Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Channel Rust, any Body experts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

I'm tackling my leaking window. I knew I was going to find holes and some cancer. I'm actually quite happy that it's less than I thought.

1) the dimpling granite like texture, should I take the time to build this up with weld or use a filler product?

2) would a product like monstaliner make sense for this area?

I will be cutting out the bad and replacing it with donor metal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

I saw a video where a guy put fiberglass body filler product where the smaller pinholes were.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

Yeah I'd be tempted to fill that up with Dynaglass instead of cut-and-weld. Far quicker and easier. That stuff is like concrete, sand it down to get close once it's set and then just use filler over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

I've yet to see and epoxy/plastic repair placed upon rusty metal stand for the long term test of time.

From what I've seen and done......... the rust returns.

If you have the ability and time to weld in a proper repair, that is the only proper way to fix this kind of missing metal rot.

That being said, I have several spots on my 90 that I will be doing a fast dirty plastic repair on before Winter falls upon me.
Just temporary, just to delay the decay until I have the time (hopefully) to mae a proper weld in repair.
These spots are easy to access though, such as perforated footwells.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

Probe the pinholes with an ice pick. It it goes through, you must replace it. Not an especially difficult repair.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

Some of the vendors carry replacement sheet metal for the front window. I've been fixing rusty areas on my van and spot welding in new panels is straight forward. If you just have a small area you can also just cut that area out of the larger piece, saves time vs shaping the metal to fit.

Van Cafe
https://www.vancafe.com/9557260-p/9557260.htm
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

do it right

cut and weld. any poop you put in there will be back to haunt you x10

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

passenger side rear window had an obvious hole. i'm trying to do as little paintwork to the van as possible but this is just unavoidable

window out

old rust out

new panel welded in

didn't bother to do a full play by play... my work here doesn't seem to amuse the vanagon crowd as it does the bay forum so i'm just chipping away as i have time

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Window Channel Rust, any Body experts? Reply with quote

rust bullet treatment, tigerhair, quality auto paint, will give you some time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: