Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are notchbacks illegal?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Some folks say that they can hear plants screaming 😱

Hmmm... I have wondered about that...

The anti-meat crowd say that killing animals to eat is cruel but what about the plants eh? Just because they communicate in a frequency higher that our normal auditory perception can register doesn't mean they don't scream!

And some of them get eaten alive!! Shocked
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
In some neighborhoods you wouldn't be able to park anything older than 3 years old in your driveway without incurring the wrath of the neighborhood association. You got off lucky!

I call BS
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yeah, the problem usually isn't the board itself, but a nosy/noisy neighbor who has nothing better to do.

I had one complain that the gardener started 15 minutes early "making excessive noise." They were not talking, no radio, and were pulling weeds BY HAND. How can that possibly be "too noisy"?

I am on our HOA board and I have little patience for that crap. But not all are so reasonable.

You're exactly right. The problem is that ones where somebody reasonable like you seem like the exception, not the rule. Plus, when you move on, somebody else will step in. For many, it's the most power they will feel in their life. Honestly, it is very sad, but also results in a huge amount of annoyance to others.

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
oprn wrote:
In some neighborhoods you wouldn't be able to park anything older than 3 years old in your driveway without incurring the wrath of the neighborhood association. You got off lucky!

I call BS

Oh, it can get worse than that!

I was listening to the radio a while back, talk show about HOAs and some guy got on there and told his story. He recently moved to some ritzy neighborhood, his daughter was going into university so he bought her a brand new F150 to drive back and forth. A complaint was lodge and the HOA ruled he could not park that truck in his driveway, it was devaluing his neighbour's property value. A Lincoln pickup would be acceptable but not an F150!

My daughter got a ticket for parking the wrong way at the curb. She did it because that was the only way the extension cord would reach to plug her car in.

A Buddy of mine got a ticket for selling cars without a dealer licence when he parked his car at the curb and put a for sale sign in the window.

Yes it gets worse, and the OP got off easy.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

We just bought our house last December, and one of my main things I stressed to our Realtor (great guy, in all honesty!) is that I absolutely refused to even look at houses in HOA neighborhoods. Never again will I put up with that nonsense.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

Are notchbacks illegal?
If they aren't -- they should be.¹

See Road&Track road test. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/magazines/road_track_5_62/VW_1500_4.jpg
With 1493 cc engine it accelerated from 0-60 mph in 24 sec. It could hardly get out of its own way. Embarassed

By comparison a 1963 Opel Kadett with a 993 cc, 4-speed manual went 0-60 in 18.8 sec. That's a 21.7% reduction in elapsed time on an engine with a 33.5% smaller displacement. https://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/1963/2411345/opel_kadett_1000.html
My '63 Notch goes from 0-60 in 15 sec. That's with 1678 cc, dual carbs, dual port heads, slightly better cam -- .387 lift with 1.1 rockers, 254° advertised duration.

¹This applies to a stock Notch. Ask the man who owns one with a modified engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

Since when is safety a function of acceleration rates? That right there is a load of bull!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

Well, there have been times where I was able to avoid a collision by stepping on the accelerator rather than the brakes. Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

As in when you pull out in traffic when it is not safe to do so?

Now I agree that an underpowered car can be a bit more difficult when merging into fast heavy traffic. That takes more driver skill and maybe route planning for sure but busses and trucks manage it as do work pickups pulling trailers. Are we going to ban them for their lack of instant launch capability?

If you are going to make notchbacks illegal you better include fastbacks, square backs, all type 2s, older Beetles, mopeds and small motorbikes, early Honda Civics and a host of other vehicles.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
We just bought our house last December, and one of my main things I stressed to our Realtor (great guy, in all honesty!) is that I absolutely refused to even look at houses in HOA neighborhoods. Never again will I put up with that nonsense.

The first real estate I owned was a condo with an HOA. It was a constant pain. After that I swore to never own a property with an HOA.

Several years later we bought a home in Northern California. Standard single family residence on a small, quiet street in a very small town. Midway through the escrow our Agent calls up and tells us that there is an HOA covering the street. This had not been disclosed before.
My next words are "Deal is over".
Agent: "Please listen."
Me: "To what?"
Agent: "There are no dues. There are no meetings. There are no committees. There are no common areas."
Me: "Huh?"

Turns out the entity who subdivided the land into lots in the 70s had dreams of an upscale neighborhood with high standards. Completely out of character with the small town. Once the lots were sold and the houses were being built the owners decided they wanted nothing to do with the HOA and the rules. They just let the HOA fade away.

A real estate attorney I consulted told me that that most likely this is no problem. The legal entity still exists but has no assets, liabilities or reasons to exist. I asked some of the full time residents if they wanted to make the HOA go away. Their attitude was to leave well enough alone. They are there yeah round (and keep an eye out on our house) so I just let it go.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yeah, the problem usually isn't the board itself, but a nosy/noisy neighbor who has nothing better to do.

Karens & Darren’s.

The police showed up at my door, saying a neighbor complained about “abandoned” cars in my driveway. (Doesn’t “in my driveway” signify not abandoned?)
It was my Scion (not running, needed starter) my pickup/daily driver, plus my Squareback (usually garaged but I’d been driving since the weather was nice).
All but the Scion had current registration, insurance.

Fraking Karens! Evil or Very Mad

I just wonder who called, since most driveways around here have 2 cars. Except 1 neighbor: Has a work truck, his pickup, wife’s car, daughter’s car, son-in-laws car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

Very cool car though I could see someone comparing after a couple weeks. The missing fender was probably the worst. But when you get it running again and a fender & light functioning I'd leave it that way. It'll please the "patina crowd" and also shut-up your neighbor who I assume you don't have much of a relationship with in the first place.

We have a local ordinance where I live of no overnight parking and only one (1) hour parking during the daytime in the street. And it's a dead-end. It's never been enforced and in the 25 years I have lived here no one ever called the police because of a car. But the ordinance must be from someone or some incident that happened a long time ago I suppose? We live by Iona College and they don't have a lot of student or faculty parking there, just a guess.

Why didn't you just push it back into your driveway anyway, not like it's a Cadillac?
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Are notchbacks illegal? Reply with quote

My nearest HOA is about 40 miles from here.

My area has a 1-acre minimum, and until about two years ago, half of the lots were empty. Then we got "discovered," and now most of the lots within half a mile have homes on them. Some of the people moving here really should stay in the city, but most are learning that we live and let live in this neighborhood. Don't be a nuisance or noisy (most of the time) and we all get along ok.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: