Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric motor for air compressor.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

The FIL gifted the boy and I a 40 gal maybe 50 air compressor and a blasting cabinet. The unit is currently wired 440/3 phase. 1730 rpm, frame E,type K, 1.5 h.p.

Two questions for anyone who knows, can it be rewired to run on 220volt?

If not any recommendations for suitable replacement motor?

Thank you
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

Take the lid off where the wires go in and see if there's diagrams for different voltages, most have a few wires you move to different terminals to change volts. But if you don't have 3 phase in your shop you are still screwed, you can't change that in the motor.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

Thanks BD, no three phase at home , gonna have to go with 220. Would i need more than the 1.5 hp?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

Blast cabinets are notorious air hogs (as is any sandblasting activity). You'll need a true 1.5 HP if you run hard. You can always nurse it and let the compressor catch up if you go beyond the duty cycle, but motors and output shafts of those motors are sized to the flywheel of the compressor, so verify that also.

I don't know the vintage of the compressor you're dealing with, but corrosion in the tank-bottom is a real concern if you don't know the history of it. If it's an ASME certified tank, it will (should) have large pipe plugs on the ends so that you can open it and inspect it. A borescope is another option. If you find advanced corrosion and pitting in the tank, it's scrap.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

I'm not really qualified to answer that question, I do know 3 phase motors seem to be smaller but do the same or more work, you likely need to go bigger, just don't exceed the capabilities of your breaker panel with the starting amps required.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

I will try and post a pic when i get home to Vermont, in Jersey now all loaded up and secured under a tarp. Yes large pipe plugs on both ends. Maybe some ospho followed by master series inside tank? IDK.
Price was right.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

You can run a 220 1 phase motor which will keep the amps down, HOU don’t need three phase.

a 150 psi air tank won’t let go with much fanfare if it fails. Bit of noise and then it’s done. 2400 psi gas cylinder is much louder
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

Motors are rated with Duty Cycles. If you want one that can run longer, buy a better Duty Cycle unit.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
a 150 psi air tank won’t let go with much fanfare if it fails. Bit of noise and then it’s done...

That's hilarious, you have obviously never seen a compressor tank blow. A 100 PSI tank will blow with muscle-truck force if the tank has a catastrophic failure...it will knock down walls and kill people. If you have any doubt, put a ball valve in place of the petcock drain, pump it up, then crack that ball valve wide open at a hundred PSI with your face right next to it and report back.

The vast majority of the time, a pinhole will start fizzling and that's your queue to toss it in the scrapper. But if it ruptures and unzips, look out, it will go off like a bomb.

Calvinater, not to be an alarmist, but google "compressor tank corrosion" and "compressor tank explosions" too, look at some of the videos and other published reports out there, then decide for yourself. Other things beside corroded tanks can cause compressor explosions, but do your due homework. If it's an ASME tank, it should have a dated serial plate welded onto it. Check the date, 25 years is the accepted lifespan. And keep in mind, for any given pressure, say 120 PSI, that's 120 pounds of force on EVERY SQUARE INCH of surface area on that tank, think about that for a minute. If an old weld or channel of corrosion decides to let go, it will unleash deadly force.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

A "VFD" or a "phase converter" can be used to run a 3phase motor on single phase.

1.5hp is pretty small, I would be skeptical if that is right, look at the amperage rating, it would be only 3-4 amps at 440

Most 440 volt motors can be wired for 220, but some cannot.
It would also say so on the motor rating plate if it could.

Once you know for sure what that motor is, you can buy the right VFD to run it, or replace the motor with some other motor of the same RPM & power.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

Ok here are some specs

IR model. 234 04
Ser# 30T 260296
1.5 hp
Amp 5/2.9 ( start up / vs / running ? )
Service factor 1.2
Frame 184, type k, code k

Set up for 440 three phase

Does any of this make sence to you ?

What should i get for 220/240 single phase?

Ps my FIL designed the stripes for IR .

Thank you

Just a carpenter trying to make this work.

Any more info needed let me know.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

WW Grainger will have most any electric motor you need.
Just call them, tell them the specs you have, the frame size, rotation and shaft size are critical.
Tell them you want a 220 and they will tell you what fits.be prepared for sticker shock, good electric motors are not cheap.
You might find that a new compressor from Home Depot might be a better buy......

S:Paid:GGL:CSM-2296:13W2P6:20500731&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_fiLBhDOARIsAF4khR3nAAISlL6k82rQv_H7dR2Qeu1ckjmesuGmax59N_zvK1HjwXMHFV4aAi7UEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds" target="_blank">https://www.grainger.com/?ef_id=Cj0KCQjw_fiLBhDOAR...lsrc=aw.ds

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

It's been a few years, but I've never regretted buying a compressor from Costco, just in case it's not worth resurrecting yours, Grainger always has the stuff, but you pay a premium for that convenience.

I think the 5 amps is starting and the 2.9 is running, you'll likely need a magnetic starter switch for it as well for 220 single phase.

Googling 3 phase HP Vs; single heads down a huge rabbit hole, much like the oil topic here, here's an example: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-mach...hp-326531/

Слава Україні!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

Unless I miss my guess a VFD would cost you more that a motor of the correct voltage and phase. Singe phase motors are also more money than 3 phase ones and larger in physical size.

The motor needs to match the compressor size not the tank. You cannot necessarily increase the compressor output by putting a larger motor on it. Pully sizes also effect the motor/compressor/rpm size match up. It may or may not be the original compressor on that tank.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Electric motor for air compressor. Reply with quote

yep you can run that on a VFD, no problem.
probably 200$ for a cheap drive or 400$ for a nice one.

my favorite is the KB electronics KBAC-27d
it's more expensive than some, however it is a sealed enclosure so won't die of dust, and it is all analog and easy to setup.
this drive allows running a 1.5 hp on regular 110 outlet,
or 2 hp on 220
I would recommend you run it on 220, but the ability to plug into a regular outlet might come in handy someday, in a pinch.

My buddy just gave me a little hitachi VFD and I got it working but DANG, darn thing has 50 different settings that you have to SET by pressing the buttons in a special order. And it's not sealed actually it has a tiny cooling fan.
Not suited for my.... shop environment. But will run a 1hp motor just fine until it doesn't.

More expensive....yes and no.
Starting the motor when there is pressure in the tank is troublesome.
there are several ways to do it.

-an "unloader system" that allows he pump to FREEWHEEL not actually pumping anything while the motor come up to speed. Good way, but then again more parts to break.

-just do it... and let what happens happen, switch sparks, lights dim, belts squeal, your army buddy ducks for cover Shocked

-a vfd that lets the motor speed ramp up slowly and smoothly.

BTW the pressure switch will need to be be wired to the VFD to turn it off when it reaches pressure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: