Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshields - Where to buy?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
It’s good to be short. I have the band and doesn’t bother me a bit and since I’m short, it does help with late day sun. It is a FYG, no grinding needed. Fit perfectly.

Is FYG a company that makes the glass?
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

Yes, they are Fuyao, Chinese manufacturer that makes OEM glass for Subaru and Honda as well as aftermarket applications. I put one in my friends Bay and it fit fine. I did a TriVal (Plinkington, also made in China) in my Bay that was fine as well.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Yes, they are Fuyao, Chinese manufacturer that makes OEM glass for Subaru and Honda as well as aftermarket applications. I put one in my friends Bay and it fit fine. I did a TriVal (Plinkington, also made in China) in my Bay that was fine as well.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check on the manufacturer.
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

Tom's Imports over here in Columbia ,MO usually has a handful of new bay windshields instock..I have bought lots from him over the years....I think they are about $120ish?
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

I have brand new bay windshields, FYG with no tint/stripe. $200+tax, local pickup only.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

Does the dash or top panel need to be out to replace a windshield?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Does the dash or top panel need to be out to replace a windshield?

Nope. Rear view mirror comes out. Wipers and antenna are optional, station wagon folk need to mind the headliner.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

Is that $200 the sale price with free delivery, new German seal, and installation at that price? And does that come with a rock chip guarantee for the first 12 months / 12,000 miles? Laughing Is that local to you or local to the buyer? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

after spending a bunch of time studying this topic .. calling many windshield suppliers .. reading lots of forums, etc.. i can say this much:

the FYG would be considered the current "state of the art" for this application
(many years ago the FYG might have been crap but the opposite is true now)

and the XYG should be avoided if possible (but will probably work)

those will be the 2 most common brands that you will see

most windshield OEMs have been gobbled up through M&A

if you want a tint strip, you can also get the OEM windshield used on Mexican buses...the Vitro (aka "Crimenix")...but i'm not so sure it's that good.

what robbie is offering is basically as good as its going to get

i dont think you are going to see a holy grail Sekurit/Saint-Gobain bus windshield with a DOT27 stamp on it, or even a PPG, or even a Pilkington.. for that matter.. and if you do find some fancier make, i bet you if you look up the DOT # on the glass, it will cross reference to one of friends over in CCP ... like XYG Smile all windshields should have a DOT # on them - and the database is published - you can figure out precisely where your windshield came from

that said, another option -- West Coast Metric claims to have Brazil OE ones ... but i think your safest bet is the Fuyao Glass (aka "FYG") ... and the overseas made examples are, ironically, known to be better than the FYG made in the US in the plants they took over in Detroit or South Carolina....

I have a FYG in one of my buses and its nice. im putting another FYG in to replace it .. with 3M Crystalline CR80+ nano ceramic tint installed on the glass pre-gasketing ... can't even tell it's there but posts performance #s like a limo black out film ... Smile

here is one supplier's (www.expressautoglassinc.com) take on windshield quality, ranked from best to worst:
Sekurit
Pilkington
Guardian
Fuyao
AGC
Mopar
Carlex
Carlite
AP Tech
PGW
ATI
Vitro
TriVal
XYG

the only thing that is tricky ... i believe certain Pilkington/Guardian are actually rebranded cheaper ones like XYG .. so be careful and check the DOT# if you can .. and look it up in the database ... it will tell you who REALLY made the windshield ...

that said, probably irrelevant/moot since not all those people offer a BUS windshield... and u can entertain all the high-falutin' windshield aspirations you want but you will probably end up back at FYG as your best option

good luck out there
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Is that $200 the sale price with free delivery, new German seal, and installation at that price? And does that come with a rock chip guarantee for the first 12 months / 12,000 miles? Laughing Is that local to you or local to the buyer? Laughing

I have a coupon for the optional mud bath / trail wash down too….
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Windshields - Where to buy? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I have a coupon for the optional mud bath / trail wash down too….

can you send me a copy, I have a collection of novel VW coupons it can be added to. My understanding is that "The Holy Grail" is the yellow bucket scrubdown coupon. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: