Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

Hi,

Can any of you with upgraded T4 motors share a bit of your subjective/personal experience about your hot rodded configuration, the characteristics of how your bus drives after the modifications and your location?

I'm curious if anyone is running something like a big stroker with nickies or something wild, and how that compares to a more mild hi-perf build... and, most particularly, what your bus is like going up really extreme hill climbs - specifically, the ones where you see the big riggers falling way back, putting on their hazard lights, etc... the kind of stuff you see out west in the US.

Any dyno HP/TQ numbers? Will she pull 80 up said big-rig-punishing hills?

What does it really take to push a bus 80 up a huge hill? 100HP? 120 150 180?
While going being able to accelerate "faster" is always nice, I think that's the magic bit of information I wonder about most.

I wish I had the formulae and specs on-hand to easily perform that calculation from a physics/engineering perspective. I assume one could speculate simply based on frontal area, drag coefficient, GVWR, torque range vs gearing, grade %, etc.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:

While going being able to accelerate "faster" is always nice, I think that's the magic bit of information I wonder about most.

If you want that kind of HP you might consider a turbo and if you are looking at running a heavily laden van up an 8% grade at 70mph you might need to be making transmission mods as well.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

yeah, a turbo would be ideal due to the load sensitive nature Smile

that said, i think having just a bit more than 60- something HP in a micro RV would be sufficient Smile just how much , however, is not clear ..

i don't believe EJ22 Subaru guys who went to all that trouble for a "measly" naturally aspirated 130HP are unhappy .. but can't say i've heard a ton of first hand specifics ..
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

Maybe we might reconsider this. Asking a VW bus to act like a modern SUV is like trying to train a donkey to be a quarter horse. Each has its own purpose. VW detuned the bus engines to keep them from melting. You can just retune it to make max power and deal with the cooling problems. Be aware that the 4th gear area of the transmissions have some plastic parts that already melt with the heat from 2L buses as they are. So it isn't just the engine that you will have cooling issues with.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

sgkent i love you but you always post this curmudgeon stuff every time i try to have any discussion about anything other than a stock bus - next you will tell me to buy an acura suv. i get it. i bought my wife an audi q7 with ~350 hp...and before that she had a q5 tdi with almost 450lbft of torque .. guess what car we take our family in 90% of the time? the bus.

people are doing this stuff every day with vanagons with basically the same transmissions and much heavier vehicles. they just dont have the forums dominated with negative nancy hater stuff, they have people trying to move forward with innovative solutions and advance the state of the art beyond everyone doing the exact same thing like robots.

you are clearly a very intelligent guy - try to have more of an open mind. the bay window bus community could benefit from it.

the problems you will jump to point out are solvable --
proper tuning exists, proper AFR and timing alone solves 99% of cooling problems people have with buses, and magical things like nikasil cylinder/piston sets and ceramic coatings completely redefine the whole landscape for vintage air cooled engine building. many higher output engines simply running proper tuning (as advanced and applied by our commonplace use of wideband sensors in aftermarket tuning in recent times) will easily run much cooler than even a stock motor that would normally be running it's "proper" 14.x:1 AFR (which just makes it run much hotter than it needs to in lieu of max power or max economy).

there is no need for every thread of thinking out of the box to turn into a need to petition you for permission to make a bus perform better than a 60HP joke. you're a smart guy - you understand how to put together a stock bus very well - but please, with all do respect, get over yourself.

there is so much more to state of the art engine building and engine management beyond what's in your archived tomes of VW service manuals that can be applied to vintage volkswagen engines.

do i have your permission to conduct this discussion without this thread simply being sabotaged with naysaying?

a community cannot thrive and grow with a closed-minded protectionist attitude, clinging only to what has existed in the past, it can only achieve long term attrition.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

I keep having this recurring dream of a turbo or supercharger on my T4 and a different ring and pinion in my trans.

I have no idea how I would keep it cool but I'm really intrigued by this!

Shocked
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

if you want HP, I would seriously consider a Subie swap. In the end it will probably cost you less mod'ing a type 4. It cost me about $5k to rebuild a bone stock engine with quality parts (I did splurge on Len's heads).

YMMV
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

here's a thing for the OP, they can't put a Subaru engine in a 75+ bay in California.

and that one thing to note that while going up Mtns is that you lose HP with the gain in elevation..
the internet says
Quote:
Generally speaking, an engine loses three percent of its rated power for every 1,000 feet of altitude gained. This means you could lose as much as 20% of your vehicle's horsepower if you drive it from sea level to Big Bear Lake (with its 6,750 elevation).

so that's where turbos come into play

as for more horsepower, then you need to cool it more. so you'll need to keep the fan rpms up with your increase in speed vs load
load is your gearing(trans&tires) vs weight vs incline, as any one of these increases the load/work required increases. and more work/load makes more heat..

sure you can build a hot road sea level machine.. only take it out on sundays and sputter about with an occasional high burst on ramp merge.. could last ya 10 years like this
or
you can take it out to the Mtns every weekend, fully laden with kids, bikes gear and beer.. could last ya 10 months like this..

fwiw and this is heresy around these parts..
but you can put a complete vanagon 2.1 engine into the back of a bay with a belly radiator and as long as you retain the complete Injection and exhaust system.. should pass a CA referee inspection..
though I hear those are getting more difficult to make and more stringent..
though that only nets you 95hp.. and I don't recall the torque but it will push a bay much more easily than the T-IV (67hp) a net gain of 28hp and 33% which would still have a couple more ponies at Big Bear than a Stock T-IV at sea level.

Edit: Ohh I did forget there are some European 112hp 2.1WBX arrangements.
may be able to copy that design. that's another ~17% bump

Last edited by danfromsyr on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

You get tough but true love here in the Samba. But, when no one shares the magic unicorn tears that turn a type Iv case into a 100 HP motor that lasts, you will learn that.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

for you to accomplish what you want you'll need to move out of California. that's the real answer

Jake Raby wouldn't even bother to sell to CA because of what it took to get a T4 to make the numbers you're asking about...it would never pass emissions

so you're pretty much stuck running a stock bus out there if it falls into the category of being smog compliant.

but to answer your question you need about 200 h/p and proper gearing to make it happen

just watch the first 30-40 seconds of this shitty vid i made. i'm shifting into 4th at 80. real 80, not vw 80...as in the speedo was recalibrated and within 1 mph of a GPS

Link

as i recall, the P in MPH on the speedo is about 120. shit gets real in a bus at 120.

bottom line is you're stuck with what you have out there. the only mod you may get away with is a solid lifter cam that will ditch the hydraulic lifters.

the only way you may pull this off out there is if governor Adolf lets you swap a Tesla driveline in. no way are you going to get the performance you seek any other way

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You get tough but true love here in the Samba. But, when no one shares the magic unicorn tears that turn a type Iv case into a 100 HP motor that lasts, you will learn that.

I built my Camper Special in 2006 and have about 50,000miles on it. About 95hp and 130 lbs of torque pushes it along just fine all day long and 65-70 mph. That is the max rpm of the cooling fan so going faster just slowly exceeds the fans cooling ability (about 4200rpms). Mine cruises at 350-375F and can hit 400F CHT's on a long steep hill/pass. Yeah I slow down a bit but not like in my stock Syncro that dies on a hill to 45 mph.
I have always thought it possible to have a Camper Special with a cat setup to pass Calif rules by careful tuning. Then rip off the stock cat setup and reinstall a decent muffler setup.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

The first part of CA emis in sions is having stock or approved parts.

Putting stuff on to “ pass emissions “ then putting non compliant stuff will cost you a lot of cash
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

IMO it's not economical to try and get performance figures like that out of a Type4 engine.

Go Subaru, 2.0 VW, or other water cooled 4 cylinder at that point.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
Hi,

Can any of you with upgraded T4 motors share a bit of your subjective/personal experience about your hot rodded configuration, the characteristics of how your bus drives after the modifications and your location?

I'm curious if anyone is running something like a big stroker with nickies or something wild, and how that compares to a more mild hi-perf build... and, most particularly, what your bus is like going up really extreme hill climbs - specifically, the ones where you see the big riggers falling way back, putting on their hazard lights, etc... the kind of stuff you see out west in the US.

Any dyno HP/TQ numbers? Will she pull 80 up said big-rig-punishing hills?

I wish I had the formulae and specs on-hand to easily perform that calculation from a physics/engineering perspective. I assume one could speculate simply based on frontal area, drag coefficient, GVWR, torque range vs gearing, grade %, etc.

Ok Comrad. Ill let you drive my 77 Westy when I get home. Im currently in Louisiana do some clean up from Ida.

Camper special heads, cam and bumped out to 2.3 liter. I went as big as I could without cutting the case. All on stok FI. Scoots just fine. Goes up hills in 4th. Look at my thread below in my sig line.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
sgkent i love you but you always post this curmudgeon stuff every time i try to have any discussion about anything other than a stock bus - next you will tell me to buy an acura suv. i get it. i bought my wife an audi q7 with ~350 hp...and before that she had a q5 tdi with almost 450lbft of torque .. guess what car we take our family in 90% of the time? the bus.

people are doing this stuff every day with vanagons with basically the same transmissions and much heavier vehicles. they just dont have the forums dominated with negative nancy hater stuff, they have people trying to move forward with innovative solutions and advance the state of the art beyond everyone doing the exact same thing like robots.

you are clearly a very intelligent guy - try to have more of an open mind. the bay window bus community could benefit from it.

the problems you will jump to point out are solvable --
proper tuning exists, proper AFR and timing alone solves 99% of cooling problems people have with buses, and magical things like nikasil cylinder/piston sets and ceramic coatings completely redefine the whole landscape for vintage air cooled engine building. many higher output engines simply running proper tuning (as advanced and applied by our commonplace use of wideband sensors in aftermarket tuning in recent times) will easily run much cooler than even a stock motor that would normally be running it's "proper" 14.x:1 AFR (which just makes it run much hotter than it needs to in lieu of max power or max economy).

there is no need for every thread of thinking out of the box to turn into a need to petition you for permission to make a bus perform better than a 60HP joke. you're a smart guy - you understand how to put together a stock bus very well - but please, with all do respect, get over yourself.

there is so much more to state of the art engine building and engine management beyond what's in your archived tomes of VW service manuals that can be applied to vintage volkswagen engines.

do i have your permission to conduct this discussion without this thread simply being sabotaged with naysaying?

a community cannot thrive and grow with a closed-minded protectionist attitude, clinging only to what has existed in the past, it can only achieve long term attrition.

Metahacker - I grasp that you aren't aware of the 4th gear overheating issue. I already knew that you hate people who aren't in your political camp, and who don't stroke your feathers, hence your uncontrolled rant. 4th gear overheats on 091 and 094 transmissions even with the stock 70 hp engine. It melts the bearing cages and that damages the mainshaft and 4th gear. Adding more HP and torque only makes it worse. I thought you knew that but I guess not.

This is an image of 4th gear. The lines on the race are where the needles ate into it because the needle bearing melted from the heat generated by a 70 HP T IV engine. You can't find a NOS mainshaft for a 091 because this has been such a frequent occurrence. Add more power and this issue only gets worse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the replacements that Weddle sells - note they are steel caged because the factory nylon caged ones melt. When they do they capture the needles and that is what causes the needles to dig into the mainshaft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a thread you might find interesting. It is adding an oiler to the 4th gear on an 094 transmission to stop that issue. The guys who add bigger engines to synchros do that. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ight=oiler

Here is a thread on a 094 Synchro rebuild Paul did to solve the issue on his high power rig. The 091 and 094 4th gear overheating issue is the same.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

Use cageless hand-packed needle bearings and all is fine there. Real off-road racers have been doing it with 091s for decades. Next problem.

Consider solving the Type 4-specific issues the Porsche way instead of the American Muscle way: build a high compression short stroke/large bore engine designed to spin 6,000 RPM all day and gear it correctly.

Speed just costs money; how fast do you want to go? And how much BS can you put up with at low RPMs?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Use cageless hand-packed needle bearings and all is fine there. Real off-road racers have been doing it with 091s for decades. Next problem.

Consider solving the Type 4-specific issues the Porsche way instead of the American Muscle way: build a high compression short stroke/large bore engine designed to spin 6,000 RPM all day and gear it correctly.

Speed just costs money; how fast do you want to go? And how much BS can you put up with at low RPMs?
Robbie

absolutely Robbie - any issue can be overcome with money. Thru selective breeding, $$$ and time, I am sure that a donkey can run as fast as a quarter horse. However the point you made is THE POINT - Speed costs money, and anyone who wants to go fast in a bus will have to put some serious money into their bus, it isn't a bolt on arrangement. And, someone with that capability isn't here asking the question about personal experiences, they are asking how much did you invest to do that. We did the same thing racing. You make one part to solve a problem then you break something else. While working in the racing shop I had a very nice T1 engine. It was smooth and made lots of power. In fact it could run 6000 RPM all day. Bill was the guy who built the Tyoe 4 SuperVee motors for the N. American VW team. I had a master to teach me all the tricks. He was a super guy, with as much knowledge on engines as one can ever find. We had Indy Cosworth engines coming thru the shop on their way to Indy. Bill built and maintained racing vehicles for Al Unser Jr. In fact the last time i saw Bill was at one of the races with the Unsers. He was crewing one of those 60' long double car carriers with living quarters, a shop and storage for the racing cars. But no matter how well the stock VW engine was improved, there was a limit to the money I could spend and eventually I got tired of replacing things that wore out, like cases from the stresses, valve guides from the excessive RPM, cracked heads from the heat etc.. Buses are asked to haul a lot of weight while pushing a lot of air. Later buses were asked to include a lot of changes to make less smog as well, and that is still enforced in many states.

You personally have a fairly stock bus and it runs really well. You make a great bus owner because you accept its limitations. But someone who needs to go fast and have their feathers stroked needs deep pockets to make that happen. I can only think of a couple people here who made that happen.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

Quote:
proper tuning exists, proper AFR and timing alone solves 99% of cooling problems people have with buses,

While there is some truth to this, your number is false. Smile

There's some basic physics involved here that you'll have to understand..

Yes, it is possible to build efficiency into the combustion process to make more power for less heat,
It's only going to be a few percentage points, if that.

That said, making power makes heat.
You burn the fuel, you make the heat.
Duh, right? Rolling Eyes
Well, the fan and fins are only going to carry away a certain amount of heat at X RPM.
You have a certain surface area of cooling fin in the aluminum head,
And some more with nickies, which helps, but otherwise you have finned iron cylinders.
And that's just that.
That much surface area can only dump so much heat.

Oil coolers don't really shed heat very well.
Oil doesn't transfer heat to air through a core like water does.
If it did, you would have oil in the radiator of your car.
Also, oil coolers don't cool heads, and that's what fails first.
Even before the plastic 4th gear roller cage.. Razz

Simple fact of life is that you only have so much cooling capacity with a bus.
Unless you go water cooled or something..

If you lay on the throttle uphill in 4th loaded the temps will climb.
That's just the fact.
Yes, you can build the motor to pull 4th up some pretty serious hills,
But it will just melt.

I have been personally chasing this dream of beating nature/physics for many years.
Yes, you can build efficiency at higher RPMs,
Get the heat flowing down and out the pipe some more.
Use the fuel to keep it cooler (running rich).

But you'll get a few points lower heat per unit power tops.
BTDT.

Sure,
I can pull bigass hills without gearing down,
But only until it gets way too hot and starts to get sick from the heat..

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Quote:
proper tuning exists, proper AFR and timing alone solves 99% of cooling problems people have with buses,

While there is some truth to this, your number is false. Smile

There's some basic physics involved here that you'll have to understand..

Yes, it is possible to build efficiency into the combustion process to make more power for less heat,
It's only going to be a few percentage points, if that.

That said, making power makes heat.
You burn the fuel, you make the heat.
Duh, right? Rolling Eyes
Well, the fan and fins are only going to carry away a certain amount of heat at X RPM.
You have a certain surface area of cooling fin in the aluminum head,
And some more with nickies, which helps, but otherwise you have finned iron cylinders.
And that's just that.
That much surface area can only dump so much heat.

Oil coolers don't really shed heat very well.
Oil doesn't transfer heat to air through a core like water does.
If it did, you would have oil in the radiator of your car.
Also, oil coolers don't cool heads, and that's what fails first.
Even before the plastic 4th gear roller cage.. Razz

Simple fact of life is that you only have so much cooling capacity with a bus.
Unless you go water cooled or something..

If you lay on the throttle uphill in 4th loaded the temps will climb.
That's just the fact.
Yes, you can build the motor to pull 4th up some pretty serious hills,
But it will just melt.

I have been personally chasing this dream of beating nature/physics for many years.
Yes, you can build efficiency at higher RPMs,
Get the heat flowing down and out the pipe some more.
Use the fuel to keep it cooler (running rich).

But you'll get a few points lower heat per unit power tops.
BTDT.

Sure,
I can pull bigass hills without gearing down,
But only until it gets way too hot and starts to get sick from the heat..

perfectly said Stave, but you already knew that. Smile. That has been my experience. I personally had to adapt my driving habits. FWIW Bill told me that the only thing he ever found that lowered the overheating issues was ceramic coatings on the pistons, heads and exhaust ports. It only lasts so long but it does allow more power with less heat transfer to the engine. In my life, like yours, it was easier to just adapt my driving style than chase a dream that kept moving away as fast as I could improve things. But today people drive differently, and they are less relaxed. We adapted to that by buying a powerful SUV with all the features for daily driving, and use the bus for pleasure trips when we have all the time in the world.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Campers with Upgraded Type IV engines - Personal experiences Reply with quote

As for cost/dollars, Jake's Camper Special sold at LN is a really good way to make the most power for your bucks.

Well-engineered combination gives a bit bigger valves to match a better-flowing exhaust,
Plus more cam duration on the exhaust lobe to help move heat.
The CR is then upped to compensate for the duration and even more for some efficiency.

Downsides include the cost (obviously) the chance you might not pass smog (if you have to) and,
Like Robbie said,
A bit less drivability.
My bus with a similar setup doesn't like to be lugged in traffic when loaded.
Sitting in holiday weekend stop-and-go sure does suck-and-blow.
Cammed buses are a PITA in traffic.
A bus with a stock cam ad valves will drive like an electric sewing machine by comparison.

While i like to be able to attack hills at high speed and pull it,
It comes with costs.
Especially when the CHT marches over to the right and starts wanting to let those expensive HAM valve seats loose! Shocked

You could leave your foot in it pulling that big hill even longer if you pop for some Nickies.
But you'll also cry bigger tears when you melt them.

Did you just win the lottery or get an inheritance or something? Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: