Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Maybe this is a difference between the NAPA and ARB awnings? I've used the ARB for five years and never gave any thought to dropping one leg to the lowest height to allow rain or snow to run off. The plastic seems to flex just fine on the ARB.

djkeev wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:
alaskadan wrote:
The main reason is to be able to lower it to shed water when raining. I noticed this when I used it for the first time and couldn't leave it unattended when it was raining. To lower it enough to shed without puddling it was torquing down on the connection with the channel too much. I suppose giving shade from the sun when its lower on the horizon too. One leg can be raised to create a trough to gather rain water too.

I guess I'm still not sure why this is needed. My awning sets up with the legs at minimum length. The legs just are at a slight angle inward at the same tilt as the awning. They can still be guyed down and function perfectly. Seems like a lot of work for minimal gain to have vertical legs.

There is a lot of stress on those tubes, joints and mounting points if you are set up with anything less than or greater than 90°.

Different comfort levels of damage potential.

Dave

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Maybe, the fittings I removed from my awning are cast pot metal. No flex there at all. The double U shaped channel mounted to the vans rack is whats flexing. Check that, " Was " flexing .
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Finally gathered my bits to make the awning legs more adjustable for adjusting for slope.
A job for a future winter day……..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Anyone know how much one of these complete awnings weighs! I don't see that spec on the NAPA website?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTSA2525?impressionRank=1

Thanks for any weight info!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Maybe, the fittings I removed from my awning are cast pot metal. No flex there at all. The double U shaped channel mounted to the vans rack is whats flexing. Check that, " Was " flexing .

Ahhh, I already wondered about this difference a few pages back. I called it a cost cutting measure, which it may or may not be. Regardless, your clever mod addresses what may be a shortcoming of the NAPA relative to the ARB.

vanis13 wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
If the NAPA awning has a cast aluminum counterpart to the black plastic part ARB it will likely bend poles and mounting points more easily in a wind or when being mishandled. The black plastic piece on the ARB awning flexes to protect the other parts (I've seen this in action). Probably not a big deal but it's an example of a design compromise to cut the cost.

when did aluminum become inexpensive compared to plastic?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

When energy in China became free.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

ahh the power from flooded farming villages

you guys get alot of rain over here huh... Idea
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Just got an ARB awning screen room. Hopefully next week I can set up the awning and attach the room to see how well it works. Will upload details then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

There are two sizes of add a rooms make sure you have the right one,Don't know if they will fit a Napa awning but if the basic dimension is the same can't see why they would not work.
We have a ARB awning and love the add a room . However be aware that once its up you are there for awhile .Although it does not take long to put up It would be wearysome to take it down just to go the the store etc.
Tim
87 Westy
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

The NAPA awning is 8x8 which is the equivalent of ARBs 2500x2500, part # ARB813108A for the awning room. The other one is 2500x2000 and is only 6'x8'. Everyone says the awning are almost identical so I don't think there will be any problems.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Got the chance to attach the ARB awning room to my NAPA awning today. It fit just fine and will make a great place to sit away from the bugs. I am going to move my awning a bit forward on its mounts from where it is now to get the sliding door opening completely within the opening of the room. I also added a stiffening pole to the center of the awning. Pics show it all. Just wanting on silicone hose to fix my boost problems....I hope.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

can you show a pict of the rolled up package? just wondering on stowage...

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

The awning room is about the size of a cold weather sleeping bag all rolled up but maybe a bit longer. The thing is stored in my Sears trailer right now but I will try to get a picture tomorrow. BTW the only hard part about installing the thing is that you have to slide the thing onto the awning mount. Don't know why they didn't used a zippered piece to slide on like on the end of the awning. It could just reside inside the awning cover until you zipped the room on it. Oh well, small sacrifices.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Thanks guys.

What I really want to know. How is the fit of Rocky Mountain, GW, or North Westy brackets (Non drilling style) with the Napa awning? Are they compatible? “Plug and play?” Some mods needed? If I’m going to throw down the $ for brackets. I want to know what I’m getting into. Thanks again for the feedback. Looking forward to mounting this up soon.

Both the GW and the RMW brackets will have to be drilled for the awning to bolt up.

Probably overthinking this. I picked up some #10-24 x 1/2 fasteners. Boy they seem small to support this awning. There’s seems to be a lot of float/play/slop in the predrilled hole on the RM bracket. Is this normal to help align the screw with the jam nut in the track? Should I use the larger top holes on top of the bracket with thicker bolts or the second set of holes with the fasteners I have. Before I start drilling. I want to get this right.

Thanks for any advice

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Reply with quote

#10 bolts are way too small for that. I used stainless 5/16-18 x 1" (I think) in redrilled RMW brackets. My awning came with ss 5/16-18 x like 3" bolts but I happened to have some 1" so I used those instead of cutting the longer ones down. BTW, with these or any stainless fasteners, always put a dab of grease on the threads or they will gall and seize! Best case scenario is the bolt wrings off, worst case is that the head starts spinning in the aluminum awning track and you have to hacksaw it off balancing on a ladder! (ask me how I know Rolling Eyes )

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

My own rule is 3-4 threads past the nut means I'm good. I'd also be using either a nylock nut or lockwashers in that application, so borderline even on that and yeah I think the diameter is too small.
JEL91Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

I took a different approach to modifying the joints. Opened the hole to form a slot with a 1/4 bit, then took a course file and rounded the joint.

10 min. or so each, and they allow enough play to accommodate as extreme an angle as I think I may need during setup.

My awning is mounted on the pop-top, and I have a triangle shaped section attached to go from the front post to the front of the luggage rack. Gives extra head room, and allows me to open the front and side flap when raining. I will post pictures the next time I set it up.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Since I was asked. Here are some pics with the ARB Awning screen room rolled up in its bag. No small thing but it could easily fit in the luggage rack!!It is about 12-14" in diameter and about 26" long. Fits really nice in a space in my Sears trailer.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

JEL91Westy wrote:

Brilliant, affordable and effective - well done! I can see this treatment happening on the WonderVan.

Thanks for posting! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: $99 NAPA Awning- Copy of ARB? Note: 10/21 out of stock?? Reply with quote

Nice work JEL, watch the awning manufacturer change their casting. After the casting change was done it wouldn't increase their cost at all to make them that way. My way would.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: