Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermal imager.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Cross linked polyethylene.

You make all the joints with oetiker style hardware. It’s ridiculously labor saving, flexible, freeze proof, goof proof.

You can cut into it and splice is new fitting in 15 seconds.

The material in PEX is very nice. I save scraps of it I find for all sorts of uses...bushings...shims. Very chemical proof....and free around construction sites!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

I'm super interested in learning more about this product PEX for not only plumbing but other uses and being I teach technology I'll add this to my school shop for multiple uses. How does this tool actually keep the pressure of water from seeping through? I'm so impressed even though I don't need it but love this.

https://www.oetiker.com/Markets/Industrial-Applications/House-and-Garden/PEX-Plumbing

VW_Jimbo wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
WOW! WOW! WOW!

Also I don't have any water trouble but is PEX that plastic plumbing? I've been intrigued with that style being I'm old school and find it so challenging to sweat pipes so close to wood. I'll have to do some homework on that PEX.
Thank you kindly professor for posting this.
Linda

All PEX! Well except for any tie ins and manifolds, and the fittings at each valve body. There is a sweat to PEX fitting that you use at these locations.

I grew up sweating copper. Getting pipes through the walls was a pain in the ass! Still is, but it isn’t. Pushing curved tubing through 1-3/8” holes is no easy task! Especially since you can run a full length through several walls and joist cavities. It takes 2 big guys to pull and push this shit through. Epically the 1 inch stuff!

But if you have a basic understanding and the time, it is one of the easier things to accomplish.

We have completely stopped using Chinese copper. Too many problems! Until copper starts coming from another manufacturer, PEX has the #1 spot in my heart!

Love this info.
raygreenwood wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Cross linked polyethylene.

You make all the joints with oetiker style hardware. It’s ridiculously labor saving, flexible, freeze proof, goof proof.

You can cut into it and splice is new fitting in 15 seconds.

The material in PEX is very nice. I save scraps of it I find for all sorts of uses...bushings...shims. Very chemical proof....and free around construction sites!

Ray

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

Simple compression of metal in the right regime of elasticity.

See here , at 6:20

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qTw8OmbMA

There is a lot of engineering that goes into these so that the tension in the ears functions to keep the band in compression. The fitting is more expensive than a jubilee or hose clamp but from a manufacturing point of view it eliminates all the variability of torque and position of these old methods. That’s why it’s pretty much all you see on new cars.

I believe they are rated up to 200 psi
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

Just because I use this camera everyday, I am accustomed to this stuff. But I realized that you all think it is neat, so here is another one!

Customer stated they were having odd lighting issues. Some lights would go on, other would not. And then they would switch spots. It was all throughout the home.

First thing I did was take my IR gun and get a good read on the panel.

Here is what I see. Note: everything in the home is off! I made sure of it. Everything was unplugged from the sockets.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The electrical panel is sitting right at 82 degrees. Temperature outside was 80 degrees. So, not to big of a leap! But you see that one breaker that is orange. That is telling me something is going on! Lets get a closer look at that!

99 degrees. Okay, we definitely have something going on that is creating a bit of resistance! It may be here or in the house, so lets narrow it down!

First I pull the panel and do a good visual inspection on it. I pulled the cover and do a good visual inspection. I hit it with the camera. I want to verify if it is down stream or not.

Looks like the wire is also highlighted with an elevated temperature. Really odd, but lets go find out why! Pulled the breaker and cleaned everything up. Tightened all the screws. Believe it or not, these all get loose over the years!

Since we have the cover off, lets get the breaker out, clean the oxidation off of the contact points, tighten all the grounds, neutrals and hots! Does this sound familiar to anyone on these forums? Here is the panel all cleaned and tightened up.

Now lets go walk through the house! I do so, and point the camera at everything attached to the house's electrical system. One outlet at a time. And BAM!

Got me a light switch that has something going on inside the box!
This switch is on right now and has some heat.

I pulled the ceiling fixture and found a loose wire nut on the neutral side. Went back out to the panel and checked, still elevated. Back in to find the next item.

Then I hit the one I was searching for!

From that moment, I knew that this box has a few wire nuts in it and they are loosey goosey. I know from experience that these nuts get loose and cause all sorts of issues! I opened up the box and sure enough. Everything is loose, old and oxidized. I cut back the wires in the nuts, twisted them back together, smeared some dielectric grease on the assembly and renutted them (hot, neutral, ground).

That was the one! No more issue with the odd lighting. After I fixed it, I received a call from this customer, they told me they had paid 7 electricians to find the issue and not one of them could. They were ready to get a full panel replacement ($4500.00). They were telling a neighbor who is a good customer to give me a shot. I charged them $350.00 and solved their issue! Took me 2 hours total!

Hope you all enjoyed the story!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

Jimbo, you are the coolest! I love this stuff and never thought how valuable the imager is for electric problems. As soon as I get mine I'll be looking at my panel and all my wiring. I love the cleaning, tightening dielectric grease tips too! I didn't even give it a thought to tighten the screws even though I don't have any problems that I'm aware of. Looking forward to posting results.
Linda Applause Applause Applause

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Just because I use this camera everyday, I am accustomed to this stuff. But I realized that you all think it is neat, so here is another one!

Customer stated they were having odd lighting issues. Some lights would go on, other would not. And then they would switch spots. It was all throughout the home.

First thing I did was take my IR gun and get a good read on the panel.

Here is what I see. Note: everything in the home is off! I made sure of it. Everything was unplugged from the sockets.

The electrical panel is sitting right at 82 degrees. Temperature outside was 80 degrees. So, not to big of a leap! But you see that one breaker that is orange. That is telling me something is going on! Lets get a closer look at that!

99 degrees. Okay, we definitely have something going on that is creating a bit of resistance! It may be here or in the house, so lets narrow it down!

First I pull the panel and do a good visual inspection on it. I pulled the cover and do a good visual inspection. I hit it with the camera. I want to verify if it is down stream or not.

Looks like the wire is also highlighted with an elevated temperature. Really odd, but lets go find out why! Pulled the breaker and cleaned everything up. Tightened all the screws. Believe it or not, these all get loose over the years!

Since we have the cover off, lets get the breaker out, clean the oxidation off of the contact points, tighten all the grounds, neutrals and hots! Does this sound familiar to anyone on these forums? Here is the panel all cleaned and tightened up.

Now lets go walk through the house! I do so, and point the camera at everything attached to the house's electrical system. One outlet at a time. And BAM!

Got me a light switch that has something going on inside the box!
This switch is on right now and has some heat.

I pulled the ceiling fixture and found a loose wire nut on the neutral side. Went back out to the panel and checked, still elevated. Back in to find the next item.

Then I hit the one I was searching for!

From that moment, I knew that this box has a few wire nuts in it and they are loosey goosey. I know from experience that these nuts get loose and cause all sorts of issues! I opened up the box and sure enough. Everything is loose, old and oxidized. I cut back the wires in the nuts, twisted them back together, smeared some dielectric grease on the assembly and renutted them (hot, neutral, ground).

That was the one! No more issue with the odd lighting. After I fixed it, I received a call from this customer, they told me they had paid 7 electricians to find the issue and not one of them could. They were ready to get a full panel replacement ($4500.00). They were telling a neighbor who is a good customer to give me a shot. I charged them $350.00 and solved their issue! Took me 2 hours total!

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

Jimbo I see they also have a Pro grade which is a bit pricey, @ $375.?

Could I get good results from this one? I think you have the Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DM8DG1B/?coliid=I1GPF..._lig_dp_it
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
They were ready to get a full panel replacement ($4500.00). They were telling a neighbor who is a good customer to give me a shot. I charged them $350.00 and solved their issue! Took me 2 hours total!

you work too cheap

you should have doubled that charge easily

you took the time to invest in technology and know how to use it.

all of the 7 fools before you got paid, why shouldn't you?

i invested in this technology a few years back. it has been the single most money generating tool i own aside from scan tools.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Jimbo I see they also have a Pro grade which is a bit pricey, @ $375.?

Could I get good results from this one? I think you have the Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DM8DG1B/?coliid=I1GPF..._lig_dp_it

I have both! The Pro unit has a better resolution. Both use the same technology. The regular unit is a great tool! You can not go wrong with either of them!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
They were ready to get a full panel replacement ($4500.00). They were telling a neighbor who is a good customer to give me a shot. I charged them $350.00 and solved their issue! Took me 2 hours total!

you work too cheap

i invested in this technology a few years back. it has been the single most money generating tool i own aside from scan tools.

I hear ya! Loud and clear! I agree but have a different point of view! I am not THAT guy. I am me. I grew up poor and know how hard it is to afford the stuff you need as a family. I charge enough to make myself comfortable, my family does not “want” for anything. We have everything for a good life. Not everyone has that. Even some very wealthy people. I also believe that helping out other people is job one! I think a lot of us miss that point in life. Not me! I am a survivor. Grew up poor, went through SERIOUS shit and lived, was spared, to tell my story! Knowing what I know, walking in the shoes (boots) I wear, I choose to give, rather than take. If I was living a poor life, I would most likely change my viewpoint, but I am alive, breathing without assistance, walking with my own 2 legs and thinking with my mind! Even if they killed some of my gray matter when they were in my head. They managed to put me back together to complete my path to the summit!

I am a giver! If more people gave, more would have way less stress. Got to let you in on a secret I learned laying in the hospital for a several months at 28 years old. The world does not care about you! We are a sole grain of sand in a large desert. Now, go out and make the world a better place as long as you are able to do so!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

Jimbo, I love your philosophy on life and I agree 100% regarding generosity. Helping people survive life and get through tough times is essential for being a good human being. I love how you share these images and tips and I am super excited to order the cheaper pro model today. I told my students about it and they are super excited to see it in action.

One more question. Is there a model that doesn't use the smartphone sort of an old school stand alone? As I'll suspect in several years it won't work with my phone or a newer phone.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

you work too cheap

I hear ya! Loud and clear! I agree but have a different point of view! I am not THAT guy. I am me. I grew up poor and know how hard it is to afford the stuff you need as a family. I charge enough to make myself comfortable, my family does not “want” for anything. We have everything for a good life. Not everyone has that. Even some very wealthy people. I also believe that helping out other people is job one! I think a lot of us miss that point in life. Not me! I am a survivor. Grew up poor, went through SERIOUS shit and lived, was spared, to tell my story! Knowing what I know, walking in the shoes (boots) I wear, I choose to give, rather than take. If I was living a poor life, I would most likely change my viewpoint, but I am alive, breathing without assistance, walking with my own 2 legs and thinking with my mind! Even if they killed some of my gray matter when they were in my head. They managed to put me back together to complete my path to the summit!

I am a giver! If more people gave, more would have way less stress. Got to let you in on a secret I learned laying in the hospital for a several months at 28 years old. The world does not care about you! We are a sole grain of sand in a large desert. Now, go out and make the world a better place as long as you are able to do so!

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The world does not care about you! We are a sole grain of sand in a large desert. Now, go out and make the world a better place as long as you are able to do so!

i agree... no one cares about you.

not to derail the thread, also grew up poor and realized why that was at an early age...bad decisions.

like the people who pay some back yard hack to fix something that they mess up even worse then drag it to me. then cry the other guy took their money. well, i need to get paid too. sorry for your crap decisions.

anyway, i help out when possible. but you said it yourself...the world doesn't care. i expect zero when/if i need help.

what i realized growing up poor and reading about money/finances was if i run my life like a business there is no reason i should be stuck in the same cycle my parents were in. before i do anything i run a CBA and a ROI in my head to see if what i'm about to do makes sense.

have i done stupid shit? yea, like restore vw's Laughing but running my life like a business broke the cycle my parents were in. i do my best to be as fair as possible, but being the lowest price in town does 2 things....devalues you trade and only brings in bottom feeders. i'm not talking about the old man that has nothing and totally appreciates what you do, i'm talking about the old man that you can rebuild their entire house for a dollar and you'd be ripping him off...and he'd slam you all over town. i have zero interest in helping that kind of person

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The world does not care about you! We are a sole grain of sand in a large desert. Now, go out and make the world a better place as long as you are able to do so!

i agree... no one cares about you.

not to derail the thread, also grew up poor and realized why that was at an early age...bad decisions.

like the people who pay some back yard hack to fix something that they mess up even worse then drag it to me. then cry the other guy took their money. well, i need to get paid too. sorry for your crap decisions.

anyway, i help out when possible. but you said it yourself...the world doesn't care. i expect zero when/if i need help.

what i realized growing up poor and reading about money/finances was if i run my life like a business there is no reason i should be stuck in the same cycle my parents were in. before i do anything i run a CBA and a ROI in my head to see if what i'm about to do makes sense.

have i done stupid shit? yea, like restore vw's Laughing but running my life like a business broke the cycle my parents were in. i do my best to be as fair as possible, but being the lowest price in town does 2 things....devalues you trade and only brings in bottom feeders. i'm not talking about the old man that has nothing and totally appreciates what you do, i'm talking about the old man that you can rebuild their entire house for a dollar and you'd be ripping him off...and he'd slam you all over town. i have zero interest in helping that kind of person

We are on the same page! As a direct comparison, I get contracted by HOAs around here to find water leaks in structures. I recently did a community that had a few hundred condos. 5 attached unit pods. They were being reroofed. Problem was it was raining (this is several years ago) and the rain had landed on new roofs that leaked. They could not find the leak points.

Enter Jimbo and his camera. For $1600 a condo, I would go through and pinpoint the leak. ALL OF THE HOMES had the same flashing to wall issue due to underlapping of 3 major joints. Every home had the same signature. All in all, I lite up 58 homes in 4 days. You do the math! Camera paid for itself and I was compensated for the pictures and reports I had to draw up! I hate paperwork!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

I wonder how my Federal Pacific box would look under that camera

Shocked Shocked Shocked
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thermal imager. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Jimbo, I love your philosophy on life and I agree 100% regarding generosity. Helping people survive life and get through tough times is essential for being a good human being. I love how you share these images and tips and I am super excited to order the cheaper pro model today. I told my students about it and they are super excited to see it in action.

One more question. Is there a model that doesn't use the smartphone sort of an old school stand alone? As I'll suspect in several years it won't work with my phone or a newer phone.

Thank you! I have learned to always share my knowledge. It is how one moves up in life!

FLIR sells several stand alone units. So does Fluke. Both are great guns. The better quality picture you want, the more money you are going to spend! As with everything!

I like FLIR because of the overlay technology they have incorporated. The units are 2 cameras being mashed together. MSX technology is what FLIR calls it. Cool stuff!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: