Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

It's an LX470
Basically it is a 100 series toyota Land Cruiser with some different headlights and maybe some fancier things inside.
Of course all of those fancy things like touch screen nav and HVAC controls are all totally outdated at this point as its a 2002 and a lot has changed since then.

Anyway it has 215,000 miles on it and still runs silky smooth.
Just developed a squeak in one of the ball joints but it will be going in for a lift and some new tires and wheels soon so I will fix it then.

This is one of those vehicles that people keep.for 350,000 miles or more so its just getting broken in

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Wow, given the current market for campervans, you got a steal. If you don't like it, gussy it up and flip. Reimo is the only aftermarket top I'm familiar with, and they look a lot like the Westfalia. The five cylinder five speed vans are probably the most bulletproof Transporters VAG ever imported into North America.

If any other trained eyes can chime in, I would apricate it. We exchange money tomorrow morning.

BK

It got bought out from under me!! That's ok, I didn't really like the rattyness of that Eurovan overall (could of made a killing flipping it but that's not my style). I bought a super clean 2000 Subaru Forester locally in its place.

BK
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

So I bought the Honda Element for $1,600. Drove it lightly for almost a year and sold it for $3,000. Bought the Subaru Forester today for $2,000 so my actual out of pocket is only $600. I know a JDM EJ20 swap will be in my future some day but the car is clean enough to allow that to take place and still be ahead of the market if I decide to ever sell.

BK
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
So I bought the Honda Element for $1,600. Drove it lightly for almost a year and sold it for $3,000. Bought the Subaru Forester today for $2,000 so my actual out of pocket is only $600. I know a JDM EJ20 swap will be in my future some day but the car is clean enough to allow that to take place and still be ahead of the market if I decide to ever sell.

BK

Had a issue with the Subaru and the seller gave me back $250, now I'm into the Subaru for just $350. I sold it this past weekend for $2,800 So now I'm ahead $2,450 with no car, just money in the bank that I didn't earn. Next attempt is buying a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero (aka; Pajero, Shogun) for $3,650 (asking price) tomorrow. Flipping cars (with zero intent of profit) is entertaining to experience how cars are made and drive so wildly different. Does anyone in this group have experience with the Mits?

BK
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

Why have a back up. Just put the $2,450 into the T3 and make it relatable so you don't need a back up. And less gas tanks to evaporate fuel vapors into the atmosphere, and fewer batteries and spark plugs to buy.

Global warming? Have a tax on the number of spark plugs you own.

Duncan
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Why have a back up. Just put the $2,450 into the T3 and make it relatable so you don't need a back up. And less gas tanks to evaporate fuel vapors into the atmosphere, and fewer batteries and spark plugs to buy.

Duncan

Duncan,

I want a backup to anything I deem essential and that definably includes a working vehicle available at all times. Uber & Lift are not abundant in my area (unlike some urban areas that make car ownership seem silly) thus a secondary rig is necessary in my eyes.

BK
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Duncan

My Vanagon and I are relatable for sure, we trust each other and understand the joy from the good but also plight from the bad. My van has also been reliable over the years including a 5K mile round trip. At the age our vans are, you cannot just throw money at them to make them young again, 30+ years often looks better on peoples internals than machines.

BK
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Duncan

And just in case your were serious;

- Fuel tanks do evaporate fumes at times and they are caught/absorbed by the charcoal canister by design. The fumes are reintroduced into a running engine to be burned along with the fresh liquid fuel.

-Batteries, high current lead based batteries are necessary for ICE engine starting. This keeps the lead valuable and recycled vs going underground in a land fill and getting into the water table.

BK

PS I worked some time ago at a German shop where part of any major service (tune-up) was to adjust the CO/HC value pre-cat with a proper gas analyzer and adjust it into spec. I did my part on emissions helpfulness.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

Gas fumes do escape into the atmosphere when we fill the tanks in spite of the vapor recovery systems.

Getting extra anything useable into the market place takes energy, whether it's recycled or from raw materials. The fewer batteries made or recycled, the fewer spark plugs made, the better.

I know this is nit picking, but nothing we make is of zero energy cost.

I was being facetious about the comments, but not about just fixing up the T3. "At the age our vans are, you cannot just throw money at them to make them young again." Yes you can. Ask FAS for a "brand new" T3 and they will be happy to oblige. Yes, it will mean throwing money at it........a lot of money.

Duncan
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

I have eight drivers in my Commune - spread around four locations. OF those who drive, we keep a spare car in each location, the newest one is a 2006.

By doing our own R&M we have not bought anything new to us since 2009. The offload from new manufacturing in this model swamps the impact of the extra cars
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

2009? Why would you need anything that new? When Uncle Harry dies, my stable will consist of a '37 Ford woody, a Bugatti Atlantique and perhaps a Rolls from the mid '30s. And an Austin 7 phaeton.

Duncan
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup vehicle to your daily driven Vanagon? Reply with quote

I bought the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero (aka; Pajero, Shogun) Limited edition yesterday for $3K. Any Mitsubishi fans in this group?

BK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: