Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb troubles on a 1600cc?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Hello all!

I just installed a set of dual Dell's 36 on a 1600cc engine. These carbs came of another 1600cc but years ago so have been idle for a while.
I have emulsion tubes 122 and idle 46.
009 with points set to around 30deg at full advance
flow is measured at the 4 corners at around 5

what I see/hear:
at fast throttle push if dies for a bit before picking up
after high revs it stays art higher revs for a pretty long time before settling down.
carbs are sometimes coughing and when pushing the throttle it seems like some fuel sprays up out of the carbs?

Any pointers on what I can stilll check matching the symptoms?

Thanks!
Peter
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Since you received the Carburetors you say that they had been sitting for quite some time, did you go through the carburetors or rebuild them before installing them on the engine?
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

I have opened them up and blew out what I could, I did not fully rebuild them with new seals.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Did you test that the accelerator pumps are working?
May need new diaphragms. just observe that they squirt?

The idle jets are very small,
It might be ok size if the engine has a very strong vacuum signal and high compression, but I think you would also need a vaccum advance distributor to run that lean.
Maybe they have been drilled larger.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Accelerator pumps seems to be working very nicely and I see a nice steady flow of fuel coming out when the throttle is activated, no hesitation there it seems.

what would you recommend as better starting point for idle jets?

What are the common reasons the carbs seems to be coughing sometimes when on idle? and when I hit the throttle they sneeze sometimes wit what seems like a mist of fuel puffed upwards?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Popping up through the carb. Is an indication of a lean condition.

Bump the idle jets up one size and see if that helps a bit.

Also make sure to adjust the mixture screws to achieve the best lean idle (BLI).
The BLI adjustment should be done with every change to the engine. Be it, jet change, idle screw adjustment, or ignition timing adjustments.

Note: When the engine is cold. It will pop through the carbs for a minute or so. Once the manifolds warm up a little. It should clam down on the popping.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Ignition and valves I have checked before and were all good... So first next check: increase size of idle followed by the screws potentially!

will try this this evening:-)
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

so took them all apart again and cleaned again, all passages should be clear!
also changed to 52 idle jets, biggest I still had around

not much improvement... besides going worse:-( seems I now have an issue with the float on 3-4side. First was overflowing, now during running it pulled the chamber empty from fuel.

What is the best way to set these floats?

Thanks!
Peter
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
so took them all apart again and cleaned again, all passages should be clear!
also changed to 52 idle jets, biggest I still had around

not much improvement... besides going worse:-( seems I now have an issue with the float on 3-4side. First was overflowing, now during running it pulled the chamber empty from fuel.

What is the best way to set these floats?

Thanks!
Peter

Set the float level at 5.5-6mm below the carb top. Stand the carb top vertically and measure the float level with the top gasket in place too.
I try to find a stud that is 5.5mm a and use it as a gauge. Or anything that is that diameter, should work.

Do you know your fuel pressure. It really shouldn't be any higher than 3.5psi.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

CB performace kits came with

30mm venturi
180 air jet
#2 emulsion tube
122main

60 idle
50 acc pump jets

(tho most agree these pump jet and idle sizes are too large)
I would start with 55 idle jets and 45 pump jets

How do we know it is the same exact model as what CB sold?
Have to check all the circuits to see if it is the same or not.
I think most are all the same.
The 40drlas had several different models tho

set the float to close off fuel 6-7mm from the gasket, make sure the float valve is tight even if you did not loosen it yourself.
Make sure the venturi is not upside down, size number should be visible from top.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

I have reset the floats to 6mm closed and 12 mm when lowered and that seems to work now.
checked sparkplugs again, rechecked valves, changed gaskets, ... and ordered a compression tester to make sure all 4 cilinders are at teh right compression.

Also reset the carbs as in throttle gap at 0,1mm and idle screws at 3.5 out. Engine starts well and idles well. Flow i measure is 7 in all 4 corners and revs nicely when I open teh throttlle slowly.
It still stumbles when I hit the throttle fast and sometimes have some bang/fire out of cilinder 4 (hence my compression test I want to do)

maybe I should look for some 60s idles to try that?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

I'd enlarge the acc pump jets.

The "idle jet size" should be judged by how it cruises at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.

From alfa sud, most came with 33 or 35 pump jets and 32mm venturi, and that works on THAT car, but only because they are very high compression.

LOW compression stock VW engine, those sizes are for sure not going to work.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

So bought a compression tester and checked 4 cilinders... 1-2-3 are at 8 while #4 is at 6.
So guessing that is why the #4 has more of the ploffing and backfire through the Dellorto? Will this most likely be caused by the valves or the cilinders? Given the effect on the carbs I would guess vales?

Should i buy a leaktester as well to find out, or just remove the heads and lap the valves?

Thanks!
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Is that 80lbs and 60lbs?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Rick,

Peter means 8 bar(116 psi) and 6 bar (87 psi) respectively.

Peter,
Yes a leak down tester could be valuable here to help realize the next direction to go. Have you verified the valve adjustment, especially of #4? Did you try putting a squirt of oil down the spark plug hole and repeat the compression test?
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Ah yes 14.7 bar per pound, little slow tonight.😜
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
Rick,

Peter,
Yes a leak down tester could be valuable here to help realize the next direction to go. Have you verified the valve adjustment, especially of #4? Did you try putting a squirt of oil down the spark plug hole and repeat the compression test?

DITTO!

Should have a min of 110lbs, definitely a problem cylinder.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
Rick,

Peter,

Exactly, measured in bars:-)

I did check all valve adjustments again and they are all right, but have not tested with oil (would that not mess up the compression tester, would think the oil will be pushed in the tube/gauge?).
Will check to buy that leaktester, was just thinking that with the symptoms in the carb it would most likely be the intake valve not closing off properly?

at least I have a better direction to go looking for:-)
thanks!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Your compression tester will not be harmed by the oil, nor the fuel. Verify that your distributors advance weights are free moving.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: carb troubles on a 1600cc? Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
Hello all!

I just installed a set of dual Dell's 36 on a 1600cc engine. These carbs came of another 1600cc but years ago so have been idle for a while.
I have emulsion tubes 122 and idle 46.
009 with points set to around 30deg at full advance
flow is measured at the 4 corners at around 5

what I see/hear:
at fast throttle push if dies for a bit before picking up
after high revs it stays art higher revs for a pretty long time before settling down.
carbs are sometimes coughing and when pushing the throttle it seems like some fuel sprays up out of the carbs?

Peter

No matter that they came from another 1600. It may have run like crap too, or be a totally different set up.

As touched earlier.
A stock 1600 engine should have no more than 30 mm venturies.
A stock 1600 needs more idle jet. Most of the time a 0,58 is correct. - Sometimes they even need 0,60.
E tube. 9164-2 is the default. "1" or "3" can work too.
Main jet. 4 x venturi size + a tad. So with 30 mm venturies I would begin with 125 and work my way from there
Main air should be 180 from a start and often is where it should be.
Do you have stacks installed? If not, get a set.
Ignition. Check that the distributor is advancing properly. should be 10-11 degrees @ idle, about 20 @ 2000 and all in by approx 27-2800.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: