Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Problem
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: front disk brakes overpowering the rear drums Reply with quote

Was the solution to the front disk brake problem ever resolved? I have a similar problem with my 71 Ghia. the front disk brakes seem to always overpower the rear drum brakes such that the front tires skid whenever I hit the brakes with just a little bit more pressure than usual on dry pavement. The front tires skid very easily on wet roads. I feel like all the braking force is on the front and almost none on the back.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrected after 4 years? Shocked
I sure hope the original poster has resolved the issue and didn't become one with a stationary object!

Well, late last summer I replaced a cracked (original) brake fluid resevoir. During power bleeding I had trouble with a spongy pedal and couldn't really get it as firm as it should be. I went on a short test drive. The pedal would sink nearly to the floor. I found an empty lot, got out and started working the pedal back and forth making sure it was fully retracting. The pressure and firmness returned. I believe that the m/c rod was not returning to it's proper position. There's a vent hole in the master cylinder bore. If the rod doesn't retract properly the fluid can't build sufficient pressure to power the brake cylinders.

fosd; The issue you describe seems more to do with old swollen brake lines. They will look fine from the outside but can swell nearly shut. This constricts the flow. With each succesive application of the brake pedal the fluid pressure increases, making the calipers bind. If you are unsure of there age, replace them and see if that resolves the problem

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

fosd; The issue you describe seems more to do with old swollen brake lines. They will look fine from the outside but can swell nearly shut. This constricts the flow. With each succesive application of the brake pedal the fluid pressure increases, making the calipers bind. If you are unsure of there age, replace them and see if that resolves the problem

Screen capture from Bug Me Video of a new and old brake line.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question. Is Dot3 fluid correct for a Ghost with disc brakes up front.
Thanks !

WTB- Billet center caps with Wolfsburg logo

72 Ghia Vert project
Bodywork http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303542&highlight=
Re-assembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4762737#4762737

72 Beetle Weekend Driver, restored in the 90's
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=353424

www.airsuckers.com

Last edited by 72Ghia on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bezzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy fix guys, The rear brakes are not working correctly Wink Be certain the Master C is working properly, and insure rear rubber hoses are new, and slave cylinders are not froze. Very Happy

your symptoms are same as a non-working rear brakes.

Clue, if you pull up emergency brake and then put on brake pedal it's, fine, right???

good luck

Bezzer
1970 Ghia
Ghia Newbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Rear Drums for 1 inch shoes 4 lug Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me with some questions and answers
I have a 1967 VW Karmann Ghia and am having problems with fitment of the brakes
I am doing restoration on brakes. I purchase a rear brake drum kit from Rockauto ( drums, shoes wheel cyl) My rear brake shoes are 1 inch wide and sent me much wider 1.5 inch brake shoes and drums
and the drums seem wider too. ( will the wider rear brake drums work with 1 inch shoes?? using 4 lug wheels also wheel cylinder seem wrong. out too far

Has anybody else had this problem, or do I need to change the backing plates too. i just Need a little expert advise help please
Mike
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drums for 1 inch shoes 4 lug Reply with quote

Ghia Newbee wrote:
I am doing restoration on brakes. I purchase a rear brake drum kit from Rockauto ( drums, shoes wheel cyl) My rear brake shoes are 1 inch wide and sent me much wider 1.5 inch brake shoes and drums
and the drums seem wider too. ( will the wider rear brake drums work with 1 inch shoes?? using 4 lug wheels also wheel cylinder seem wrong. out too far

Has anybody else had this problem, or do I need to change the backing plates too. i just Need a little expert advise help please
Mike

I return the parts to Rockauto, and contact a supplier who deals in air cooled parts. Before you buy the brake parts the next time, call the supplier and make sure they will fit.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Ghia Newbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Drums for 1 inch shoes 4 lug Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Ghia Newbee wrote:

Mike

I return the parts to Rockauto, and contact a supplier who deals in air cooled parts. Before you buy the brake parts the next time, call the supplier and make sure they will fit.

Thanks CiderGuy for the info. Most web Auto parts suppliers want you to purchased on the web
When you call them it's usually someone that knows nothing about the parts. Internet Operators FWIW

I really looking to see if you can find Rear Drums 9" with 4 bolt that fit 1" shoes... or you use the wider drums? or live with it or have them machined

Thanks Again
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Problem Reply with quote

Looking over my notes I realize I neglected to thank KingKarmann for his excellent advice on brake hoses. I now have my very own picture of totally constricted brake hoses from my '68 Ghia. I am now a true believer in replacing these hoses. Thanks again KingKarmann. You're the King!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Problem Reply with quote

Yeah, that may cause a bit of slowdown problems!!! Good to know another Ghia is in the neighborhood.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: