Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen Owners Manual
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was reading through the VW owners manual on the samba and wasn't happy with the user interface and how it wasn't really possible to quickly navigate to pages. I created a site this morning that allows you to quickly navigate to a specific page in the owners manual.

Link to site: https://vw-info.vercel.app/

How to use:
- If you just want to go to the previous or next page, there are buttons at the bottom of the page "PREVIOUS PAGE" and "NEXT PAGE".
- If you want to navigate to a specific page, select the "Quick Links" button towards the bottom of the screen. A menu should open that allows you to select a specific page you want to navigate to. The naming convention is based off the main headers of the pages throughout the manual.

I created this for my own use, but I figured I should share it here in case anyone else has a use for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

I usually download the zip or PDF file from the link at the bottom and use that.

TheSamba may have rights to the manual collection. For example - if my company has a list of say VW bus owners that my company has collected, and someone takes that list to market to them without my permission, that is usually considered industrial espionage/theft. If that person wants to build their own list from primary data, DMV records etc., they can, but they can't use my list to shortcut the process without my permission. We used to see that in the mortgage industry all the time, and every time the person who took the list lost in court and had to pay lost revenue plus punitive damages. TheSamba makes revenue on advertising, and any duplication of their data that takes people away would be damaging to them. I don't know how they might feel about that. You might be able to borrow a manual or two for your own use but to market it to the public might be an infringement of the member agreement.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

While doing this, I noticed a typo on the "Let us explain the warranty" page.

"Wheel alignment and wheel balancing. The frequency of these services depends on driving conditions such as rapid starts and stops, tire skidding, hitting pot holes and crubs, etc."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

Slick. Maybe delete the previous owners information.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Hey all,

I was reading through the VW owners manual on the samba and wasn't happy with the user interface and how it wasn't really possible to quickly navigate to pages.

Agreed, it always bugged me how you couldn't scroll the manual unless you downloaded it.

I took a look at your version. Looks good but when I view the pages they are cropped top and bottom. Am I overlooking a setting or something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
theguyryry wrote:
Hey all,

I was reading through the VW owners manual on the samba and wasn't happy with the user interface and how it wasn't really possible to quickly navigate to pages.

Agreed, it always bugged me how you couldn't scroll the manual unless you downloaded it.

I took a look at your version. Looks good but when I view the pages they are cropped top and bottom. Am I overlooking a setting or something?

Nice pointing that out. Robbie mentioned something about it as well. I just took a look and pushed up some changes that I think fixed it. Let me know if you're still having issues!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

Ryan,
Thanks for helping
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

The pages are badly distorted (stretched) if your browser viewport/window is greater than something
like 1000 pix.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
The pages are badly distorted (stretched) if your browser viewport/window is greater than something
like 1000 pix.

Could you post a screenshot? They look find on my end. Screenshot was taken at 1940x1300.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Could you post a screenshot?

The pages scale fine until the window width gets to be about 1000 pix. Then it just starts stretching horizontally.

theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
theguyryry wrote:
Could you post a screenshot?

The pages scale fine until the window width gets to be about 1000 pix. Then it just starts stretching horizontally.

Ahhh. Firefox renders CSS (styling) differently. I was developing it on chrome. I just pushed an update to fix that issue. Thank you for testing it for me! Haha.

I also just added the 1971 owners manual as well.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

Doesn't appear to have fixed it...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Doesn't appear to have fixed it...

Hmm... What internet browser are you using? This screenshot is at 2560x1440

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

Zoom features all working for me now, Chrome on MacOS. Razz

If you feel like doing one more, I would pick a '78 manual, as they have info on hydraulic lifters, later gear ratios/speeds, and a more modern stance on oil selection.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

I agree being able to page back and forth is nice.
I use the PDFs when I want to do this in most cases.

Someone asked me if your web site and you grabbing the images was a problem.

I looked at your web site earlier today and I only saw the 1973 Bus Owner's Manual. This is ok as you are doing a 1-off.

If you are going to grab every owner's manual off the site then this would be an issue for me and possibly for one or more people who submitted it to this site and didn't give you permission to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I agree being able to page back and forth is nice.
I use the PDFs when I want to do this in most cases.

Someone asked me if your web site and you grabbing the images was a problem.

I looked at your web site earlier today and I only saw the 1973 Bus Owner's Manual. This is ok as you are doing a 1-off.

If you are going to grab every owner's manual off the site then this would be an issue for me and possibly for one or more people who submitted it to this site and didn't give you permission to use it.

The PDF's are great, and all the info on the samba is amazing. Here's what I was trying to solve for myself:
1. Using the images, you have to click each page individually, and use the browser to navigate back.
2. You can use the PDF version, but it doesn't have any way to quickly view "Tires and Tools", "How to change a spark plug", etc. I wanted a way to quickly navigate to a specific chapter (quick links).

I'm definitely not planning on grabbing all the owners manuals on the site. Like I said earlier, this was just a personal project for me, and hopefully other people can enjoy it as well. A couple people said it would be nice to do other years, and so I was thinking of doing a couple years of bay windows. The code is all open source, here's a link to the repo: https://github.com/ryangrunest/vw-info.

In a perfect world, it would be integrated into the samba somehow. I'd be more than happy to help. It would be awesome to have a mobile friendly way to view technical info off the samba. This is coming from someone who's been stranded on the side of the road with their bus, trying to find an article I remember reading at some point, but can't remember when or where exactly I found it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

the books were printed in the 1970's on printing presses, and not made in a word processor program. The pages online are photos of the pages in the manuals. If you want to be able to search them like an Acrobat assembled page, or a Word page etc., you need to run the pages thru a OCR program, and then correct the OCR errors.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
While doing this, I noticed a typo on the "Let us explain the warranty" page.

"Wheel alignment and wheel balancing. The frequency of these services depends on driving conditions such as rapid starts and stops, tire skidding, hitting pot holes and crubs, etc."

Hopefully you don't hit any fentzs or brucks after you hit the crub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

IANAL but I doubt anyone submitting content to the Samba has ownership of the rights, and thus cant object to their use by others.

Of course, whatever agreement EB has with them should be honoured, but thats not a copyright issue.

Assuming VW has properly registered the copyright for the material, they would still hold it for 95 years from publication.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Owners Manual Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
IANAL but I doubt anyone submitting content to the Samba has ownership of the rights, and thus cant object to their use by others.

Of course, whatever agreement EB has with them should be honoured, but thats not a copyright issue.

Assuming VW has properly registered the copyright for the material, they would still hold it for 95 years from publication.

Abscate - it is not the actual material that the issue is with. It is the collection of data that is owned. I can solicit your clients for the same products and services you offer them. I just can't take your corporate database, copy it and use it to solicit them. Also some of the manuals were donated by owners to TheSamba for use there. Those owners may not want another site using that manual. I've seen this a hundred times in the mortgage industry, and the last guy I advised on it won and collected a million dollar case because someone was soliciting his clients from inside information they stole.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: