Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 carb and dizzy advice
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikbrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

Just picked up a 73 super. Trying to sort out some of the odd choices they made.
Engine is about 12 year old GEX remanufactured 1776. I have the original invoice. No mention of any other parts, so I’m guessing stock can, stock heads.

In the last year they have installed dual 40HPMX kit, and what looks like a 009 dizzy with a pertronix module.

Timing set good. Runs good at top end but mid throttle not great. I’m thinking this is just way too much carb for a bone stock 1776.

I am thinking going back to stock carb and a pertronix SVDA dizzy. Hoping this makes it a better cruiser without too much loss in top end.

This sound like a good choice?
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

What is it about mid throttle that is not great? And actually those 40s will work just fine on a stock 1776.
Just be cautious If you choose to go to a stock carb and if that motor does have a cam, it might be very difficult to tune and function well.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

GEX Shocked Shocked Shocked run away run away!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

Inside of distributor needs close inspection for cleanliness and lubrication. May not be advancing properly. Return it to points instead of electronic module and see how it advances.

Or you might have an unsuitable cam. GEX only ever built "sweep the floor" motors with unknown parts!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

When did a dual carburated 1776 engine become "bone stock"?

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nikbrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
When did a dual carburated 1776 engine become "bone stock"?

I was just saying it does not seem to have any other performance parts. It seems to be stock heads, cam etc.
nikbrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:

Yeah, not my fav. I remember them being bad 20 years ago. For now it runs okay. Who know how long it will last.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

I bet the jetting is off, and the distributor is not the greatest. Baseline jetting is often too lean.

First thing I would do is pull all the jets, write down the sizes, do an initial carb setup and synch, and set the timing. When you set the timing you will be able to see how the distributor behaves.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

nikbrewer wrote:
Engine is about 12 year old GEX remanufactured 1776.

bigbore wrote:

Just run the engine, even if it is GEX. Sometimes the blind squirrel finds a nut !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
nikbrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I bet the jetting is off, and the distributor is not the greatest. Baseline jetting is often too lean.

First thing I would do is pull all the jets, write down the sizes, do an initial carb setup and synch, and set the timing. When you set the timing you will be able to see how the distributor behaves.

Would switching to a SVDA dizzy help off idle throttle response and light throttle cruising?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

if your carbs pull enough vacuum on the port, yes, but I would get the carbs as close as possible first before worrying about that. At least verify your jetting, sync the carbs, set the timing, and dial in the accelerator pump squirt first. Then you can see what kind of vac the advance ports pull, and see if it's enough to pull a can on an SVDA. Sometimes these carbs don't pull enough vacuum, especially if the engine hasn't been set up correctly, or isn't in good tune.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

I would go back to the stock carb and dist.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

HPMX carbs need to be modified to pull enough vacum for an SVDA.
But thatīs not the problem. Thatīs fine tuning.
99% certain carb sync and jetting.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Quote:
HPMX carbs need to be modified to pull enough vacum for an SVDA.

I am probably going to encounter this issue on my new 1776 build with dual 40 HPMX's and PerTronix lll SVDA.

I plan to use the 009 initially but would like to "upgrade"(?) to the SVDA eventually.

I have found lots of info re "anti-pulse valves" and vacuum hose connections, but nothing re modifying the carbs. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Would you please elaborate or point me to an informative thread?

THANX and STAY WELL!!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 carb and dizzy advice Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

In addition, you'll need to remove the air cleaner top and filter to access the tall brass pipes in the middle of the carb top and remove them. At the very bottom of those pipes will be the main jet. Hopefully it has the size stamped into the side; look for numbers such as 115, 125, etc.

Then take a flashlight and shine it down the rear (back of car) carb throat. Look down the throat to the venturi, which is the "collar" that has a smaller diameter than the carb throat above. You "should" see a 2-digit number cast into the top of the venturi, such as 28 or 30. That is the venturi smallest diameter in millimeters.

Idle jets are accessed from the sides of the carbs and will be very hard to reach on your Beetle due to the engine compartment side panels coming close to the carbs. You can try the front idle jet on one side since the engine side panel widens going frontwards, but you'll need a very short/stubby flat-blade screwdriver. "Usually" all 4 idle jets are the same size per carb set. Once out, the idle jet should also have small numbers stamped into it, such as 50, 55, 60.

I think a pair of 40 HPMXs will be fine for an otherwise stock 1776; though hopefully you have an upgraded exhaust. My stock 1600 dual-port with just some home-ported heads, 1 3/8" header and genuine Weber 40 IDFs runs strong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: