Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noise from rear drum brakes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

I recently noticed when braking at almost a stop there is a slight scraping or whooshing sound from Scarlett’s rear brakes just before letting off the pedal. Not a metal-to-metal contact noise, and all braking operation seems normal. Happens in reverse as well. Any ideas, Sambanistas?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

You sure it is in the rear and not coming fro the vacuum brake booster?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Yes, it is definitely a friction-type sound. Maybe “whooshing” is misleading.

Tornado Red
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

how's your hand brake acting? there's a few inspection holes on the back plate
check out your pads
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Yes, the parking brake is fine. Taking it into the shop tomorrow for a brake inspection on all four corners. Winter arrived here in Nor Cal with a bang this weekend…

Tornado Red
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

When I had similar sounds from my rear brakes it turned out that my brake adjuster rod had fallen away from the shoes and was laying in the bottom of my drum.
The fork portion was grinding away as I drove.

This here piece -->
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

has the van been parked a while? the drums rust (even discs) and are noisey for a while. it cleans up with just driving.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful tips. I will report back after a visit with our mechanic.

Tornado Red
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

First thing with wheel noise is to feel for heat. Is anything getting hot?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

I can't remember 1000% if the Vanagon and Bay brakes are the same set-up, but on the Bus there's a big 'C' clip and pin that holds the parking brake lever to the brake shoe. I recently had a clip fall off the pin on my Bus, and it was making a light grinding sound from time to time, but it would often go away. Not an aggressive 'metal on metal' sound, just a light rubbing or scraping sound. Everything worked properly, so at first I was thinking it was a small rock or something inside the drum.
As soon as I pulled the drum off, there it was, laying on the wheel cylinder. The 'C' clip had done so many rotations between the drums and shoes, it was worn paper thin. I figured the sound was there when it was riding around the drum, but sometimes it would get thrown onto the wheel cylinder, and the sound would go away. Eventually it would rattle back down, and start the noise again.
Needless to say, pull off the drum, and hopefully the issue will be obvious. Luckily mine was a 5 minute fix with a spare clip I had laying around.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes — SOLVED! Reply with quote

Apparently leaking brake cylinders soaked the shoes and caused the noise. New brake cylinders, brake shoes and drums on order…

Tornado Red
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes — SOLVED! Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Apparently leaking brake cylinders soaked the shoes and caused the noise. New brake cylinders, brake shoes and drums on order…

youre most of the way to the cost of removing the rear drums entirely at that point Smile

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes — SOLVED! Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:
youre most of the way to the cost of removing the rear drums entirely at that point Smile

I assume you are suggesting switching to disk brakes in the rear. Perhaps, but we have one very nice Carat that we are keeping all original.

Tornado Red
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Leave that disc brake for the Blingers.

The drum brakes will lock the wheels and are cheaper and easier to run and maintain , amd give you a much better parking brake
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Make sure you get the rear cylinders with the spring inside.
Some don’t …..

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Noise from rear drum brakes Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Leave that disc brake for the Blingers.

The drum brakes will lock the wheels and are cheaper and easier to run and maintain , amd give you a much better parking brake

I can see the need for disks on all four corners if you load your van with bigger wheel/tires, steel bumpers, swing out spare, full length roof rack, and three Yakima boxes on top! Laughing

Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: