Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone heard from vwracerdave?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I too burn wood up to 30 face cords a season,,, we are so lucky to have good 'Hard wood' here,,,I prefer Maple & Ironwood (Hop hornbeam) three or four sticks last all night Wink

Here it Birch for our hard wood but alot of spruce the beetle kill here is real bad.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

Vwracerdave is still posting on Facebook.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:

Who is he on there?

Comes to something when people rather post on FB than a good forum Sad
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
stealth67vw wrote:

Who is he on there?

That's the thing, right?

Used to be the STF was the best but it's obviously fading fast.
Germanlook.net, and cal-look.no are now declining quickly.
Then there's cal-look.com, Jake's forum and others that are gone.

There's going to be change - especially with things Internet.
Think Friendster then MySpace then FaceBook then Instagram and then...

Hopefully we have Ev supporting and all of us here still in the hobby and still on the forum ongoing.
The whole "me" format of social media isn't really that social after all.
You're unlikely to get the eyes of a large number of smart people like you are here.
Input from experts tends to get taken for granted in the age of Google i guess.

BITD, you had to actively seek out learning from experts.
Calling on the phone, writing letters, etc.
We used to spend our Saturdays going to shops to try and pick an old man's brain.

Guess that as that tradition fades into history it's electronic analogue will follow suit.
At least it will be here on the WayBack machine for posterity (if anyone cares).

Like Kevin said, it's about the people and how the hobby brought us together.
All of my best friends i met here or are here.

Love you guys, man.. *sniff*..

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:
stealth67vw wrote:

Who is he on there?

That's the thing, right?

Used to be the STF was the best but it's obviously fading fast.
Germanlook.net, and cal-look.no are now declining quickly.
Then there's cal-look.com, Jake's forum and others that are gone.

There's going to be change - especially with things Internet.
Think Friendster then MySpace then FaceBook then Instagram and then...

Hopefully we have Ev supporting and all of us here still in the hobby and still on the forum ongoing.
The whole "me" format of social media isn't really that social after all.
You're unlikely to get the eyes of a large number of smart people like you are here.
Input from experts tends to get taken for granted in the age of Google i guess.

BITD, you had to actively seek out learning from experts.
Calling on the phone, writing letters, etc.
We used to spend our Saturdays going to shops to try and pick an old man's brain.

Guess that as that tradition fades into history it's electronic analogue will follow suit.
At least it will be here on the WayBack machine for posterity (if anyone cares).

Like Kevin said, it's about the people and how the hobby brought us together.
All of my best friends i met here or are here.

Love you guys, man.. *sniff*..

Reminder to self. I need to start posting something worthwhile to the 411 and 412 forum on the STF...once a week. I started out on STF. Different group.

I kind of migrated to this site for a while for several reasons and then it got to be excessive time to jump back and forth between to sites.

I think STF is better in certain ways....more restrained thoughtful atmosphere. A lot more experimentation. I would hate to see it go away all together. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:

Awesome!!! Knew something would surface in this age of electronic social sharing!

Thanks!

Clatter - I can not help but think back to a TV commercial. Not even sure what the products was. But, ......” Love you too, man!” Don't go getting all gooey on here!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

I suspect that I am part of the reason Vwracerdave is taking a break. He thinks I hate him and all drag racers. We clash often here as I am of the opinion that not all of us operate 1/4 mile at a time so our needs differ from his. Even though his experiance is truly valid for his hobby it is not always best for those of us that drive our cars on the road for a hobby.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I suspect that I am part of the reason Vwracerdave is taking a break. He thinks I hate him and all drag racers. We clash often here as I am of the opinion that not all of us operate 1/4 mile at a time so our needs differ from his. Even though his experiance is truly valid for his hobby it is not always best for those of us that drive our cars on the road for a hobby.

Thick skin is what is required on here! Mine has definitely become thicker!

You are not the reason. We all have that point where you need to go collect your thoughts. Or that time in a journey when you realign and move into another direction. We all share a similar interest and that is what this site is all about. Be open.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
how did you know that?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

helping my son-in-law with a few 90 foot trees.

Shall we just call it intuition?

I live in the frozen north too although not as far north as you. I have just dedicated a good chunk of my fall to the same exercise. I brought back 8,200 pounds of fire wood from BC last week. All we have here is poplar and willow so I take what I can get including the corral fence boards my neighbor just discarded for new ones
There is about 12,000 pounds in this pile.

This is left over from last year and corral fence boards.

Behind the splitter is a wood shed 3/4 full of dry split wood.

I have enough now for 2 years. I burn poplar, pine, soft maple, hemlock, spruce, willow, jack pine and black spruce. Basically anything I can get my hands on. I will be trying out larch for the first time.

Last edited by oprn on Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
oprn wrote:

Thick skin is what is required on here! Mine has definitely become thicker!

You are not the reason. We all have that point where you need to go collect your thoughts. Or that time in a journey when you realign and move into another direction. We all share a similar interest and that is what this site is all about. Be open.

Well I for one have learned a lot here. The air cooled VW engines of today are not the same engines I worked with and drove in the 60's to the late 70's. Today's air cooled engines are mostly made in China and the USA and are completely different animals.

I did not know that 4 years ago when I picked up the hobby again. So much has changed.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

ya my kids (and now grand-kids) just moved up here from Texas so getting them a stash built up I barrowed a log splitter (first time using one) my daughter loves that thing she split a real pile with it.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Like oldDKP, desert busman, Karl and many more.

Desertbusman? He was logged in in June. It's been a few years since I talked to him. I'll give him a call.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

I should call DB myself he has been off here too like me???
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
stealth67vw wrote:

Who is he on there?

David Westenberger
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

I'm still alive.

I want to be real honest. This CIVID shit has caused a change in my personality, and I don't even have it. All the lockdowns, restrictions, mask BS, and vaccine mandates has caused us all a lot of stress. The last year I have noticed a change in my personality. We as a country are in trouble, and I'm very concerned about our freedoms and liberties as a Nation. The protest, riots, and looting in the name of justice along with the political corruption effecting our country has all contributed to my bad attitude. I'm retired and shaking my head if my SSI, Retirement, and 401(k) are gonna be stolen to give to the poor and lazy that never worked for anything. Now we have these school board situations about CRT and gender identity. Then there is the climate change hoax. EV is not the answer to that scam. Just like some of you here I have a broke VW and the parts I need are sitting somewhere on a ship off the coast of Calif.

I made a few smartassed and rude comments on a few of the FB VW Group pages that I deeply regret. To anybody I offended I appolagise. I am taking a break from posting on all Internet platforms.

Everything will be fine. Looking forward to getting everything back in order and racing next season.

David
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I'm still alive.

I want to be real honest...

That's a real, honest assessment and I completely identify with what you're describing.. my personality has changed too, and not for the better. I don't like it. I have had to disengage from news and social media due to the constant bombardment from X, Y and Z. I hope your post doesn't get removed for violating site rules - I think people here deserve to know, if you're willing to tell.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

I have never been one much to follow the news at home but I always had the radio on in the work truck going from job to job. Since I retired I don't have that constant barrage of BS and my attitude in general has mellowed. My stress level is WAY down too. Heartburn is almost a thing of the past... loving it! Very Happy

My older sister tells me I am foolish to not be keeping up with all the scandals and crap, I tell her it's been happening for years before I was born without me and will continue after I die. Doesn't need my help!

The fact remains that you cannot believe anything you hear and very little of what you read. Just let it go I say! If it's nice outside - go enjoy it, if it's not, build a nice fire in the wood stove and put a cup - a - your favorite on the boil and some nice music. Call your kids and grandkids for a wee chat, tell them you love them.

I have waited for retirement and a chance to relax far too long to waste it on foolish BS!
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
I'm still alive.

I want to be real honest...

That's a real, honest assessment and I completely identify with what you're describing.. my personality has changed too, and not for the better. I don't like it. I have had to disengage from news and social media due to the constant bombardment from X, Y and Z. I hope your post doesn't get removed for violating site rules - I think people here deserve to know, if you're willing to tell.

X 2 from Australia .
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

We quit watching the fake news back in March,,we tuned our TV completely off in June, Shocked ,
as for the wood ,, Ash ,Maple, Oak ,, we call Poplar "Gopher" wood ,, toss in a piece ,,, go for another Laughing I try not to burn oak,to much creosote Rolling Eyes we have 5 wood stoves,, 2 cookstoves (one in the summer kitchen) wood furness in the basement that I installed copper coil w/pump circulating hot water under the floors ,,and a garage stove,,I fill the half basement and stack about 10 cord behind the house,that is were we harvest it too, lucky to have a few trees Laughing we burn around 25-30 face cords a year.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard from vwracerdave? Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, Dave. I've always appreciated your perspective, even when I didn't necessarily agree.

That used to be the way adults interacted.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: