Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I did change the bearing and I’m wondering if that’s the issue. It looked like the old one which I have since thrown away. 😩
Does the plastic sleeve slide down through the bearing when correct because this one doesn’t ?
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

This is the one I got.
It is the 62

I guess I thought since I had a later steering wheel the shaft was probably a later shaft but maybe not ?

I’m not sure how to proceed now. I wish I had just left the old bearing in there although it sounded rough.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

The spring in the Wolfsburg West screen shot you show should be around the plastic sleeve on the steering shaft. You show the metal spring seat at the bottom of the plastic insulating sleeve as expected. The spring goes around the plastic sleeve. Then there should be a contact ring, then a plastic insulation washer, then the circlip in the groove between the sleeve and the spines. This allows the horn button pins in the '60-'61 steering wheel to contact the contact ring when the horn button is pushed.

I have this hunch that because of this awkward insulation system on the early shaft the correct steering column bearing had a larger inside diameter. It was the 1980's when I modified the system to work like the later system to use a Grant steering wheel. The bearing wasn't nearly so old and I didn't touch it. I just ditched the "Plastic washer," the jumper wire between two rag joint bolts, and ran a new wire down the hollow steering shaft and connected it to a steering side rag joint bolt.

I believe the easiest plan going forward would be to source a '62-'67 steering shaft and just convert the whole system to the later type bearing and horn. Your existing column with its new bearing should be fine. Your turn signal switch will be fine (getting a '60-'61 turn signal switch used to be a common part of switching later Bugs to "snowflake" taillights.) I know of no source for the '60-'61 upper steering column bearing and it seems to be a different part than the later one. I know it is different than the early one.

You also already have a later type steering wheel. The ratty old steering wheel you have is a '60 steering wheel. I see the plastic insulation on the bottom and a busted horn ring where the half ring goes through notches in the steering wheel spokes. The new steering wheel has a later type half ring horn button. I can tell because the steering wheel does not have the notches for the half ring to pass through and because I see the extra terminal on the horn ring that is for the ground wire that then goes down the column to the rag joint.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank You for your reply.
This forum is great !
I’m now on the hunt for a 62-67 steering shaft.
Life is an adventure 😀
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

62-67 steering shaft
I just found one 😀
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Excellent and useful details, EVfun!
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Finally got the new steering wheel assembly mounted .
Now I need to wire everything up.
I was looking for wiring instructions to wire later turn signal assembly up to 60 but it seems like the later assemblies have 3 wires . Mine has 6.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I need to upgrade my wiper assembly from 6 to 12 volt. I know which one came out of the car so I know it’s 6 volt ( although there is nothing saying that on assembly )
. The question —- How can I tell if the other is 12 volt or six ? There is no writing on it either except for the symbol on top.
Ultimately, will it work or is it just a later version of the 6 volt ?

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

The wiper motor may have a 6V or 12V stamped into the base near the output shaft as shown below. If no such marking exists, they'll typically have their part number stamped or printed on the side of the base which you can then use to identify it positively. Just looking at the picture, I'd say most likely your Bosch wiper is a 6V unit (113 955 111 H or P).

Concerning your 3 wire turn signal switch in a '60 quandary, if you don't mind deviating from completely stock you can install a small relay box set up as shown below. This will allow you to use your 3 wire switch and have full functionality of your snowflakes instead of tracking down a good 6 wire switch.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

This chart makes no sense to me.
My original switch has six wires and the new switch has six wire of different colors and this chart was written by a left brained engineer. 🙄

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

If my logic jibes with whomever came up with those directions, the wires will be as follows:
Yellow -- connect to flasher output
White/Red -- connect to left rear brake/turn
Yellow/Red -- connect to right rear brake/turn
White/Green -- connect to right front turn signal
Black -- connect to left front turn signal
Red -- connect to brake light switch output
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank You
Looking at it was giving me a headache ! 😀
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Thank You
Looking at it was giving me a headache ! 😀

If the color combo suggested by Mukluk doesn't work you can do a test. In each of the 3 switch positions there should be 3 wires connected together. There will often also be another 2 wires connected -- ignore those for now.

If you can tell us what 3 wires are connected in off, in left, and in right I can figure out what each terminal is pretty easy.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Ok
I’m finally getting back to my bug after a long period of burnout.
The reluctance to move forward started when I put the body back on the chassis and the engine wouldn’t start. It started fine without going through the wiring harness and main switch. I thought it was the starter so I’m on my third . The original harness had a melted mire but after testing all parties involved it wasn’t grounding out on the other wires. ( I don’t think )
The question : if I replace the wiring harness should I just get one for a later bug ( 70 or so ) since it now has a 1600 engine with regulator mounted on generator and 12 volts are to be used ?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

You should generally use a wiring harness for the year of your Bug. The wiring was routed differently on different years, some along the floor, some back on the left side in the roof, some on the right side on the roof. The fuse boxes where in different places in different years and even the number of fuses changed a few times.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I just ordered a new wiring harness.
A friend is doing the body work on the shell and hopefully will paint that this week .
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Returning from friend who did the body work and paint. Lots of little dents !
Headliner is next. I got a TMI vinyl one and I’m not really looking forward to doing it but there is no one close brave enough . Arghhh. It doesn’t seem like that big a deal but more will be revealed.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Had lots of little dents.
No dents now 🙄😀
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Why would my gear shift lever keep popping out of the socket ? I have the plate oriented like this photo I found.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Why would my gear shift lever keep popping out of the socket ? I have the plate oriented like this photo I found.

Remove the reverse lockout plate.
Look inside the tunnel and see if the bushing carrier is intact. Or badly worn and needing replacement.

The lockout plate should affect the shift lever popping out of the socket.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: