Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cutting off piston skirt
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yehan73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

I accidentally broke off one of the skirts from a piston in my 94mm x69 build. Are there any negatives chopping off the skirts from the other 3? I know this is done often for long stoke, but not sure anyone’s done it for standard 69?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

the little slipper tip is what i imagine you are saying broke.

the Profile of a pistons skirt extends all the way to the bottom, if you look at on a profilometer or measured on a cmm, they have a whiskey barrel like finish to them , the slipper tips give the piston stability... so in short... dont friggin do it.. further more the force it took to break the tip off like put a big flat spot in the finish of the skirt....

i know it sucks, but do yourself a favor and buy a new set, AA's are cheap enough to not worry... save yourself the headache .

Second thing you brought up, skirt length and such on stroker pistons... its more out of necessity... the piston is less stable and will rock more but you need that skirt to be short to clear the crank counterweights at the bottom of the stroke. everything has its trade off.

-Trevor at UEM , no affiliation with AA.. FWIW
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

Some parts vendors will sell you a single P&C, I know Aircooled.net will.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

Yep,

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=94mm+piston&x=0&y=0

Scroll down on that link
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

How much of it broke off requiring a new piston??

YOu can trim off but you gotta do them all to all of them. Rebalance after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

AA might also sell you just a piston.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

yeah... how much broke off? and if its not too much and you are desperate, you don't have cut them all... only the piston in the opposite bay. the other thing to consider is the thrust face of the piston skirt. when it comes over center on the power stroke one side of the skirt gets more force against the cylinder than the other due to the angle of the rod on the crank pin. the wear pattern is easily seen on worn pistons. btw... opposite bays have opposite thrust faces... that means you piston may be better on the other side

but really... pistons are so cheap...
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

Weigh one of the good ones completely bare.

AA brand I assume?

I will dig thru my stash of singles and see if I have one close.

PM me the weight, and I will reply..
Yehan73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

Thank you so much for everyone’s response. Tom thank you for your offer. I did have two new sets of AA’s, but was trying to see if I can get away with using the old ones. just got the new ones painted and ring gap checked yesterday. They are ready to go in.
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

painted????
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

If you paint them black, they run cooler.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
If you paint them black, they run cooler.

Hmmm I always use hot pink. No really is this true?? Wouldn't the paint just peel off over time and with heat?
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

I've dealt with Glyptal, both applying and removing it, but that was on engine cases..... never seen paint on a piston. is that a thing???
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off piston skirt Reply with quote

Painting the cylinders makes no cooling difference whatsoever. It simply keeps the surface rust from showing...

Whatever helps you sleep at night people Laughing Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: