Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SS100 "replica" Kit Kar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Today I got the brakes bled, but I had to add another strut to support my master cylinder as it was not solid enough yet.

I was really happy that it bled easily and I had no leaks. I was worried that the master cylinder would leak, because there was brake fluid there on the frame when I bought the car. As it turns out the only thing that leaks is the cracked plastic brake fluid reservoir.

I ordered a new one today from J bugs in SoCal for $11 + shipping.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

The master cylinder temporary mount was not sturdy enough so I added another strut and a clip, to and keep everything lined up. Pedal feel is very solid now.

I put the firewall back in the body and got it aligned roughly and bolted in with seven bolts & a rope. It’s going to get one more bolt, but that rope isn’t gonna go away until I get the firewall bonded permanently to the body shell with epoxy and fiberglass.

I need to start wiring up the rear lights and I am out of heat shrink tubing. I don’t have any epoxy putty to start joining the firewall yet, so it’s off to the hardware store for me.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

No wiring yet, but I painted the battery box and I trimmed the pan a bit more. I also repaired/modded the remote reservoir bracket to be more practical. I trimmed up the fuel tank base frame, and took a lot of measurements.

I decided that the two crossmembers that hold up the running boards and fenders need to be boxed together for structural reasons (mostly torsional) and I cut some 2" dia tube struts and started setting it up to weld tomorrow. The crossmembers should be tubes too, but I'd have to buy those, & I won't go that far with the fabbing before I get a title.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I added some 1.75 od tube to bridge the “crossmembers” (runningboard brackets) together, and keep the fenders aligned.

66 year old programmer crawls around on floor to practice out of position welds.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The brace assembly picks up fenders, running boards, seat rails, and rear subframe bolts, tying it all to the floor pan.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

The frame is all welded, dressed, painted, and installed. It fits a lot closer to the pan and fenders now, so there won’t be huge shims as before. I hope. The rear fenders are off again so I can’t exactly tell yet.

I need more reinforcement of the pan where the rear subframe bolts up. I have some metal nearly formed up to weld in.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

A closeup of my welding, where a big gap was closed.

The frame bolted up to the car.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

It is getting better with every piece you add. Nice!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

What is this an oversight, ie, did the original builder pick up a piece of damaged tubing to make his steering column and not notice the defect? Or was this just a mistake that almost happened, and then turned into a worst mistake, when a piece of tubing was almost cut at the wrong spot and then installed with that defect??

Or was this someone’s attempt at sabotage? Look closer here. This is a tubing cutter mark, and it goes almost through the wall of the tubing at one side.

This steering column has been kicking around in my shop for a year now since I disassembled the car and I never noticed this gash because of the layers of rust, dirt, and paint, that disguise this piece of metal from reality.

But today I burnished it all on the wire wheel until it was shining enough to paint and son of a gun, there it was: my doom writ in metal!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I would have to say it was done in place by running a tube cutter back and forth on the same spot without being able to go all the way around.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Then you would just turn the steering wheel and continue cutting, right?
(Unless this came off a wall somewhere...It's common ESW 3/4" EMT.)

But why could somebody put/leave this in their car, if they knew?

Maybe, because they never intended to drive it?

This car was owned by a used car dealer over 30 years. He said he never drove it; and the under-paint still shines, because it sat in his show window to attract customers. Less than 400 miles on the clock since 1981.

Hard to believe it might be attempted sabotage.

Anyhow, I finished the cut with my tubing cutter, and spliced it back with 1" EMT and some 1/4-28 bolts. This will all change when I get a rack & pinion setup.

For now, it will get me in for the "inspection."
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

EMT! It's not just for enclosing wires any more! Think

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Oh lord no! Some very famous custom cars were completely body-framed in EMT.

However that is not my goal. I’m going to get rid of the EMT and change the steering column completely.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I am still fussing around attempting to get the body on straight.

I had to unbolt the rear tub and move it to the driver side 1/4 inch and now everything aligns pretty well, and I feel confident that I should put the rear fenders on now.

I diagnosed the wiring for the windshield wiper motor and lubed it up and reinstalled it on the car with new wires and new spacers.

I reinstalled the windshield as well.

Every day I am getting something done but it is always less than what I expect to get done. Such is life.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

The front needed some temporary flooring and I bent these galvanized panels up from the back of an old Maytag. Very light and sturdy because of the embossment. This will be replaced by painted metal when I re-build the chassis.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Actually, it looks quite alright as is!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Well it doesn’t look too nice from underneath the chassis, believe me.

I made a custom fuel system adapter so I could get the SAE fuel tank hooked up to DIN fuel line. It was done poorly before by using some boogered up AN fittings & a piece of LP 1600 gas hose.

I replaced the LP hose with 10 mm VW, and I ran a new 6 mm VW hose all the way back to the fuel pump, bypassing the old fuel pipes completely. I used new AN fittings on the tank, and I created a new mounting hole, plugging off the old one.

I screwed the support frame down to the chassis and strapped the tank down, and plumbed it in.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Dual batteries?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

It may have even more just for ballast. My front suspension is still topped out, even with the body on. (Gas tank is empty yet….)

There’s not much weight on the front brakes, but these batteries are small. A group 24F plus a big lawn tractor battery that normally runs my Humminbird fish detector.

I have a group 27 battery and two group 29’s I’m not using elsewhere. BUT, I will see if the front brakes want to lock up too easy before I add more than this. I just have stock drums currently. Not too strong, but the car is light.

Stock rear springs sit at typical ride height now, but the fronts don’t droop 2 millimeters at present.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Ah yes! I get it.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I could not deal with cloth ratchet straps to secure my fuel tank, even on a temporary basis. I might decide it’s not so temporary. So today I made a set of steel straps to retain the gas tank.

I took this photo when I was welding the hook on the clutch pedal.

This is the underside of the pedal cluster, showing a lot of damage from sitting in salt water. This is some serious corrosion although it’s not a structural problem and it’s not at all visible from the top.

The heat riser tubes on the intake manifold show the same heavy heavy pitting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 24

Jump to: