Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Overboost.

The Phone Dials are 52.3 mm offset (late Porsche 924 S) and, as mentioned, 15x6 with 195 50-series rubber.

I just got a pair of 10mm spacers and I'll put them on the rear, so I can use the wheel centers, as on the front. (Pure vanity on my part).

Since I have the spacers, I'll experiment with them on the front to see about rubbing and improved handling, etc.

Speaking of ... I've had to grind a 3/16" deep trough in the Phone Dials on the front to avoid wheel-rubbing on the lower control arms. Also, in the rear, I hacked away half of the upper bracket that the trailing-arm snubber hits at full bump. I did this for tire clearance but found the right-rear wheel kissed the bracket just a bit so I ground off a bit more.

I'd thought 52.3mm offset was the best solution but I'm having second thoughts. At least, with this backspacing, I can add a spacer and have greater flexibility.

Lowering on this car = 2.5" dropped spindle front with the stock beam and one inner click on the rear torsion bars. Tires are 2" smaller diameter than stock, so that's another 1" of lowering. 50 years of spring fatigue also contribute.

More to follow as I sort this...

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

10mm spacers on the rear allowed me to install center caps for the Phone Dials.

I had to roll a 4-inch arc of the the right-rear fender (but not the left) about 3mm to avoid tire rub but all's good now.

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Put the narrowed lowered beam in this weekend before heading to Daytona for a week. It came out nice but what a PITA.

The EMPI beam is an absolute POS. If this had been a show car or chassis up restoration, I would have been pissed and returned it.

Everything is a compromise with these Chinesium parts. In the end, it all went together but not before some serious words I didn't even know were in my vocabulary.

I am happy with the stance and the 2" narrow, it looks good to me. The lowered shocks are too short as they are topped out with no droop and rode like a tank, and the stock length shocks are bottomed out at ride height. I need something in between.

The Fuchs alloys are at the paint shop color matching the background and still waiting on the Michelins. For now, it makes me smile but still a lot to go...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

.....did nothing except take it for a drive in sunny Melbourne....

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I installed a 356 Porsche ashtray. I loved the look in my old '66 and wanted to duplicate in my '68, but I wasn't sure it would fit, so I took a chance and it looks right at home!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

After running the Shorrock on my '58 Ghia for 11 years I finally got round to rerouting the choke cable to the Stromberg carb correctly. Thought I'd better do it now with winter approaching, the Shorrock needs a little choke with winter starting.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I drove it to my first physical meeting at work in about a year and a half, lol! Today I installed a set of clear lenses. Now I can go clear or go amber whenever I feel like it...I'm still using the shower caps to keep my hubcaps cat pee free. They're working well, when I go for a ride, I snatch them off, then stick 'em back on when I'm done. The funny thing is, the neighborhood cats don't seem to pee on them when they're on, but if they weren't there they'd be ruined by now...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I'm making some progress on my Ghia. I just finished rebuilding the driver side heater channels using OG donor sections. Hoping to get the outer rocker welded on later tomorrow. Passenger side is done

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I'm always impressed to see these cars cut up and put back together at this level. Looks like you are doing some excellent work.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I installed a cup holder that will actually hold a cup! It's from torkwerks.com and is made of aluminum, they have an ad in the parts section. It just attaches to the front shifter bolt, so it's pretty easy, but I think I'm gonna trim that plastic housing a tad, so it sits more flush. It even comes with this cool sticker! I can finally toss that PITA wire basket to the curb...

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

That is an awesome cup holder!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I found this cup holder setup.
Holds two.
They’re actually a 3D print of stock jugs. 85.5mm.
Holds Yeti coozies perfectly.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/687694241/classic-vw-...e_active_2

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

I found this cup holder setup.
Holds two.
They’re actually a 3D print of stock jugs. 85.5mm.
Holds Yeti coozies perfectly.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/687694241/classic-vw-...e_active_2

Hey, those are cool! I only need room for one cup though, my wife says "I aint riding in that GD thing!" Lol...
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Waiting on the new turbo motor and Pro Street IRS box I just couldn't do the tweeter pipes any more. Merge exhaust to stinger into Dynomax 17676 can and dump. Looks so much better than the stock muffler and sounds a whole lot better. It's the little things. Cool

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

More prep for the new turbo motor and pro street transmission coming soon

DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

As always, on a free Saturday all day in the garage and a fight with a sheet metal machine Smile The front is almost finished.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I decided to refurbish my Pedrini wheels myself after a panelbeater quoted me $200 per wheel, sat on the rims for 2 months, and then said I have to have take them away and have the media blasted first. That after I had them taken off the rims at $20 per wheel, with another $30 per wheel to put the tyres back on and balance them.

So I did it myself at the cost of 2 cans of Hammerite paint and raw fingers from all the sanding.

Yes, first all the sanding.

Then came filling the gouges and cuts with Selleys KNEAD-it epoxy putty and sanding those areas smooth again.

This was followed by a lot of masking (because I didn't want to take the tyres off a second time).

Detail after 3 light coats with 20 minutes flash time and a wet coat after 30 min.

And the finishing touch installing the caps Charley had sourced for me.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I decided to refurbish my Pedrini wheels myself...

You, sir, are to be commended. Applause Nice finish on the wheels; not bad on the caps, but around these parts a White Castle is associated with bite-sized gut bombs... Laughing https://www.whitecastle.com/menu
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

very nice result on the wheels!
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

My Fuchs are finally back from paint. Hoping to get them on this week.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 157 of 166

Jump to: