Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast86gn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

I looked at several threads about this topic, all seamed like 10 years old. Maybe someone has a new part/ idea I cant find. On SoCal site it shows a German master with an available top mount reservoir. It links to the top mount tank and shows its for a 1967 bus. Will this combo work for me? I really would like the reservoir to be mounted on top of the M/C. I also want a good quality M/C. I am looking for advice before ordering. Also a good place to get the German wheel cylinders. I also seen a match at aircooled.net but they have a message about some items are out of stock and such, so I am hesitant to order.
I am really trying to stay away from using a cheap m/c.
I do see the remote mounted reservoirs but I would rather have it on the top, less places for leaks. Thanks Again, Tom
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

he only problem with the reservoir on top is that it is difficult to see (AFAIK) the level of fluid in them.

You are right, the less componentry and hoses, the less there is to leak.

I purchased a German made ATE master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Like it was originally from the factory. Much more expensive than anything else but it fitted perfectly and was easy to set up and bleed.

As i'm in Australia and being RHD I purchased from Heritage VW in the UK, but I assume you can get ATE in the US if you search for it.

However here is a link to get an idea of what is made available.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/catalogsearch/result/?q=master%20cylinder&model_model=Bug

I'm sure others will chime in with alternatives and Chinese ones with life-time warranties etc but for me use the OEM manufacturer.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

I've been happy with the German made wheel cylinders by Ate available from Wolfsburg West. So it may be a safe bet that their master cylinder will also be good. More info is in this recent thread regarding wheel cylinders:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9711713&highlight=#9711713
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fast86gn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info, both of you. I plan to buy components at WW. My main issue is the top mount reservoir fitment. The empi replacement for the rabbit one looks to be correct for the German made m/c. I may have to make a phone call tomorrow when places open up. All the information is dated prior to the Empi available reservoir, looks same as the rabbit I believe. Maybe someone will comment. Thank you both
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

I did a search of SoCal's site and found this MC mounted reservoir:
https://socalautoparts.com/product/brake-fluid-res...top-mount/

It lists all the MCs that are compatible, the description specifically says it will not fit their GERMAN made MC. But one of the compatible MCs is a TRW/Varga unit:
https://socalautoparts.com/product/master-cylinder-dual-circuit/
This would appear to be the best option that is quoted as fitting the reservoir. Though it is around 4x as expensive as the other units. I have used TRW and Varga brake parts in the past and had no issues.

Whatever you decide, post your results. I too am considering a MC mounted reservoir.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
fast86gn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

I ordered the trw unit with listed reservoir.
Thanks all
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

A suggestion, which I used for a particularly convoluted front brake line, is to bend TWO coat hangers into the identical correct shape, then straighten ONE of them out to measure the correct line length, accounting for the fitting depth. Then bend your new line to match the OTHER coat hanger, and it will then fit like a glove!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
A suggestion, which I used for a particularly convoluted front brake line, is to bend TWO coat hangers into the identical correct shape, then straighten ONE of them out to measure the correct line length, accounting for the fitting depth. Then bend your new line to match the OTHER coat hanger, and it will then fit like a glove!

Ha !!! Is it easy to find wire coat hangers these days ????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Ha !!! Is it easy to find wire coat hangers these days ????

My local cleaner still uses them for my Aloha shirts.
fast86gn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

M/C and reservoir on fit perfectly,
Thanks to all
Blindpig11299
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

Fast, i just purchased this same set up, how does it attach? How does the resevoir attach to the m/c? Tried to PM you but as I am a new member I was not allowed.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

Blindpig11299 wrote:
Fast, i just purchased this same set up, how does it attach? How does the resevoir attach to the m/c?

I would imagine the two outlets of the plastic reservoir would snap into the two grommets in the top of the MC where the plastic hose barbs would normally fit. It is important the spacing is correct.
It helps to use some brake fluid as a lube when inserting the part into the grommet. There is something like a brake cylinder assembly lube/grease which is (I think?) brake fluid in a gel form, or compatible w/ brake fluid so as not to contaminate things.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Blindpig11299
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

Thanks Ashman! Yes, the resevoir does directly plug into the top of the M/C. It fits tight and the lube idea worked well. Thanks again.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dual master cylinder conversion help. Any new info/parts Reply with quote

this is what I did on my 59 pan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ordered a brake line kit that had all of the lines pre-made to the correct length (i did have to shape and bend them though)
I can look it up in my receipts and find out exactly what I bought if you need me to.

I also drilled another hole in the top of the reservoir and installed a grommet and the original line from the underhood small reservoir so you can easily check and fill the fluid.

I don't have a good picture handy, but if you look at this one you can kind of see it in the corner of this pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: