Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ntngman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Almost done, hoping to install Sunday for start up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Beautiful! Can't wait to hear more.

Did you have any issues assembling it? The rocker geometry led me down a deep and expensive rabbit hole lol.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
Reed Green wrote:
I've been having the same problem as 6T5. Popping from the carbs, and engine backfiring, getting lots of black smoke. Next to impossible to get it tuned right. I bought the kit already installed on a "refreshed" 36er, so don't have any real history on it. Had Mr Okrasa re-bush the throttle shafts, and replace the jets and Venturies. Still the same issue only now I don't have fuel leaking from my throttle shafts. I'm building a fresh 36 this winter with new everything to eliminate the unknown.

Hi Reed.
Here are some things you and 6T5 can check.

1) Make sure you DONT have excessive fuel pump pressure. I find that 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. is sufficient. If too much pressure, it will overcome
the needle valve and over fill the fuel bowl and pour raw fuel down the carb. The engine will pop, sputter, idle rough and blow out black smoke.

snip, snip...

4) Check for vacuum leaks! I've noticed that the mounting surfaces on the welded intake manifolds are sometimes "wavy". I use a large vixen file and then my 20" disc sander. The way I check for leaks: Instead of using carb. cleaner or starting fluid, I use a BUTANE torch BUT NOT LIGHTED!!! I start the engine, open up the butane tank valve and aim the gas at the base of intake manifolds, carb to manifolds, equalization tube, etc, etc...There will be a noticeable change in engine RPM if butane is sucked in by the engines vacuum. This method is less messy and works all the time.

Try the above and see if you get any results. Cheers Amigos! Cool

Hi Joe and all,

Two questions on your about recommendations:

Could you clarify your fuel testing procedures for us num-nut amateur mechanics out here? Can you suggest a minimum fuel pressure desired at idle, say about 800rpm or maybe 1,000rpm, and then suggest a maximum fuel pressure at 3,000 or whatever you suggest rpm's? Thanks!

I like the Butane suggestion, but would LP gas work, or do we need to hunt down a Butane tank?

Thanks for your clarifications and tips!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ntngman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

So was hoping for a flawless build but can’t get the carbs to idle just right. After further inspection the carb/manifold base seemed wavy, checked it out and sure not, it wasn’t squared.

Gonna sand them down slowly to see if maybe that is the cause. I’m hoping the carb jets aren’t the issue as mentioned in various posts, if so, will speak to Joe soon.

Will see.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

last one I put together I had to take the manifolds to a belt sander they where warped pretty good . check them with a straight edge. you can use a large flat file as well .
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hutmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Fuel pressure can wreak havoc on this set up. Keep it low. mine is 2.5 at the most.

HUTMO

Samba Member #1115
Joined Feb 6, 2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Hello all

Did anyone here use only single springs or dual springs for the WW
high performance cam?

If single, did you have any issues and need to go dual?

Thanks
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

jz56oval wrote:
Hello all

Did anyone here use only single springs or dual springs for the WW
high performance cam?

If single, did you have any issues and need to go dual?

Thanks

Dual springs with the shitty metal they use in cams now days runs a good risk of eating the cam.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I have been running the kit now for a few years. But Ive always had an issue with the idle slowing down. I have the bolt on linkage for the throttle hook up. When I take my foot off the gas pedal, the RPM's do not drop down to a normal idle speed. (I set idle at 650 rpm during tune up and balancing).
Now as far as I can see it, two things could be happening to cause the stuck idle- 1) the pedal assembly may need to be cleaned and greased or 2) i have always noticed that the linkage bar that goes under the generator to the right carb rubs against the bottom of the generator. Maybe this is causing drag. I have installed an extra spring on the right carb throttle linkage to pull back the carb to idle with some success. But I would like to eliminate the problem entirely.

As I stated, the engine carburetor linkage that came with the kit is the bolt on style. The linkage bars connect to the linkage with a ball and socket type set up. Would it be make sense to remove the right side ball and mount it upside down under the mounting plate? In theory, this would lower the bar and it would no longer rub under the generator.
any ideas?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

John,
Looking at other picts of your style set up, I see a few things that might help. 1. The carb linkage arm may be able to be rotated down if it is adjustable. If it is not adjustable, they are available on Ebay. Just seaarch Solex carb parts. I have seen them. 2. The linkage bar can be bent down slightly to miss the generator. Then lengthen the bar to keep it the same length as before the bend. 3. Or mount the bar upside down as you stated. Good luck!
'63 OG 117
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Link to adjustable linkage arm set up:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262781072212
'63 OG 117
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Put in the adjustable arm linkage from Bob. we also put a slight bend in the rod itself and now there's no rubbing

I was still having issues with the throttle return. During tune ups I would set the idle to 650 but when driving the car the engine would not kick down. I have investigated all angles with this issue and feel that the problem is the center return linkage- where the throttle wire hooks up to the throttle linkage. while it may need to be replaced ($135) we tried removing the center cap on top and oiling the shaft. This along with the addition of an extra retaining spring, hooked to the side of the generator, seems to have done the trick.

Afraid that if I purchase the new linkage post I may still have the same problem.

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I am running the same linkage but with different carbs. One thing I notice is that your center pivot is not clocked as tightly as mine. Perhaps this is due to the fact that your original arms were not adjustable. If looking at the center pivot from the top and imagining the fan shroud is 12 oclock,, the top of your arm looks like its resting at 7 oclock. I found that I needed to "wind" my center arm a bit more, so that its at 8 oclock, in order to provide enough spring tension to return the carbs to fully closed. Now that you have adjustable linkage, you may want to try to "reclock" the center arm to provide more closing tension on the linkage. Sounds like you have a good handle on it either way.
I'm learning that "bolt on" does not mean bolt on and go... some tinkering/adjusting/re-engineering is sometimes necessary for the desired effect!
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea 5500. I believe the center arm is in the fully relaxed position. So your saying to put more tension on the throttle cable by winding up the spring a bit. Its worth a try.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
That's an interesting idea 5500. I believe the center arm is in the fully relaxed position. So your saying to put more tension on the throttle cable by winding up the spring a bit. Its worth a try.

Exactly!
chris fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Pretty much finished with the tweaking, just about ready to install.
Im going to say I dont love these carbs even after the Mr Okrasa improvements.

1965 Porsche 912/6 https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/3826-australian-delivered-1965-912-restoration
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I an curious, what issue are you having with the carbs?
chris fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

alanhall wrote:
I an curious, what issue are you having with the carbs?

From all my reading here it seems to be a fairly common one where even with the idle screws bottomed out the idle mixture is rich.

Most recently I changed the idle bleed jets (u) back to a larger size and this has helped a lot
1965 Porsche 912/6 https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/3826-australian-delivered-1965-912-restoration
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

chris fryer wrote:

Im going to say I dont love these carbs even after the Mr Okrasa improvements.

The reason that I started "reworking" these carburetors was because the manufactures production quality control tolerances were not up to the original GERMAN standards as the originals. Also, the jets installed in the carbs were way off per original Okrasa specs. When I rework the carbs, I do some throttle shaft bore mods. and change out several jets that I know are way off per Okrasa specs. This get's you within the "ballpark" and now you have a starting point where you can start the process of fine tuning your engine. You mentioned that you changed the air bleed jet (U) to a larger size and it seem to run better because it was running rich? Well if you "bottom out" the air/fuel mixture screws and the engine is still running........that tells me you may possibly have a vacuum leak somewhere in the induction side or your carbs. are flooding even though you have correct fuel pump pressure. The needle valves even new are sometimes bad....

Have you done some preliminary checks to make sure all the other components on your engine are up to par? You'd be surprised how even a "new" bad spark plug can give you grey hair trying to figure out what's the problem. Test the plugs, coil, wires, ignition, compression, fuel pump pressure, eng. ground, carb. flooding, plugged jet(s), fuel filter, batt. voltage, eng. timing, condenser, vacuum leaks at carb. base and int. to head (problematic with W.West kit).

I had a customer who had purchased a fully restored VW and right away installed W.West dual port engine kit. He tried for the hardest time to get the engine to run correctly but couldn't. He even sent the carbs. back in exchange for another set. Still....problems persisted so he sent the carbs. back for a 3rd. set! Finally, he sent the carbs to me and I went through them like the others I've done many dozens of times. He installed the carbs. back onto his engine and ran better but still had some "coughing / sputtering" issues. I told him to check his fuel pump pressure (fuel pump was rebuilt) to make sure the carbs were not flooding.....I told him this the very first time we talked but he didn't check. This time, he checked and sure enough, it was high so he made the adjustment and "WALAA" Applause, she ran like a champ! The customer was finally able to drive his VW after owning it more than a year and not being able to drive it on the street.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

My post was in no way intended as a criticism.

I eliminated any and all of the items you mention as I worked through the running on the work stand, and yes most of them needed attention.

As I understand (u) the slightly larger diameter increases the volume of air but reduces the velocity thereby not drawing as much fuel from the idle jet.

Anyhows the engine needs installing and driving now. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: