Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
When the key returns to the run position from the start position are all the key on items functioning? I have seen ignition switch electrical portions with failed run positions. The contact heats up and sinks into the plastic causing a no contact issue.

Good call.

The quickest way to rule that out would be a wire directly from battery + to the coil 15/+ posts. If no worky, your switch is probably fine.

--

Re-reading your posts, my guess is now on the tach (yellow wire) fouling up the spark signal to the ECU from coil negative. Disconnect the yellow wire and try again.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Make up a 14 gauge jumper with a spring clamp on one end large enough to somehow grab the positive battery cable end and on the other a small insulated alligator clamp, the whole thing needs to be long enough to reach the fuel pump, so maybe 7' or so. An added inline fuse on the battery end gives you extra points.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Could be lots of things but I'd make sure that the fuel pump is running when the flap is opened with the key in the on position. I believe that the double relay isn't used during starting but takes over once the starter is released. The ignition switch also uses a second set of contacts in the start position. If the primary set are worn out it may run while the key is in the start position.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I believe that the double relay isn't used during starting but takes over once the starter is released.

The trigger coil for the Fuel Pump side of the double relay is fed from both the #50 starter circuit and the points in the AFM. There is a diode that prevents backfeeding into the starter circuit once the points in the AFM close.
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie, ToolBox, SGKent, Wildthings, I'm willing to check out all possibilities and all suggestions.

I have to prep the house here in Northern NY for the winter and do some oil changes for our other vehicles. I also have to change the brakes and brake rotors on the minivan that we use to travel. As soon as that is done, I'll concentrate on the Bus. Hopefully by the weekend. I would hate to have to leave my Bus here but, it will be in a nice dry garage. It doesn't fit in my garage down in Florida and don't want to have it not running down there.

BTW, I also have a 1983 Pinzgauer 710K, the more muscular cousin of the VW Bay Window Bus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next project, eventually.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Sweet!, I'm jealous! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy!

Unfortunately, the last time it ran was 2015, then it started sputtering while I was on the road, I quickly turned around , made it home, parked it and it never ran again.
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

[Re-reading your posts, my guess is now on the tach (yellow wire) fouling up the spark signal to the ECU from coil negative. Disconnect the yellow wire and try again.]

Thanks Robbie. I disconnected the tach and it's still doing the same thing. Would that DK Blue wire have anything to do with it?

I tried tracing it to see where it goes after it goes through the rubber grommet with the red wire and it looks like they both connect to something, don't know if it's the starter or the solenoid, it's definitely on the same side as where they go through the grommet. Right side of bus. Of course each is attached to a separate stud secured by a nut. I'll try and get a picture of what it's connected to.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

did you get a noid light?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bosch+ii+noid+light&ref=nb_sb_noss
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

redruf wrote:

I tried tracing it to see where it goes after it goes through the rubber grommet with the red wire and it looks like they both connect to something, don't know if it's the starter or the solenoid, it's definitely on the same side as where they go through the grommet. Right side of bus. Of course each is attached to a separate stud secured by a nut. I'll try and get a picture of what it's connected to.

They don't look like stock wires to me. My tendency would be to take a picture of where they attach and then disconnect and remove them using normal care so as to not short anything out.
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
did you get a noid light?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bosch+ii+noid+light&ref=nb_sb_noss

Yes I did. Hopefully, to run tests this weekend.
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
redruf wrote:

They don't look like stock wires to me. My tendency would be to take a picture of where they attach and then disconnect and remove them using normal care so as to not short anything out.

I agree, they don't look stock. I'll definitely take a picture of exactly what it's connected to and post it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Your alternator belt looks loose to me. Probably has little to do with your no start assuming your battery is good.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Do a quick test of disconnecting the tach wire to make sure it isn’t messing up your FIJ signal. Unlikely but really easy to do.

How far up North are you from Albany? Might have some bandwidth next week.

By the way those KN filters aren’t causing your running problems but aren’t good for cars in general
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Do a quick test of disconnecting the tach wire to make sure it isn’t messing up your FIJ signal. Unlikely but really easy to do.

By the way those KN filters aren’t causing your running problems but aren’t good for cars in general

I'll disconnect the tach wire again and give it another shot. I'll see if I can get another air filter. Can I run a quick test without the air filter to see if it's not getting enough air?

I'm in Massena so about 3 hours away from your location.
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
When the key returns to the run position from the start position are all the key on items functioning? I have seen ignition switch electrical portions with failed run positions. The contact heats up and sinks into the plastic causing a no contact issue.

Thanks for the info, ToolBox. Yes, all switched items work. Surprised me, I was sure something wouldn't be working.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

redruf wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I'll disconnect the tach wire again and give it another shot. I'll see if I can get another air filter. Can I run a quick test without the air filter to see if it's not getting enough air?

Air filter

Yes you can. It’s a long term poor filtration that’s the issue. Don’t worry about it for now

If you are driving by ALB ping me and stop in today hello

It’s a good 4 hours to me, beautiful country!
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
redruf wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Air filter

Yes you can. It’s a long term poor filtration that’s the issue. Don’t worry about it for now

If you are driving by ALB ping me and stop in today hello

It’s a good 4 hours to me, beautiful country!

Thanks for the invite. Likewise, if you happen to be around the Massena area, give me shout. It will have to be next year since we're heading south soon. Unfortunately, we head west from here and take 81 not 87 to go south.
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

I took out the K&N Air Filter and attempted a start....again, it died after about a second. I started it again and gave it some gas and was able to keep it running, unfortunately, the tach was reading around 3k so I took my foot off the gas and it sputtered and died.
redruf Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Riviera Starts then dies after about 2 seconds Reply with quote

Traced the DK Blue Wire

From Engine Compartment

And...looks like it is taped together to the same Orange wire that goes through the engine compartment with it....

the Orange Wire is then taped/connected to lite blue wire which is then attached to the positive side of the coil

Now I'm really confused because the DK Blue wire is not connected to anything...???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: