Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onscrean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Definitely interested in this as I was told there could be an issue with mine. Ive got a 1987 2.1GL automatic.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Any updates? Really hoping this comes to market. Thanks!

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Sign me up for one too please!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

I am restarting this project after my last partner decided to quit.

I have another engineer working with me now and we are collecting info again. What we are trying to understand is exactly how the unit behaves under different conditions.

The unit receives a signal when you crank the engine. Someone suggested that when it gets that signal it opens the valve all the way to help with starting the engine.

We are also trying to completely understand the affect of engine temp on the stabilizer unit behavior.

Testing we have done show that the unit raises the engine idle by 50rpm when there is power steering load. I assume it's the same for AC. I also know it does something similar when you set an automatic into Drive.

Basically trying to collect as much info as I can about the unit.

If anyone cares to contribute, that would be great.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

I am restarting this project after my last partner decided to quit.

I have another engineer working with me now and we are collecting info again. What we are trying to understand is exactly how the unit behaves under different conditions.

The unit receives a signal when you crank the engine. Someone suggested that when it gets that signal it opens the valve all the way to help with starting the engine.

We are also trying to completely understand the affect of engine temp on the stabilizer unit behavior.

Testing we have done show that the unit raises the engine idle by 50rpm when there is power steering load. I assume it's the same for AC. I also know it does something similar when you set an automatic into Drive.

Basically trying to collect as much info as I can about the unit.

If anyone cares to contribute, that would be great.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in seeing what controls the valve then here's a scope image of the readings. Basically the yellow square wave opens and closes the valve really fast to a point that the valve barely moves.

Blue reading is hall sensor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ejsmall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Hello Zoti... I was just online about to order a ICU rebuild for my '86 Vanagon and stumbled on this thread and seeing the work you've been doing over the past year.... are you getting close? My van is put away for winter, so I could wait if your on track to offer product soon. Seems like maybe your project has stalled?

Thanks!

Last edited by ejsmall on Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Just curious, how does the ECU or ICU know when to control idle speed? What I mean is how do they know when the engine is in idle condition?
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Just curious, how does the ECU or ICU know when to control idle speed? What I mean is how do they know when the engine is in idle condition?
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:

You have an electronic echo (3 posts in a row).
The answer is from the idle switch located on the throttle body and the RPM signal from the hall sensor, located in the distributor, sending its' info to the main computer that would then relay the ICU to work.

Look at pages 43 & 43 from this;
http://www.mk2g60.yolasite.com/resources/Digifant/...rt%201.pdf
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:

The answer is from the idle switch located on the throttle body and the RPM signal from the hall sensor, located in the distributor, sending its' info to the main computer that would then relay the ICU to work.

BK
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Vana Guy wrote:

Idle switch and RPM is correct but they both go into the IACU directly (as well as into the ECU) but the ECU does not send any signals to the IACU. They share them.
ejsmall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

zoti, is there any ETA on your ICU module availability?
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

ejsmall wrote:
zoti, is there any ETA on your ICU module availability?

Not yet. We are working on a new prototype.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Here's another tease. This is the design of the new test board that will simulate some of the functions of the IACU.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Here's our engine simulator for bench testing the unit.

Link
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

That should streamline things greatly.
I am so glad I watched the video. It led me to "Project Binky". I think I am going to enjoy that series a lot!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

I've been following Project Binky from the beginning. So close now to done. It's an amazing series to follow, the fabrication is insane.
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Can I find that on any other service besides YouTube?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: