Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eriba Pucks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95, 96  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:

Here are a few shots of the finished exterior:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This turned out SOOOO nice! Great work. I think I've seen your pics of this on the Much Facebook page as well. Thanks for sharing. I'm getting ready to do the window seals in our Puck as well. Might be contacting you for some pointers once the seals arrive from Eribasar. They've been stuck in customs for almost two weeks.... grumble.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

nynone4 wrote:
This turned out SOOOO nice! Great work. I think I've seen your pics of this on the Much Facebook page as well. Thanks for sharing. I'm getting ready to do the window seals in our Puck as well. Might be contacting you for some pointers once the seals arrive from Eribasar. They've been stuck in customs for almost two weeks.... grumble.

Thanks! There's definitely a steep learning curve working on an Eriba. I've done several VW's, but this was all new to me.

As I mentioned, I really regret not taking closeup photos of installing the window seals and red trim. It would have been super easy to see how to install them, but instead, I'll have to draw diagrams and try to explain. But yes, feel free to contact me and I'll help you however I can. Hopefully your parts show up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

The Troll is up for sale on this site now. We camp about 60 nights a year, and realized we hate having to choose between camping in the Bus or the Eriba. So we decided a Puck that we can tow with the Bus would make the most sense. It will be a drastic change from the 'luxury' of the Troll, but I think a Puck will be a better fit for us. Hopefully we will find the right trailer for what we want. Until then, we are happy to keep enjoying the Troll as much as we can.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause CanStan, I followed your build you have done an amazing job. What is your ideal Puck? Your listing is a bargain.

CanStan wrote:
The Troll is up for sale on this site now. We camp about 60 nights a year, and realized we hate having to choose between camping in the Bus or the Eriba. So we decided a Puck that we can tow with the Bus would make the most sense. It will be a drastic change from the 'luxury' of the Troll, but I think a Puck will be a better fit for us. Hopefully we will find the right trailer for what we want. Until then, we are happy to keep enjoying the Troll as much as we can.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Applause Applause Applause CanStan, I followed your build you have done an amazing job. What is your ideal Puck? Your listing is a bargain.

Thanks for the kind words. Ideally we'd like a Puck that is as original as possible. I don't mind doing the cosmetics again on an Eriba, but I really don't want to get into some else's lipstick-on-a-pig 'restoration', or a rotten, too far gone, down to the frame rebuild. Anything decent I've seen in North America is priced a lot higher than I think they're worth. Since they are a lot more common in Europe, the prices are lower. Even if I paid shipping half way across the world, I will come out ahead financially. If I happen to find the right Puck at the right price a little more locally, I would be more than happy to do that. But it's not looking promising.

I did have one person who asked me how hard it would be to pull all the dents and sand and paint the cabinets white. He also had grand dreams of installing a modern tile backsplash from Home Depot. This is exactly the thing I hate about the current vintage camper craze that's going on lately. Every $250 trailer is getting a weekend-long hardware store makeover, then re-listed for $20k.
I guess as long as they buy it, they can light it on fire for all I care. But I couldn't comprehend why you'd want to make this amazing original interior look like an Ikea catalogue? And the exterior has 50+ years of dents and dings, which is such a big part of it's history. I could have filled the dings and repainted the trailer white, but it was closer to a 'preservation' project rather than a 'restoration' project.
I told him the 2022 models are probably on the lot at the RV dealers, and he can probably find exactly what he's looking for there.
JackW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

I recently completed the modifications to the Eriba Puck I imported from the UK in March of last year - including rewiring it for 120V, replacing the gas bottle and connections with a 20 lb model, rewiring the fridge to operate on 120V from 240V and replacing the axle assembly with a new Alko unit from Germany.
I wound up with a bit more in it than I planned but its an exceptionally nice Puck that will serve my needs for many years. I couldn't be happier with it. Here are some pics from a recent camping trip in the Uwharrie National Forest in NC.

Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

JackW wrote:
I recently completed the modifications to the Eriba Puck I imported from the UK in March of last year - including rewiring it for 120V, replacing the gas bottle and connections with a 20 lb model, rewiring the fridge to operate on 120V from 240V and replacing the axle assembly with a new Alko unit from Germany.
I wound up with a bit more in it than I planned but its an exceptionally nice Puck that will serve my needs for many years. I couldn't be happier with it. Here are some pics from a recent camping trip in the Uwharrie National Forest in NC.

Nice combo Jack!

You might want to give folks an idea of the costs to domesticate a Puck to the USA standards for 120V, LP, etc. - in case others are looking to import & have the same budget issues to consider.

I'll be adding a Euro hitch to our `85 BMW 325e E30 Coupe at some point soon, & will update on that with our `70 Puck in tow when completed. So far we've been towing it with our `88 Westy with the GoWesty hitch receiver.

Merry & Happy Cheers!
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck & 1960 Avion T20
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

I sold my Troll (see above ^^^) in November, and last week I picked up a ‘68 Puck. I found it near Seattle, and after a few FaceTime chats and phone calls, a deal was made. I drove the 2500km (1550 miles) round trip in 2 days, fighting snowstorms and a closure through the Snoqualmie Pass just outside of Seattle. It was a long, boring drive east into Idaho and then north into BC and Alberta, but the Puck pulled great.
Overall, it’s in great shape, but definitely needs some spongy sections of the floor replaced. Having done that to the Troll, at least I know what I’m up against. Otherwise, it’s very complete. Most of the little bits and pieces are there, but I’ll be doing an order from Eribasar for a couple pieces, as well as all of the red trim and window seals.
The roof and canvas were redone a couple years ago, and the paint on the body is decent enough. I have no desire to strip and polish a trailer again. As nice as that Troll turned out, it was way too much work, and difficult to keep looking nice without putting lots of time and effort into the upkeep. So this project should be on the easier end of the ‘restoration’ spectrum. I was lucky everything about it was actually better than expected. It’s always stressful travelling a long way without being 100% sure what you’ll see when you get there. But thankfully the seller was a super honest and cool guy, and he made it sound worse than it actually was. I’ll post up some progress photos over the next few weeks as I get going on it.

nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:

Awesome. Congrats! Looks like a good one.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Can I join the club, with a Pan Familia from 1981? She will make good pair to my '74 Super.

Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Can I join the club, with a Pan Familia from 1981? She will make good pair to my '74 Super.

Yes - Familias & bigger Eribas have been on here too for years!

What a great little Familia!

Cheers! Popcorn
Tom
///////
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:

Looks great! Is there any work to be done or is it ready to go?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

nynone4 wrote:
Awesome. Congrats! Looks like a good one.

Thanks nynone4!
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

It's ready to go, but I would rather first check everything: gas connections, igniters, electrical network, brakes, suspension. Also, my wife is in charge of the personalization: some happier/hippy colors inside, upholstery, complete vacation package etc.
The single issue is that at some point somebody wanted to break into it and the rear window has a crack and I need to put back one window lock. Other small bits and pieces I would replace due to being worn out (like the door stop/hold open).
So we will do some work on it, but no blocking point for using it anytime.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Do we have technical documentation here, or is there another forum or site? Like electrical diagrams, regular maintenance etc?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Do we have technical documentation here, or is there another forum or site? Like electrical diagrams, regular maintenance etc?

There’s not much to be found here. I know there are some Facebook groups for Eriba’s but I’m not on there so I couldn’t tell you how to find them unfortunately.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

I started some work on my Puck. The floor was in sad shape. So bad it felt like you would fall right through it. The hardest part was undoing the 1000 staples where the wall vinyl meets the floor. Once I got those out, I was able to pull the floor vinyl, and most of the wood could be ripped out by hand in tiny rotten pieces. The good news is that although the floor was rotted, the frame is in pretty nice shape. No rust to be concerned about.

There was also a lot of time spent with pliers pulling out rusty screws that used to hold the wood floor to the frame.
Once that was done, it was time to make some repair panels. I decided to make 6 separate pieces to make it easier to install and get a nicer fit. There’s no way full width pieces would be able to fit under the walls and onto the outer frame tubes. It was lots of test fitting, pulling out to notch a spot, installing again, shaving a bit off a corner, test fitting again etc. But I was able to get a pretty nice fit. I still have the front 2 pieces to make. Then I’ll stain the bottoms, glue and screw them to the frame, and move on to recovering with vinyl.

Overall, it’s not as big of a job as I expected. I replaced a small section of floor on my Troll, and it was 1/8” plywood sandwiching 1” styrofoam with some wooden ribs for strength. It was a lot more work than this.
Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:

TZ -

When you have time evening or weekend, go back to the earlier posts in this topic, & you'll see a lot of older posts with info, parts, etc. for Pucks & bigger Eribas. I don't know how many will still be accurate links due to time & COVID.

One guy in Germany was reproducing the exterior trim strip seals, window seals, etc. from the original Eriba moulds, another German group was selling new, reproduction & used parts, and several in the UK & EU were making the replacement pop-top tents.

There is also the EriBasir guy in Germany who has loads of documents, history, models, etc. - as well as selling some parts - well worth checking for him in the older posts here &/or Google/Bing/etc. search for his website.

Eriba Folk is another good website to search.

Due to the smaller number of Pucks & other Eriba trailers here - most of us Eriba Folk across the pond here in the USA & Canada have to go to the UK & EU for our resto & replacement parts.

If you have access to Maxxis trailer tires where you are - they make an excellent trailer tire in the 10" - 15" diameter for our Pucks/Eribas - see Maxxis CR-966 ST145R10 tires here -

https://www.maxxis.de/catalog/trailermaxx-cr-966

I run Maxxis tires on both our 1960 Avion T20 (M8008 ST - see pic below) & on our 1988 VW Westfalia pop-top (UE168(N) LT - see pics below) - but unfortunately we can't get the smaller Maxxis CR-966 ST145R10 tires here - so we ended up getting Mini-Cooper types of passenger tires from the UK etc. in 10" P154R10 size (below).

https://usa.minisport.com/fal145x10-falken-sincera-sn807-tyre.html
> (You would use their UK website to order for the UK/EU/etc.)

In addition to the tires links above - here are some resources I have bookmarked that may be helpful to you -

https://www.eribasar.de/

https://www.eribasar.de/restauration/fenstereinbau/festfenster/

http://www.bugpuck.be/

http://www.oldiecaravan.de/Hersteller_A_-_Z/Eriba/eriba.html

http://www.typ3.com/puck/

Troll-Puck for the body & window seals -
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535505

http://www.alt-eriba-register.de/

There are many more listed in this long 94 pages of Puck topic, which are worth your time to go through them too for more resources.

There are also a few Puck/Touring/etc. owners on this FiberglassRV website:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/

FYI - You'll see our Puck on here & some of the other above forums in tow with our `88 Westy. I'm still working on getting an Euro Hitch adapted & installed on our `85 BMW 325e E30 to also tow our 1970 Puck.

Puck & Westy at AAA for DMV Title Transfer at our Purchase Oct. 2018:

Puck & Westy at Cachuma Lake 1st Camp-out with Puck Nov. 2018:

Avion with Westy at Newport Dunes Vintage Rally Sept 2017:

Puck & Westy at 2019 Pismo Vintage Rally:

PS - Many documents are actually posted as jpg etc photos on the individual posts on here - so you'll have to download them directly. There are also a lot of great how-to resto posts with pics throughout that you may find helpful.

PSS - Credit where credit is due for our Puck. When you're looking back in this Puck topic for the other forums & resources - you'll see several prior owners of now our `70 Puck in the pics above - including: Amishman/Tom, another PNW owner that I'm blanking on, & 68Bug-lite/Greg - all of whom deserve 99% of the credit for the work on & excellent condition of ours - especially Greg & Tom.

PSSS - We've not been out with either trailer since Nov. 2019 due to both COVID & home resto materials blocking the driveway, but I'll have several small work projects on both trailers to do before the next run - including belly-pan re-riveting, new tires & brake service on the Avion, wheel bearings on both, & miscellaneous cosmetic, maintenance, small repairs, etc. on both.

I'm also going to try to carefully remove the stuck black foam remnants from sticky-back carpet tiles from the original vinyl flooring that some DAPO thought was a good idea. d'oh!

Hopefully this helps & gets you started with your resto & refurb.

Good Luck! Lt. Blue Vanagon Cool
Tom
///////
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Thank you very much for so many details, Tom! I will read thoroughly. I know I have some typical new owner questions, but I am going through a thorough verification and repair where needed, so this is why I prefer to ask first before searching for hours... Good news is that most is in pretty good condition, not many modifications, so it is just a check.
What I want to do is the 12V net, and as electrical (electronics) engineer it's pretty simple. I will just add a fuse panel and make switchable power supplies for the battery: 12V from car during tow, solar panel, 220V/12V converter.
First repair: the sink tap did not control the water pump, there was an additional switch on the front to turn it on or off. Easy fix: the wires from the tap were cut, but the microswitch works, so easy to re-wire as original (plus a relay).

I forgot to mention, I am on Eriba Folks on fb since some time, I was also looking for sales ads.
Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Thank you very much for so many details, Tom! I will read thoroughly. I know I have some typical new owner questions, but I am going through a thorough verification and repair where needed, so this is why I prefer to ask first before searching for hours... Good news is that most is in pretty good condition, not many modifications, so it is just a check.
What I want to do is the 12V net, and as electrical (electronics) engineer it's pretty simple. I will just add a fuse panel and make switchable power supplies for the battery: 12V from car during tow, solar panel, 220V/12V converter.
First repair: the sink tap did not control the water pump, there was an additional switch on the front to turn it on or off. Easy fix: the wires from the tap were cut, but the microswitch works, so easy to re-wire as original (plus a relay).

I forgot to mention, I am on Eriba Folks on fb since some time, I was also looking for sales ads.

Glad to help TZ.

The only thing that we needed to do for our sink tap is connect hand & pump! Wink

PS - Ours is the "Export" model, which were sent to the USA semi-complete, to be fitted out with US 110V electrical & lights, LP Tank & Stove Top, & a few other USA/Canada specific items which were commonly used on travel trailers over here (Shasta, Airstream, Avion, etc.) so that owners could easily use & repair them over here. They were completed here in SoCal at their El Segundo CA plant I think (for ours anyway). I & others posted some more info on the Export model Puck further back, when you review this topic.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95, 96  Next
Jump to:
Page 94 of 96

Jump to: