Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'65 Bug Sunroof Problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALWAYS1961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: '65 Bug Sunroof Problem Reply with quote

When I bought my '65 Bug, it was missing the metal cable guide tubes.
I finally located some and have installed everything but when I tried to install the center plastic over the cables and gear it doesn't want to lay flat even when trying to screw it down.

Also, I bought the screw package for the plastic covers from WW but not sure which screws go where.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Bug Sunroof Problem Reply with quote

Post some pictures of your parts.

See this below. It may help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1298970.jpg

FWIW,

I found the steel guides i have are arced or side specific. Mine are OG. Check that out

Do your cables lay flat in the tracks? What is binding? They should lay in there nice and you should not have to force the top covers. Also make sure the top slides nicely.

All of the wood screw type screws are for your covers and rails.
The fine thread ones are for the center lower part.

this web site may help you out.

https://1967beetle.com/sunroof-rebuild/

Post some images

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALWAYS1961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Bug Sunroof Problem Reply with quote

I do have the guide tubes on the correct sides and the cables seem to be laying flat and the metal center hold down fits perfectly.

It's just the center plastic that I'm having the problem with.

When I tried to screw it down I could see that it wasn't fitting down flush.

Also, with the center plastic screwed down it won't let me crank the cables.

I can crank them with out the cover on.

I have checked out those links before. A lot...

I'll double check everything tomorrow to make sure the cables are laying flat.

I do appreciate your help.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Bug Sunroof Problem Reply with quote

Post some pictures.

If the system is binding when you put the center top cap on and the roof works otherwise then i would look at the ramps molded into both top and bottom plastic cover.

Are you sure your cables dive up/down properly as they cross left to right? They do not stay level. One goes high to low and the other low to high.

Another thought is i know when i tried the steel tubes (my 64 has the early plastic guides) that the cable was very hard to get through initially. When you say to works without the cover are you able to fully open and close the panel or are you just saying you can move the cables a little but none when the top cap is installed?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALWAYS1961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Bug Sunroof Problem Reply with quote

I haven't attached the roof panel. I tried to use the crank and it will move the cables all the way back and forth without the plastic center cover on.

I think what you said about the molded in ramps on the top cover might be what the problem is.

It seems like they stick to far down on top of the cables.

I haven't had the opportunity to work on it yet. I will to check everything out tomorrow...

I'm pretty sure I have the cables in the proper positions.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I will let you know what I find out.
ALWAYS1961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Bug Sunroof Problem Reply with quote

All is well after a little adjusting...

Sunroof works perfect.

Thanks for all the input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: