Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange round outriggers - what is that
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanstories
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

Hi,

I purchased a german 65 Splitty which went to Italy after fabrication.
Now it‘s back in Germany and when I it came to my garage I wondered about the two rear outriggers.

They seem original and not replaced. The are rounded in a way that is too clean for a damage. It‘s on both sides and only the rear outriggers have that shape.

Do you know something about it?

I saw it once or twice here in the forum, but found no further information.

Thank you,

Tom

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1979 Westfalia Helsinki Baywindow as daily camper

vanstories.com - daily adventures and photo candy with our old rusty baywindow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

My first thought was for a propane tank or other fuel cell but what a bad place to stick something like that. Hope you find the answer.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanstories
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,

yes that was one of my first thoughts, too. But there are better places Smile
An it‘s on both sides.

The bus was deligered to a private person but later in on, I think it ran as an italian truck for company. Inhave no clear evidence, but there is a red painted line on the front and on the rear hatch that is typical for trucks in Italy in the 1970s/80s.

Tom

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards they were modded for a tank of some sort
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

Pontoons to turn it into a Bus Schwimmwagen?
Wink
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

i used to have my propane tank under there, just for my truma heater. In Italy they did drive on propane, so that could also be.

found this pic online

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
vanstories
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

Thanks to all repliers!

It‘s very interesting, it really seems to be original especially for export models to Italy. Is there any evidence that the trucks drove on propane instead on fuel?

Tom

FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

Look up "autogas". It was a mixture of propane and butane used to power vehicles in several European countries. I think it was used primarily in delivery vehicles and taxis. I heard about it from a Ford salesman when we were looking at a natural gas powered truck for the farm many years ago.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

Makes sense. VW ran engines on propane in the factory before they were installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanstories
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange round outriggers - what is that Reply with quote

Thank you all! Yes meanwhile I talked to an italian guy who confirmed that the round outriggers where used to store the LPG tanks. LPG was very popular in the 60s/70s in Italy.

Tom 👍🏽

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: