Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Sitting Low
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

2 things don't look right. First, your perimeter seal does not appear to have the "J"-shaped portion into which the edges of the engine tin fit. Looks like that section of the seal is either missing entirely or was cut off cleanly along that white horizontal line.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next, hard to see in this shot due to not enough light shining onto the front of the engine, but the seal that fits into the channel on the underside of the firewall looks completely out of position. You can also see the top edge of the front engine cross-tin which is usually farther forward. Gives the impression as if the engine is still too far rearward and not sitting against the transmission, but that's not the situation based on your other photos.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
73Otto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
2 things don't look right. First, your perimeter seal does not appear to have the "J"-shaped portion into which the edges of the engine tin fit. Looks like that section of the seal is either missing entirely or was cut off cleanly along that white horizontal line.

Next, hard to see in this shot due to not enough light shining onto the front of the engine, but the seal that fits into the channel on the underside of the firewall looks completely out of position. You can also see the top edge of the front engine cross-tin which is usually farther forward. Gives the impression as if the engine is still too far rearward and not sitting against the transmission, but that's not the situation based on your other photos.

The J shape loops back up to the white line you are referring to. If you peel it back at the white line the channel is there down.

The front engine cross tin appears to be out of position in the photo but the firewall seal is just jammed behind the tin at the moment. I have since run a flathead under the seal to guide it up and over the front engine tin. I can post a photo of that if you wish.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

Is the seal upside down? Or maybe backwards is a better description.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

SB001...maybe its just an optical illusion but it looks to me like your lower pully is rough from rust and has worn the sides of the belt prematurely causing it to sit lower in the groove than normal and allowing the edges of the top of it to curl up...i use an air die grinder with a plastic encapsulated wire wheel to clean them up...thats why jimbo thinks its the wrong size and too tight... sorry to hijack...but to the OP...most of the seals currently available fit like crap...try another brand

Last edited by volksworld on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
73Otto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
Is the seal upside down? Or maybe backwards is a better description.

No, the orientation is correct. The J is facing the way it would need to in order to hook under the engine tins.
73Otto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

For anyone following the thread with a similar issue, it ended up being the new seal I put in. Was able to insert the rear engine tin into the J channel and pull the seal down into place before bolting the tin down. Then work it around to the other side tins from above and below with a flathead screw driver and some elbow grease.

Looks nice now.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

73Otto wrote:
For anyone following the thread with a similar issue, it ended up being the new seal I put in. Was able to insert the rear engine tin into the J channel and pull the seal down into place before bolting the tin down. Then work it around to the other side tins from above and below with a flathead screw driver and some elbow grease.

Looks nice now.

Thanks for that tip- I'll have to try that on mine.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

73Otto wrote:

Looks nice now.

Glad that you got it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
73Otto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Sitting Low Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo.

sb001 wrote:
Thanks for that tip- I'll have to try that on mine.

Hopefully it works out for you as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: