Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine/LSD questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhitehouse51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Planning my winter out, and want to build my motor and transmission. currently, in my 1971 Westfalia, I'm running a 1600 DP, 34 Pict 3 carb, outlaw heads, stock 002 trans, general grabber AT tires. This setup is decent, but can be better to suit my needs.

Currently, I enjoy the decent gas mileage (~19-24 mpg.) I like the reliability (just drove it across the country without any issues.) Reliability is very important to me. I find that with the outlaw heads, it seems to accelerate quicker from a stop, but seems to be lacking a little climbing. There have been some times i've been stuck in 2nd gear climbing a mountain.

Also important: I like the all terrain tires, as I do a LOT of BLM traveling. Often alone, definitely in the wild. miles away from roads, towns, people, and cell service. I haven't been left stranded. This is why reliability is so important to me. This info will also be important regarding my transmission.

I want to build a spare case I have. Originally I was thinking about building it out to a 1915, the power seems nice, however I've seen a lot of threads saying that the thin-wall cylinder setups don't last very long, have problems dissipating heat, compromising reliability. My next thought was building it out to an 1835, using thick wall cylinders. I want to be able to do more off-roading and over-landing, so an increase in power would be nice. The only thing I have with upgrading my motor to these larger sizes is i need to run a single carb. I have an eberspacher bn-4 that I use a lot in the colder months, and want to keep it functional. Any input on this thought process of choosing an engine?

As far as Transmissions go, I've tossed around the idea of putting an 091 6-rib in. The reasoning for this is: I want a limited-slip differential. Have had a few times where the open diff in the 002 has almost left me stuck. I'm hesitant as the r/p and gearings are different. Along with wanting to be able to do some more serious off-roading, I still want to be able to travel long distances on the highway (think 1000+ miles highway.) Am I wrong to think that the 091 paired with an upright engine and 27" tires would bring my top speed down/increase my engine RPMs? or would it be the opposite?

Another option i've tossed around is putting an 091 diff inside the 002, that way I can retain the gearing of the 002. I've seen that the 091 diff is different than the 002 diff and will not fit, I've also seen that it will fit. Smallcar lists the 091 diff on their website, and it says it fits ALL manual transmissions from 1968-1991. Any input on a LSD setup would be appreciated.

Thank you!

(pic of my bus for tax)
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

Good looking bus!

I run a 2275cc, 82x94 and I have no issues with cooling. I do have a deep sump and an external cooler. But, regardless of what combination you choose you should have both of them too.

You can run just about any size T1 engine with a PICT34 carb, you just need to enlarge the Venturi and run either a “cheater” or W90 cam. It I have to ask why? I run Weber IDF40s from CB with CB linkage and get 20 mpg on the highway and 17.5 mpg in town. So, I get more power and similar mpgs as you’re currently getting.

As far as the LSD, you can put either a peliquin or a ZF in an 002. You don’t get the same top speed from the 002 as you get with the 091, but the 002 is a lot better off road. Living in Durango I’m always off road somewhere in the Four corners. The 002 will also handle hills and passes better the the 091, especially with a larger displacement T1.

In my signature line is my bus build, my bug build and my adventure thread. Check out what I have going on, I bet it’s going to be similar to what you want.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
awhitehouse51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Good looking bus!

I run a 2275cc, 82x94 and I have no issues with cooling. I do have a deep sump and an external cooler. But, regardless of what combination you choose you should have both of them too.

You can run just about any size T1 engine with a PICT34 carb, you just need to enlarge the Venturi and run either a “cheater” or W90 cam. It I have to ask why? I run Weber IDF40s from CB with CB linkage and get 20 mpg on the highway and 17.5 mpg in town. So, I get more power and similar mpgs as you’re currently getting.

As far as the LSD, you can put either a peliquin or a ZF in an 002. You don’t get the same top speed from the 002 as you get with the 091, but the 002 is a lot better off road. Living in Durango I’m always off road somewhere in the Four corners. The 002 will also handle hills and passes better the the 091, especially with a larger displacement T1.

In my signature line is my bus build, my bug build and my adventure thread. Check out what I have going on, I bet it’s going to be similar to what you want.

Thanks! Just cruised through your build thread.

richparker wrote:
.... W90 cam. It I have to ask why? I run Weber ....
What were you asking here? It's late and I cant quite make out what you were trying to say lol.

With your bigger engine, I'm suprised and also impressed with your gas mileage. Do you find your 2275 to be overkill at all? Coming from a 1600, I'm afraid that jumping up to a motor that much bigger will be too much.

With your info about the transmissions, sounds like the 002 would be the way to go. the 091 peloquin was the only LSD I could find that was still offered. I've read about the ZF, but seems like they're no longer produced and rare as can be. Didn't see any in the classifieds, or else I might've just had to bite the bullet and ordered one and just hoped it would fit.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

I've heard of, but never seen, a limited slip diff for a 002. Any 091 differential can be made to fit with the complete diff, output bearings/races, side cover adjusters, and output shafts. Plus you'll need to find a shop with the tooling and experience to reset the ring/pinion mesh, which isn't every transaxle or VW shop.

I think German Transaxle in Bend, OR has ZF 091 limited slips. They are good at building gearboxes too; win-win.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

the 091 dif will if no problem I have done it. you need the dif AND the screw-in side covers also the drive flange's. I wouldn't go with the ZF diff hard to get parts for get a Quaife or the like.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

awhitehouse51 wrote:

richparker wrote:
.... W90 cam. It I have to ask why? I run Weber ....
What were you asking here? It's late and I cant quite make out what you were trying to say lol.

With your bigger engine, I'm suprised and also impressed with your gas mileage. Do you find your 2275 to be overkill at all? Coming from a 1600, I'm afraid that jumping up to a motor that much bigger will be too much.

With your info about the transmissions, sounds like the 002 would be the way to go. the 091 peloquin was the only LSD I could find that was still offered. I've read about the ZF, but seems like they're no longer produced and rare as can be. Didn't see any in the classifieds, or else I might've just had to bite the bullet and ordered one and just hoped it would fit.

Sorry, auto correct. I was asking why you would want to run a Larger motor with a single carb, since dual carbs produce more power with similar MPGs. But, I understand you would like to keep your gas heater. So, the gas heater is your limitation and what you need to build around and because of that you need/want to run a single carb. You could run a single IDF40, which would still be reliable and offer more power. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6408.htm

As far as the LSD (Lazy Summer Daze 😂), I’d contact Arizona Transaxle and see what they can come up with. https://aztransaxle.com/ Seeing how your are in Utah, Phoenix is kinda close…

I do not think my engine is over kill. It’s a mild build with 8.13:1 compression and a Engle 110 cam. It was purposely built to push a bus, not race the 1/4 mile and does it’s job nicely. It’s not necessary about going faster, but more about maintaining speed. 60-65 is it’s sweet spot, but it’ll go that fast up all the hills in my area and pulls the passes better then my ‘02 Frontier. I often run loaded to the gills. We go to a lot of festivals where we camp and vend. Thats a lot of gear and the larger motor is able to push the heavy load with ease, unlike a smaller displacement motor. Especially at altitude. After almost 10 years running strokers, I will never go back to stock. Guys will tell you that stock is the best and a stroker won’t last as long. Maybe it won’t, the it’ll be a more enjoyable and a safer ride.

My current engine is probably only pushing 80 HP and 110 FPT at the wheels, it’s not that radical. Here’s a link to my old ‘68 tin top Westy with a similar 2175 build on a Mustang Dyno in Tucson. That engine made 75hp with 107fpt at 4800 rpms.
https://youtu.be/y3on8BVoaIw
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

I offroad my bus a lot and spent a long time looking at different options for a diff, in the end I went for a ZF as it is actually a proper LSD and not just a TBD like a Quaife

Yes it does cost a good amount, but in my view it's the way to go if you can get a new old stock one:

https://www.germantransaxle.com/ZF-Limited-Slip-Di...mp;id=1440

I got mine put in a refurbed 6 rib box I picked up and run it with 215/75/15 BFG AT's

The 6 rib and bigger tyres will reduce your rpm and thus the cooling from the engine fan
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN, I am interested in how the ZF is working out? I am thinking about doing the same in my 79 Bus.

As well, on the GTA site they indicate: "GTA is selling these with the correct side adjusters, seals, o-rings, bearings, and output flanges." Are these items included in the price?
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
VOLTWAGEN, I am interested in how the ZF is working out? I am thinking about doing the same in my 79 Bus.

As well, on the GTA site they indicate: "GTA is selling these with the correct side adjusters, seals, o-rings, bearings, and output flanges." Are these items included in the price?

To my knowledge it was all there, swapped over the ring from the old diff and that was that

I didn't do the work, but the guy who did only charged for labour so I'm guessing all was there

Pictures below are the non lsd diff that came out

And this is what went in:

has been working great, haven't noticed any change on highways at all so all good, and offroad it's been working great
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

swapping a ring doesn't take a lot of work. Swapping a pinion does.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the update VOLTWAGEN. I have done the diff swap on a type 1, albeit a long time ago. I will inquire about what is in the package. Also interested in adding oil holes in the diff housing to increase lubrication. My local contact for that mod seems to be off the grid for a bit. Maybe gears can help.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

German Transaxle in Bend put a Peloquin LSD in my 78 bus. It's been great in the snow.

Just a regular guy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

You need both if you want to trip well.

That’s all I know about that.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

Laughing ya I am down here in Costa Rica now and they know about that. Shocked Very Happy
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

otiswesty, why did you go with the Peloquin? Did you consider the ZF?
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

keen to know as well.
But I assume it must be due to the price and that the saying is that they aren't good for more than 80k kilometres.

Which Peloquin and Quaife reference are the ones for the 002?
I only seem to find them for 091.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/LSD questions Reply with quote

you can put a 091 diff in a 002 you just have to put in 091 side plates , bearings and drive flanges.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: