as well as a bunch of smaller loose wires that interconnect things behind the dash. Focus on the wires inside the harnesses and match the wire colors. If you find a wire that seems out of place, post a pic. Often, the wire colors get slightly augmented. Grey/black wires may be replaced with white/black; black/red wires may be replaced with red/black wires. Black/green wires often get replaced with green/black wires. Be a little flexible and you should be able to confirm if there are any significant color differences. For example, from sometime after '73 VW replaced many solid black wire runs with solid green wires. This would indicate the harness was for an newer model year. Also look at the harness between the generator and the VR under the rear seat. In '74 VW switched to an alternator with external regulator. This required an extra red wire between the alternator and the VR under the rear seat. When VW switched to an internally regulated alternator they removed the three small gauge wires replacing it with just a single solid blue wire. These wire colors may hint at the model year the harness was designed for.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

After doing some searching in boxes I found some instructions for one wire kit. It is a Rebel wire kit with the extra fuses and wires for some extras. Also found a post on here with some good information on installing this kit. So I am going to use the Rebel kit and start this project next weekend.
Manurata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Hello guys, I also need help with my wiring. First, I am sorry if I am not posting in the right section. So, this is the problem: I bought a bug, in the papers its writing 1963 year of fabrication, but all the interior fittings and everything I bought and fit was from 1971 up. I have the electrical wiring that was on the car, previous owner cut it. I can not find a proper diagram so I can rebuild it. I will attach also some pictures with actual wiring, or what is left from it. it has a 12 fuses box, and all over it is written mexico, on the body parts, engine, everywhere. I just can`t find an electric diagram with matches my wiring colours. If anyone could help on this, I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

It sounds like you have the deluxe version of the rebel harness, I just installed it into my daughters 74 super, and it went pretty well, if I had any issues the customer service was great Jeremy was fantastic and answered any of my questions. It did take me while to map every thing out cause the wire colours in the wiring diagram in the Bentley books do not match the rebel wire colours, but if to take your time I think the wires are labelled as to what they go too. Just remember that most of your components need a ground wire so buy some brown wire of various gauges. I think the tricky part I had was wiring the 4way switch with the turn signal switch and the turn signal relay. but if you have any questions just ask here or call Jeremy at Rebel. One suggestion I would make is to add the Hard start relay so it can put less amperage through the ignition switch.
Manurata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

jetmech wrote:
It sounds like you have the deluxe version of the rebel harness, I just installed it into my daughters 74 super, and it went pretty well, if I had any issues the customer service was great Jeremy was fantastic and answered any of my questions. It did take me while to map every thing out cause the wire colours in the wiring diagram in the Bentley books do not match the rebel wire colours, but if to take your time I think the wires are labelled as to what they go too. Just remember that most of your components need a ground wire so buy some brown wire of various gauges. I think the tricky part I had was wiring the 4way switch with the turn signal switch and the turn signal relay. but if you have any questions just ask here or call Jeremy at Rebel. One suggestion I would make is to add the Hard start relay so it can put less amperage through the ignition switch.

Thanks, do you somehow have a wiring diagram that I could follow? Tia
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Can't help with the Rebel Wiring diagram but you really should start your own thread. Asking your own question on someone elses' thread is bad form. No worries though, start a new thread now asking for a Rebel Wiring diagram. You'll have a better chance of someone answering your question.
troubledmind76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Manurata and Paul jr

rebel wiring doesn't really have a wiring diagram. mine went in very easy, all the wires are labeled every 6 in or so. look up rebel wire harness in this forum and read through. they are setup to lay them out however you want or need but Jeremy is awesome with any questions or problems along the way.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring instructions? Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
After doing some searching in boxes I found some instructions for one wire kit. It is a Rebel wire kit with the extra fuses and wires for some extras. Also found a post on here with some good information on installing this kit. So I am going to use the Rebel kit and start this project next weekend.

I'm guessing you found this thread?
Rebel Wire Questions and Pictures

@Manurata, you really should start a new thread. The comment about the Rebel wiring harness was not meant for you. Your fuse box is from a '73-later Beetle. You can tell because the '71 model year was the first year for a 12-fuse fuse box. It had fuses 7~9 bridged together and fuses 10~12 bridged together. In '72 fuse 10 was separated and made stand alone while fuses 7~9 remained a trio of fuses bridged together. In '73 VW broke fuse 7 into a second stand alone fuse along with fuse 10. This is how your fuse box is arranged.

Unfortunately, some find the '73-later fuse boxes hard to read. You can substitute the '72 wiring diagram but realize fuse #7 is a spare and not powered. Otherwise the '72 wiring diagram is 90% the same as the '73.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: