Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

They can be on their sides, but must be allowed to be upright for 24 hours or so to settle before being turned on. Natural gas powered ammonia-filled fridges and freezers were quite common in the UK years ago in my youth, and that is the wisdom I recall from then.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I thought I had read that 15" EuroVan Wheel Covers/Hubcaps will fit Steel 15" Passat Rims. Am I right or wrong on this?
I've got 5 rims coming from ECS Tuning today or tomorrow, and wanted to start the process of getting some wheel covers for them if the EuroVans' do fit.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My understanding is that only ammonia refrigerators can run off of natural gas.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Nuthin2It wrote:

The Amish use similar non electric refrigerators today.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Nuthin2It wrote:

Well, for A/C units, in general, there are gas heat pump designs with small natural gas engines driving the heat pump. But yeah AFAIK the ammonia/water absorption design is the only system using gas heating that would be viable for our use in a van.

Physics can be so limiting at times!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The Amish use similar non electric refrigerators today. Dave

I have one that's basically full-size in an out building that I use with my Bee Keeping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

khughes wrote:

Or awesome, you mean! "Hey guys, if you use ammonia, you can create cold by burning stuff" sounds pretty cool to me!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AFAIK......Hate these, but they serve a purpose. So, As Far As I Know, the gas refrigerators are very sensitive to being level and vibration. Sounds OK once you get there, but maybe not so much while getting there.

And by the way. Was thinking about this in the last couple of days when the Mrs and I did a nice roadie through the White Mountains. How any times have we heard. "Are we there yet?". And when we arrive we say, "We're finally here. Why are't we there? Wasn't "there" the destination? How did "There" turn into "Here"? Well we all know what we are talking about, but how does the 2 ˝ year old figure out that "There" and "Here" are the same thing when on an interminably long trip? I guess we have a bunch of these things. We say to the 2 ˝ year old, "I love you". OK, got it, my name is You and your name is I. You is hungry. But then no food shows up. I get some food. And it still doesn't show up. How do they ever figure this stuff out?

We will do it tomorrow, but of course, tomorrow is always a day away so tomorrow when it's currently Tuesday automatically shifts to Wednesday at midnight.

Thank God English was my native tongue.

Duncan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
khughes wrote:

Dancing Or awesome, you mean! "Hey guys, if you use ammonia, you can create cold by burning stuff" sounds pretty cool to me!

This is the right attitude. I have an off-grid cabin with constrained solar/battery but a 500 gallon propane tank, a propane fridge and darn cold beer. Physics is amazing! Dancing

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
AFAIK......Hate these, but they serve a purpose.

You must be unhappy a lot if acronyms disturb you that much. In my line of work I very often have to put in tables of acronyms in procedures (SOPs) because there are so many hundreds in common usage in the industry.

Now, when I start "verbifying" nouns, feel free to shoot me :snipersmile:
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The first step to wellness is distinguishing between acronyms and initialisms.

Onward. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I once a wrote a memo that banned AWODs.

It turned out to be a great IQ test of the employees.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Acronyms v. initialisms I know the difference, but wonder about shady areas. Just because we can pronounce CICPAC, does that turn it into an acronym? NASA, I get.

Now, when I start "verbifying" nouns, feel free to shoot me. That's OK. They are called reverse gerunds, or not. To "climb", v. that was quite a "climb". Why in hell is there a "B" at the end? "Klimb" Isn't that the clamp we add to the flux generator?

Duncan
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Acronyms v. initialisms I know the difference, but wonder about shady areas. Just because we can pronounce CICPAC, does that turn it into an acronym? NASA, I get.

Now, when I start "verbifying" nouns, feel free to shoot me. That's OK. They are called reverse gerunds, or not. To "climb", v. that was quite a "climb". Why in hell is there a "B" at the end? "Klimb" Isn't that the clamp we add to the flux generator?

Duncan

Point taken. I'll use these learnings in how I syntax moving forward.
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

In the Victor Reinz Gasket Kit, the two unmarked white tubes. Are they gasket/o-ring lube or something else?

Looks like this isn't the first time this has been asked but the question about the unmarked tubes was overlooked. - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459308&start=0
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Those small tubes have the special yellow sealer for under the head nut flanges.

Mark

BrownEye02 wrote:
In the Victor Reinz Gasket Kit, the two unmarked white tubes. Are they gasket/o-ring lube or something else? .....
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Those white tubes along with the orange crank seal both go quickly into the trash bin.

I have found “The Right Stuff” to be vastly superior to the unlabeled yellow goo.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Those white tubes along with the orange crank seal both go quickly into the trash bin.
Dave

Think we'll probably do the same. With the science experiment we did over night the yellow stuff didn't set up at all. Didn't even look like it tried to harden even a little.

Thanks!!
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

This question may or may not belong here.
Having problems with my alternator not charging. Bought a new one and still have the problem. Will it show charge at the battery with a bad ground? I have looked and it seems ok? Just trying to figure this seemingly simple problem out.
82 diesel Westy with a brand new 65 amp Bosch alternator.

Thanks in advance.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Alt to starter motor wire. Probably failed terminal at the alt. Replace the whole shebang with Alcor marine #8 wire. Clean everything and use an electrical conducting grease.

This is very common as the motor wiggles on its mounts. Secure the wire to the motor somehow before it runs off to the starter.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 143 of 193

Jump to: